travelling with military rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Yes they are unwritten, but understood for example one of the Indians I know Guneet is a perfect gentleman and travels alot however when getting a connecting flight in the EU to another EU country he is searched as is his wife. Fair no, understandable yes and he and his wife will put up with it. So yes it is racial profiling but they are part of a at rick group so get searched even if I was travelling with them.

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
The only problem that I've ever had when travelling with a Berghaus Bergan is that airlines/airports are not keen on loose straps and buckles and will frequently give you a large, heavey duty plastic bag to put it in. I think this is purely from a practical point of view and that's fine by me as I don't want to be the one who buggers up the baggage carosel with several hundred people keen to get where they are going!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I wouldn't worry about it, I have flown into and traveled in some far flung places, often wearing a 5.11 shirt, sometimes carrying a karrimor sabre, just try to be smart (ish), don't let officials take the mick and have a smile for everyone and you will be fine.

Catfish1972

Feb 11, 2013
London
It depends where you are going. I've flown to Malaysia, Indonesia and Peru with various army surplus bags without any problems. I did get a comment from the taxi driver taking me to Heathrow one time, though. He said that if I tried to fly into DR Congo with my army surplus rucksack then I would be immediately arrested on arrival.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Surely if you were intent on doing something naughty(being polite) on a plane/airport etc it would'nt mater what type of bag you carried said naughty thing in? as such why would you be anymore suspicious carrying your stuff in a military pack as a civi one?

you'd be just as likely dressed as a member of staff

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
It depends where you are going. I've flown to Malaysia, Indonesia and Peru with various army surplus bags without any problems. I did get a comment from the taxi driver taking me to Heathrow one time, though. He said that if I tried to fly into DR Congo with my army surplus rucksack then I would be immediately arrested on arrival.

You might find yourself being arrested in the DR Congo for no real reason at all. :)

My experience is of the countries in Southern, and West Africa, no probs to date. As with all destinations try to look clean and tidy and like someone who has every expectation of being hurried through any entry procedures with the minimum of fuss and delay, which is usually what happens.

If you look like you haven't washed in a few days, if your clothes are a bit tatty, if you look nervous or worried or concerned that your paperwork isn't as it should be then you might be marked out for 'a special tax' usually payable after a very long wait.

This sort of thing didn't happen so much when we had big paperback sized black passports that looked like the Queen (or at least her husband) had personally issued it to you. These flimsy little red things allow customs officials to confuse you with the Belgians or French. :)

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
How is it NOT breraking the rules against religious profiling when the cultural clothing in question is religious clthing? I.e. a burqua?

Burqua etc are not religious clothing. They are Arab culutral dress that has spread around the muslim world -- must to the disgust to some older members of the Pakistani community here. Its the "muslim" version of Coca-Coke - Imperialism.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
How is it NOT breraking the rules against religious profiling when the cultural clothing in question is religious clthing? I.e. a burqua?

Burqua etc are not religious clothing. They are Arab culutral dress that has spread around the muslim world -- must to the disgust to some older members of the Pakistani community here. Its the "muslim" version of Coca-Coke - Imperialism.

Perhaps. The courts (here at least) see it a bit differently. But even if we follow your explanation (that it's "Arab" dress rather than religious dress) it goes from "religious" profiling to "racial" profiling as it targets Arabic (Semitic) people.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
The only problem that I've ever had when travelling with a Berghaus Bergan is that airlines/airports are not keen on loose straps and buckles and will frequently give you a large, heavey duty plastic bag to put it in. I think this is purely from a practical point of view and that's fine by me as I don't want to be the one who buggers up the baggage carosel with several hundred people keen to get where they are going!

This is the same for me. I find they're more bothered by loose straps than the actual look of the bag.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
I travel alot in airports and generally with a 90L green bag with the usual PALS and clips all over. Never really had any issues in the UK or Eastern Europe, I stand out for sure and clip all the webbing down... no issues at all.

Paul72

Nomad
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Ireland
Dunno if it helps but i've walked through Heathrow with a camo rucksack on my bag and didn't have a problem. The only funny looks were from people who thought I was ugly.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When travelling by air with a rucksack I have always put it in a home made bright red sack that has a tie top and sealed seams - plus a loop for attaching the luggage label.
The sack is big enough to act as a rucksack liner, floatation aid (for river crossings), gear store (for extra room in my one man tent) and survival bag.
I made mine from 4oz PU proofed nylon but lighter options are available.
No issues with things getting ripped off, pockets pilferrred, customs forcing entry, cammo gear atracting attention etc

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
On the racial profiling note- I think its fair to say that picking out all the asians would be classed as unacceptable but picking out all the people (regardless of race) in baggy clothing like burkas is fair enough when you consider the concealment aspect.

And as far as bags go, never had a problem. As others say, its more straps and buckles they have a problem with- just tie them all up before you hand your bag over at check in, at most theyll stick it in a tray and itll be first out at the other end Happy Days!

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
I travel with my sabre 75 with no problems, I use a karrimor air travel bag to pop it in at the airport so there's no loose straps and it also doubles as a sack cover

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE