trangia argument

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

what type of stove?

• gas

Votes: 105 21.9%
  • trangia

Votes: 375 78.1%

• Total voters

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Compared to gas stoves the triangia is bombproof.

Might not boil your water as quick but what can go wrong with it compared to a gas stove?
For me the Triangia wins hands down!!:)

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Now I've voted gas but to be honest I use all sorts if I cant have a fire (hard in a tent 1/2 way up a mountain I use petrol / diesel / yaks urine (apparently) well anything that my XGK will burn. But having said that I also use take a gas stove (old epi alpine) if i'm car camping or a trangia burner and homemade stand to give a second ring / warmer if i'm not concerned with the weight

So pretty conclusivly i can say - I use all sorts an love am all in the appropriate situation! :rolleyes:

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Adi007 said:
Good point - I have stacks of half-used ones.
I bought a gas light that fits on top of the cylanders for £15. We use it at camp if we come in after dark while we get the tillies or petrol lamps sorted out.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I have used many types of stove over the years and always come back to the trangia, its just so reliable and easy to use.

I use the gas convertor (£26 from the outdoor shop sale last month) for most of the year but meths if its going to be below 5deg as the gas really struggles unless you keep the cylander warm. :(

I never trust the cover on the burner to stop leaks, and always burn the fuel right off. I use a trangia brand meths bottle and have found that if I pour it out the saftey nozzle I get 5 minutes burn time for every count of "one" pouring, so for example 15 minutes burn is "one.. two... three.." :)

I too use the nonstick frypan although it is a bit heavier and have a multidisk strainer to stop it getting scratched by the base.

I don't get on with the kettle, mainly because round here everything gets furred up very quickly and aluminium pans get skanky very quickly.

For standing camps I use a standard 1ltr stainless kettle which fits on top just nicley but is only really of any use with the gas convertor. :D

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
I know the trangia's perform well in wind, but you should see my Primus omnifuel in action. I tried to blow it out, but couldn't! The heat output is incredible and it burns all liquid fuels + most gas cartridges!

Can't go wrong with that. Also, one bottle of coleman fuel will get me a lot further than a bottle of methanol.

bjorn

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
When I started out about 17 years back I was introduced to gas. Ok it worked even if it was a bit of hassle in the cold. Then I read about Trangia. Got one a year later and have never looked back.

Sure they can "seem" slow but you know they'll get there in most conditions.

Can't argue with anyone about them being bombproof either :D

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
A difficult one to decide on. If I'm off to the hills, I'll take my Optimus Nova - wonderfully hot and controllable, compact, not especially light but I don't generate a useless empty gas canister at the end. For most other events, I take my Swedish Army Trangia with a civvie burner (with simmering ring, etc.).

Gas? Only ever for the ultra-lightweight, few-days-only type trip.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Well, I've got a couple of petrol stoves, the superb optimus nova and equally superb optimus 111c, I've also got the trangia converter for the nova, which again is super. Obviously I also have the alcohol stove to go with the trangia - actually I've got abou half a dozen of em. But I've just ordered a "jetboil".

Philisitne I hear you shout. :lol:

Well, they all have their place. As others have said above, they pick the stove that is best suited to what they are planning on doing. The optimus 111c is a superb base camp stove or a car camp stove, super-solid, reiable and powerful. The nova is the backpack equivalent for serious cooking on extended camps. The trangia is great too. It's super simple and ultra-reliable and gets thrown in the sack for any casual jaunt. But there is a place for gas too - or at least the jetboil. I bought it because all the other stoves I have are fiddly, or slow or smelly or any combination. Gas is quick, powerful and clean. I plan to keep the jetboil in the back of me landy for those "fancy a quick brew" moments. It only takes 90 seconds to boil, is very stable (you can boil up while holding the cup because it all screws together), I can use it inside the landy without worrying about priming, or smelly fumes. It's also a good, compact day-trip brewing machine. Just throw it into a side pocket and you're good to go. It wouldn't be my first choice "do it all" stove, it's too limited for that, but it has it's place. I dont think it is fair to write off any one particular stove/fuel setup in the search for the holy grail. They all have merits ...and shortfalls. The jetboil isnt even a little tiny bit bushcraft, but so what? It does what it says on the tin. :)

tanto

May 29, 2005
Sweden
I have had problems with the fryingpan. The heat would be concentrated in the middle and a lot of soot. I solved it by bending some sheet metal in a triangle shape and putting it in the windsheild to get the burner higher up. Each side is 120x55mm.

Trangia-7.jpg

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
so I´m not the only one with a raised burner under the duossal pan .... :rolleyes:

I´ve drilled 3 holes in the upper windshield and use 3 modified st/st bicycle spokes (you´ll get them pretty cheap as new ones at your LBS or nearly for free at the recycling office). Don´t take galvanized steel spokes as they tend to rust and may be harmful to the aluminum made windshield.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
since they´re located underneath the flames I wouldn´t worry too much about that. The burner itself reaches low temperatures only

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
If i'm off to the hill's then i'll take liquid fuel, MSR xgk or similar for the quick boil, general camping with friends then it's the gas for ease of use and lack of smell.
Trangia's are gutless thing's at the best of time's, smell, are totally uncontrollable (lucky their not hot ay?) and take up more space then i'm willing to share :ban:
As for using a gas burner with your trangia? sell out :D

Rod

On a new journey
Sickboy said:
If i'm off to the hill's then i'll take liquid fuel, MSR xgk or similar for the quick boil, general camping with friends then it's the gas for ease of use and lack of smell.
Trangia's are gutless thing's at the best of time's, smell, are totally uncontrollable (lucky their not hot ay?) and take up more space then i'm willing to share :ban:
As for using a gas burner with your trangia? sell out :D

Yep there's nothing like petrol all over your kit when you kakked up XGK pump leaks , or worse bursts apart. Even scarier if the stove is lit up. Even more fun in a tent! But don't lets not have nightmares.

If your trangia smells you are doing it wrong. All you need to do is make sure that the simmer ring is properly aired and dried before you pack the stove away. About the only maintenance a trangia needs. Unlike, an XGK...

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
My favourite Trangias are T25 or T27 depending on number of people, of course with Duossal or titanium pots. I´d take the stainless steel (for sure not the aluminum one) army version if I´m going to use a camp fire every once in a while.

T28 (the mini) as it comes from the store is for sure not light and not mini, just a waste of money IMHO.

A light Trangia stove IMHO would be: the Trangia burner and homemade windshield that fits your favourite pot (similiar to the Caldera Cone - or get exactly that one. The Caldera burner is much lighter but can´t be used for transporting fuel, you need to calculate the weight of a fuel container) - make sure the burner doesn´t get in contact with the ground and you´re fine.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
cyclist said:
My favourite Trangias are T25 or T27 depending on number of people, of course with Duossal or titanium pots. I´d take the stainless steel (for sure not the aluminum one) army version if I´m going to use a camp fire every once in a while.

T28 (the mini) as it comes from the store is for sure not light and not mini, just a waste of money IMHO.

A light Trangia stove IMHO would be: the Trangia burner and homemade windshield that fits your favourite pot (similiar to the Caldera Cone - or get exactly that one. The Caldera burner is much lighter but can´t be used for transporting fuel, you need to calculate the weight of a fuel container) - make sure the burner doesn´t get in contact with the ground and you´re fine.

Why not the aluminium 25 or 27?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE