Family Tree ID Walk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Hi all,

Recently I signed up the Frountier Bushcraft Tree & Plant ID Masterclass For Bushcraft & Survival online course so this weekend we went for a walk around the local lake to feed the ducks.

DSC_0273.jpg

DSC_0231.jpg

Walking around the lake myself and my Son started to look at the finer details, focusing on the buds, catkins and barks.

IMG_20160229_152442.jpg

IMG_20160229_153207.jpg

Later in the day we meet up with my brother and his family and went for the second walk of the day

DSC_0376.jpg

We came across a few other interesting items for the kids to investigate.
IMG_20160229_152805.jpg

Not forgetting to take note of the trees along our route.
IMG_20160229_153039.jpg

The sun went down on another weekend in Oxfordshire
DSC_0428.jpg

Doing this course really made me realise how bad my winter tree ID is, around the lake was lots of alder and ash, but I found it hard to positively ID much else. Our walk out in the Oxfordshire countryside was a lot more varied, lovely oaks in the hedge rows, lanes outlined in horse chestnut and lime, hedgerows with Hazel and Elder and what I think was hawthorn(but did not investigate too deeply)

Lovely weekend and starting to look at tree identification in a different way.

I have left the photos unlabeled so feel free to reply with answers to what they are.

Cheers
Tim

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Good stuff Tank, thanks for sharing. We used to spend a lot of time on trees, plants etc and the kids knew many of them really well, i think we've lost the plot on it now though, need to get back into doing it...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE