travelling with military rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
I think his question may have been aimed at georann, who thinks that singling out passengers clad in the burka would be reasonable to those affected and who wouldn't see it in any way as profiling ...

I think it's fair to say that it's a question which answers itself and should have been written in 'sarcastic font' ?!!

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
After 17 years in the Military and often using my Kit Bags for my own use too I've never had a problem. I don't think any official would look at someone with a Mil-Spec bag as being Sinister in the slightest. If you're dressed like Rambo you'll either just be pitied or ridiculed. If any suspicion was there it would be related to the higher possibility of 'sharps' or 'flammables' being present. If you were out to cause harm you'd be a little more inconspicuously attired after all.

Returning home from my last Tour in Afghan I landed at Brize and went straight to Heathrow for a Civi connection back home (I was based in Scotland back then) and didn't have time to change. That was awkward I'll admit. Especially having to take my helmet and body armour on as hand luggage... But, it was me who felt awkward, at no time was I harassed by airport staff.

It's all common sense really. If you're going hiking in a predominately Islamic Country, or a known trouble-spot you may want to tone it down a bit (a lot!). I personally wouldn't even consider going anywhere where I felt I could be at risk of danger. If you're worried about what bag you have then I'd not bother going there. After all, where's the fun in spending your hard earned holiday time constantly on edge?

I've been spat at and threatened in the UK whilst wearing my Uniform to and from work. I've also been invited to share dinner with locals in both Iraq and Afghanistan... Go figure.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Get a rucksack bag for it...

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/rucksack-travel-cover-p155463?gclid=CKym4sn8zLkCFTPItAod4F8ASA

9752-260410142956891847858.jpg

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Treadlightly, you'll be fine. I fly the things and use a rush 72 as a stopover bag. Military type/style bags are common sights in the hold as civilian fashion actually emulates the military style right now. Pals/molle is oft seen on the trucks

Have a good trip mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE