trangia argument

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

what type of stove?

• gas

Votes: 105 21.9%
  • trangia

Votes: 375 78.1%

• Total voters

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
For me this is the problem with several polls of late, missing out the obvious options. Gas trangia stoves are very efficient and gives the best of both worlds. So, if you answer Trangia, or gas, what do you really mean? What does the result mean? :dunno:

But if you are using a gas conversion, then surely you are using gas?

Is the trangia a windshield, or a stove?

The question is "gas or trangia?" ...which implies gas stove or trangia burner, since it's silly to compare a fuel type with a windshield. Perhaps it should ask "gas or meths?" to be more accurate.

Anyway, back to the argument... :)

A few weeks ago, I bought a jetboil and for what it does, it's awseome. Talk about fuel efficient. It will bring 250 mls of water to a bouncing boil in 90 seconds flat. So what I hear you say? well that means an awful lot of boils out of a single, tiny 100g cartrige of gas. You have to carry a litre of meths to get the same from a trangia - and a litre of meths weighs a kilogram. The jetboil is fast, convenient, thrifty and easy to use. For cleanliness and fuel efficiency, it knocks spots of the trangia.

But... the point is it's not perfect for every situation. For cold weather, altitude, power output, boiling snow and access to fuel, you cant beat a petrol stove. But that doesnt mean you should take one on every trip.

Sometimes a trangia may be preferable than either gas or petrol. It depends on what you are doing, what you need from the stove, where you are going, for how long, at what altitude etc.

I dont think it's possible to simply answer gas, meths or petrol to a "which is best?" question.

The stove which lives in the back of me landy is the jetboil - the convenience of it is impossible to ignore. I can add 250mls of water to it, light it with the pietzo ignition, set it on the wheel arch and by the time I've added coffee to the cup, the water is boiled. The stove has cooled and can be packed away long before I've finished me cuppa. It's the nearest thing to having an electric kettle that I've found. Because the stove connects to the pot with a bayonet mount and because the pot is insulated, you can even hold it in your hand while it boils.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
To make things more complicated:
I prefer the Trangia... with either the meths stove, the gas unit or with the Optimus Nova fitted inside.

Albeit a bit in the heavy side sometimes, I think its the best windshield/pot combination around.

/ Karl

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
To make things more complicated:
I prefer the Trangia... with either the meths stove, the gas unit or with the Optimus Nova fitted inside.

Albeit a bit in the heavy side sometimes, I think its the best windshield/pot combination around.

/ Karl
I agree with you 100% carl, for sole trips I use the smaller Trangia 27 with the meths burner (unless its winter) but when my lad is with me I use the larger Trangia 25 and Nova burner ( usualy burn kerosene these days), which in my eyes is the best stove/combo available (much the same as the KAP Arctic). A serious setup for those who want more than hot water or noodles;)

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I don't get the argument about meths smelling. Sure it does but gas stoves give off carbon monoxide which doesn't smell but is very dangerous. surely it's a case of the better the devil you know :argue:

In case you hadn't guessed I love my Trangia :D

Now I am sure someone will correct me if I have got this wrong, but I am pretty sure that any fuel being burnt will give off CO (Carbon Monoxide) and CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) and of course is the silent killer be it gas or another fuel. Also Charcoal will give off huge amounts of CO...

LS

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Now I am sure someone will correct me if I have got this wrong, but I am pretty sure that any fuel being burnt will give off CO (Carbon Monoxide) and CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) and of course is the silent killer be it gas or another fuel. Also Charcoal will give off huge amounts of CO...

LS

If you want a real deep sleep in your new tipi with a woodburner stove, then burn charcoal and hope your flue is working well;) Any stove in a tent is a killer in the making, be very, very, careful comes the winter and you want to keep warm; spend extra on your sleeping bag or clothes and keep safe. Warm drinks and food, plus a hot water bottle will make a big difference to your sleep

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Think it's a case of picking the right stove and fuel for the job. My choices:
Trangia - have the SAT and will take the burner and a saucepan for a 1 or 2 day wood walk in summer. The whole lot is too heavy, and from my experiences with the large trangias with scouts years ago the large set is way way too bulky. Difficult to light in strong wind, but does the job dependably once you've got it lit. Pretty much bombproof, but my big big hate: the fuel stinks. Until you've spilt meths inside your rucksack you have no idea... Plus, for longer walks it's not that efficient. Less energy per unit weight. I know there's an arguement that a trangia is a complete cook set too. Thing is though, a crusader cup (under a water bottle) and spoon and I'm sorted. If I fancy it I'll stick a mess tin and lid in as well. Full of food - almost no more bulk. That isn't really an arguement for me.
Gas - light, reliable, great for summer mountain use in the UK. Mine doesn't like wind very much (not sure about others - got a years old cheapo millets one) and performance goes down badly on snow or in the cold, hence summer use.
Petrol - my winter mountain stove of choice. Efficient, fast and powerful (great for melting snow), a little more bulk and weight than gas, but retains it's performance in cold weather. My biggest problem used to be reliability with MSR stoves. Used to find myself chucking a hexy block in as well, just in case - the MSRs did used to fail on me once in a while. Now got an Optimus nova. Expensive, but worth every penny. Easy to use and has never let me down.
My two cents worth :)

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Have used trangia's in the past and hated every minute, slow, smelly, bulky and heavy.
True gas stoves are a crime against civilisation, but for a quick brew nothing faster.
Personally i use MSR's XGK for most of my campsite and travel need's, but recently have converted to my Hobo stove for everything, just can't use it everywhere, SHAME:(
Blasphemer? Damn straight :D
Gas converted tangia? just buy/make a windshield you sellout's :umbrella:

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
Modern gas canisters contain isobuthane, which turns into gas at around -10c, compared to regular buthane which is at 0c. By using this propane/isobuthane combination, you can keep going at -10c and even longer if you just keep the gasbottle warm.
The good thing about gas is that it contains almost twice the energy than meths, but the downside being the canister itself.
It love my jetboil, but i have yet to try it in harsher conditions, according to the webpage, paople have been using the system far up the mountains in quite cold weather. But i think I would bring a multifuel burner for that :)

B

bushyboo

Triangia

recently got a swiss army one and have used it ever since used a colemans duel fuel
before that and always found it heavy and bulky and you still had to keep it out the wind my triangia boils 1 pint of water in around 7 and a half mins which is plenty time to put up your tarp and hammock
never liked gas and you cant beat a small fire:headbang:

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have used Trangia stoves for about 25 years on and off. I think you have to realistic about what they can do, but they are so popular because they are fool proof - i regularly run D o E Award training and expeditions and always use the SA trangia because they are reliable, cheap, easy to use and safe (once shown!).

However i also have a Crusader mug and cooker combo, an optimus omnifuel and several gas stoves. What i carry on the day depends on where i am going, what the weather conditions are, how high i am going and who i am with!

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Mini trangia for me
One of the pluses that has not been mentioned is that you can see how much fuel you have. How many of you have shaken the can before you went out only for the flame to go out during your brew up... ; )

O

oilyrag

I have been an avid fan of the Trangia 27 for many years but recently came across the Swiss military version. It has a better design with the saucepans stacking whilst cooking to keep one warm whilst the other cooks etc. I picked one up for under £7 in excellent condition. They're made by Meta of Basel, can't find any info on them anywhere.

I've no interest in any company making/selling them etc.

antwerpman

Apr 29, 2006
belgium
I could perfectly fry meat in the trangia pan, but the burner should go for a minut to get its maximal heat output. As for the smelly fuel, that's true for the methylalcohol sold in Britain and Ireland. I go often camping in Ireland and discovered that the meths were very expensive and that a disgusting smell was added. Also the fuel there was blackening the pots. The methylalcohol sold here in Belgium ,costs about 1 € a litre(in a 5 litre can), is colourless and doesn't smell or blacken the pots.I used gas and colemanburners for many years and since 4 years a trangia . I like it a lot and will never go back. Excellent for cooking,no burned on pots, reliable, cheap and no noise

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I have been an avid fan of the Trangia 27 for many years but recently came across the Swiss military version. It has a better design with the saucepans stacking whilst cooking to keep one warm whilst the other cooks etc. I picked one up for under £7 in excellent condition. They're made by Meta of Basel, can't find any info on them anywhere.

I've no interest in any company making/selling them etc.

A very nice setup there, similar to the SIGG Tourist Cookset:cool:

mazeman

Forager
Jun 7, 2007
Porthmadog, Gwynedd
I've used my Trangia for almost 20 years and it's still doing fine, the only things I've done is replace the O ring seal a couple of times and clean it occasionally. It's been bashed about in all kinds of ways and has an 'interesting' look to it, and works fine. Faultless!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've used my Trangia for almost 20 years and it's still doing fine, the only things I've done is replace the O ring seal a couple of times and clean it occasionally. It's been bashed about in all kinds of ways and has an 'interesting' look to it, and works fine. Faultless!

Are you talking about a proper Trangia stove set or the heavy slow burning Swedish army junk? I'm a great fan and advocate of the 25 and 27 series, the 27 is always my stove of choice from my collection on a solo trip, simply because it is 100% reliable:) :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE