Trangia copy Lidl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Anthonyyy,
I don't want to dampen your bonfire there buddy, but the only bit I can see as being described as stainless is the grill! with the rest if the set being aluminium.

Though I doubt if you were on a budget you would argue about £6.99 ;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Ogri the trog said:
Anthonyyy,
I don't want to dampen your bonfire there buddy, but the only bit I can see as being described as stainless is the grill! with the rest if the set being aluminium.

The Irish and British sites give a slightly different description. Irish: "stainless steel grill pan" whatever that means. British: "stainless steel grill rack"

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
PC2K said:
waiting till that is for sell in the dutch lidl!

Idem dito :D

IIRC We've got scuba gear this week: wetsuits (full length or the surf dude :cool: type thingy), goggles, vins, etc. And the week before that we had fishing gear :D
LIDL - the shop for the low budget bushcrafter ;) :D

Any of you guys already purchased one (or two ... or three ... ;))?? What about the burner? Same quality / type as the Trangia one? Any comments or thoughts on the kit?

Cheers,

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
ahjo, this week is tool sale at the dutch lidl, scuba kit was last week.

and uh.. that trangia stove there are talking albout is only for sale next thursday... So i quess we have to wait another 6 days before we can hear anothing about the quality.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I was looking at this as well it looks OK for the price I'll have to go do check it out. My trangia set (I think a 25) is showing it age and one of the pots has a small hole so this might a part time replacement set.

My set is not much heavier or that much bigger then my alu SAM set, but I can't fit my food in the civi set which is the big diffenence.

Will certainly give it a look do. They are also doing 60tlr dry bags.

James

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
surely the stainless steel "rack" is just gonna be like the three flip-down/up rests that holds the pan above the burner on the real tranny??

i've already got the real thing but i'll be sure to check em out.

cheers fot the tip :)

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I had a quick look in Lidl today (stove available from monday in Ireland, Thursday in Britain).
All aluminium.
For my trangia copy (different make) I use a non stick frying pan I picked up in a pound shop that fits - works just fine for frying.
Looks fine though I couldent see what the burner looks like.
Well worth £7

{For my trangia copy (different make) I use a non stick frying pan I picked up in a pound shop that fits - works just fine for frying.}

By the way in Ireland they are also selling a dry bag which is pretty robust but a HUGE 60L.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
PC2K said:
ahjo, this week is tool sale at the dutch lidl, scuba kit was last week.

and uh.. that trangia stove there are talking albout is only for sale next thursday... So i quess we have to wait another 6 days before we can hear anothing about the quality.

Sorry for the late reply mate.
Thanks for the info! Next monday overhere :D hmmm sweeeet ;) :D I'll have look by than.

Cheers

fa11en ange1

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
Dover, Kent
www.fragraceandgame.com
I picked up one of these yesterday to see what it was like. When I got it home I did a quick boiling test to compare it to my Military version. I supplied the same amount of fuel to both, used no lids and was trying to boil 1/2 a pint of water on each.

The Swedish Army version boiled in approximately 7 min, much as it always does. The Lidl version however never reached a full rolling boil, despite leaving it to burn for 20+ minutes. I had treated the burner in exactly the same way as I had the SA version when new, in that I let the wick soak up one load of meths and then refilled before using. The Lidl burner stayed alight for the duration of the test but never seemed to achieve the 'gas ring' effect of the SA burner.

So I'm curious, did I do something wrong in getting the thing going or is the burner just duff? I suspect it may be an issue with the burner because there are fewer holes in the ring and they are all a lot larger than the proper Trangia burner.

Also the Lidl burner is a touch smaller than the SA version. Is the Civi Trangia burner also smaller than the SA version? If so I'll just replace the burner as the rest of the kit is perfectly OK. Failing that I can always adapt the burner stand to fit the SA burner.

Wavey Davey

Jul 8, 2005
Suffolk
fa11en ange1 said:
I picked up one of these yesterday to see what it was like. When I got it home I did a quick boiling test to compare it to my Military version. I supplied the same amount of fuel to both, used no lids and was trying to boil 1/2 a pint of water on each.

The Swedish Army version boiled in approximately 7 min, much as it always does. The Lidl version however never reached a full rolling boil, despite leaving it to burn for 20+ minutes. I had treated the burner in exactly the same way as I had the SA version when new, in that I let the wick soak up one load of meths and then refilled before using. The Lidl burner stayed alight for the duration of the test but never seemed to achieve the 'gas ring' effect of the SA burner.

So I'm curious, did I do something wrong in getting the thing going or is the burner just duff? I suspect it may be an issue with the burner because there are fewer holes in the ring and they are all a lot larger than the proper Trangia burner.

Also the Lidl burner is a touch smaller than the SA version. Is the Civi Trangia burner also smaller than the SA version? If so I'll just replace the burner as the rest of the kit is perfectly OK. Failing that I can always adapt the burner stand to fit the SA burner.

The civvy Trangia burner is about 70mm in diameter across the reservoir, with about a 3mm lip to support it. The Swedish one is about 84mm across, with a similar lip. The business ends of both are the same.

Couldn't see the Lidl one in Ipswich yesterday.

fa11en ange1

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
Dover, Kent
www.fragraceandgame.com
Cheers chaps,

I've ordered a replacement Civi burner now, although it cost more than the whole Lidl kit!!! But on the bright side It means I'll have a kit that should perform as well as the Trangia 27-1, but for about £30 less :D

Plus I can have a fiddle with the cheap burner and see if I can get it working properly, giving me a spare.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE