Tree ID needed..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Don't know what this is, the fruit is about 10 mm in diameter, yellow orange in colour and the seeds are white. The bark is a grey colour and the leaves are dark glossy green on top, toothed, with a whiteish underneath and a reddish colour midrib. I've contacted a number of professional organisations looking for an ID and they've all come back with a different answer.. Can any of you guys help?

IMG_0525.jpg
[/URL]

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I would have said some kind of Crataegus (hawthorn) and a bit of a google shows something like Crataegus mexicana has similar leaves and stems.

Last edited:
It's growing in mixed deciduous woodland, there's a couple of the trees close together .. It's definitely not any sort of rose and my initial thoughts were also a sorbus of some kind ( even thought orange whitebeam at one point) but this one is proving difficult even for the professional organisations!

ledders666

Jun 6, 2010
bath
I would have said some kind of Crataegus (hawthorn) and a bit of a google shows something like Crataegus mexicana has similar leaves and stems.

I would have thought similar.

Can you get more photos of the leaf top side and underside, the buds on smaller twigs, and double check the ends of some twigs for thorns, picture of the bark to?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Looks like a thornless hawthorn, but the berries look washed out, like they were red, or never ripened fully

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Mexicana was just a bit of a guess, the pics of the fruit I've seen don't seem to have the flush of pink to be an exact match, There's a large number of different hawthorns though and I expect many cross so it could be a hybrid even.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Crataegus punctata var. aurea according to the text at the bottom of the pic. (Not sure the leaves match though).

Nope, some thought pyracantha but it doesn't have thorns, some thought a type of crab apple (malus), but no one really has any idea.. I've one guy who's going to get back to me after the weekend as he wants to show the pics to some prof or other, so I haven't given up hope yet, but it seems to be a real mind stomper!!

But I'm really thinking about the Cretaegus punctata that slowworm mentioned above, it's the closest I have seen and although the leaves are not absolutely identical, allowing for regional variations, I really think he's nailed it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE