trangia argument

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

what type of stove?

• gas

Votes: 105 21.9%
  • trangia

Votes: 375 78.1%

• Total voters

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Yeah, I'm a Trangia convert, too. A few years ago I bought a "28 Mini" model and I've never looked back since. I got tired of using MSR petrol stoves and having singed eyebrows due to flareups and cracked o-rings and clogged jets and burning my dinner because the damn things don't simmer worth a damn. They seem to have two settings: Off, and "Lets Start Welding."

Okay, in all fairness, petrol's fast to cook on, melts gallons of snow in minutes and the fuel's a bit more available worlwide. Well so what, I don't mind waiting a few more minutes for my meal too cook or melting a wee bit of snow, and the fact that my Trangia doesn't make any noise is also a bonus. (At least I can have a conversation when I'm cooking instead of having to shout!) :D

Adam

stonyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 8, 2004
Gloucester
I've got a Trangia with both the Meths burner and athe Gas conversion kit, The gas tends to light easier in the colder weather and the meths better in warmer weather, I have used meths in -3 degrees and it lit okay, but you do need a decent ignition source.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Adi007 said:
Here are my observations:

Pros:
- Cheap to buy/run
- Simple, easily maintained
- Fuel easily available
- Lightweight

Cons:
- Smelly fuel
- Not as efficient as gas/petrol
- Not as clean as gas
- Little flame control
- On/off control primative
- Not enough heat for a fry-up!

I like my Trangia burners but they are nowhere near as powerpul as an MSR petrol stove but they are simpler and less hassle.
I converted my trangia to gas years ago and never regretted it. Still prefer a wood fire for cooking though.

tanto

May 29, 2005
Sweden
This depends a little wich Trangia set you buy and what components you use. I use the 25-7 with duossal 1.75, 1.5 litre saucepans, fryingpan and the 1 litre fuel bottle when im out. IMHO it basically comes down too these things listed below. The rest is depends on weight restriction, wallet and preferences.

+
Reliable
Long lasting
Modularized

-
Slow
Heavy
Risk of spilling

Im thinking of getting the Multi-fuel additon to my Trangia. On one hand you got the bombproof and light standard burner. But the other burns unleaded petrol or kerosene/paraffin. You can adjust the flame and turn it of when you are done. No spilling accidents = more secure.

multifuel.png

Power: appr. 2850 Watts/9700 BTU. Weight: 440g (burner and pump including fuel bottle). Boiling time 1 litre of water: appr. 3,5 minutes with the above mentioned fuels.

If i can find several good reviews that its reliable, if i get the money, if...

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Ahhh, the Trangia Nova, ...it's actually a cut down Optimus Nova, a blimmin brilliant stove in it's own right, in fact one of the best ultralight petrol stoves on the market. If you get the Optimus Nova instead, you can get an adapter to turn it into one of these...

Start with a nova...
optnov09.jpg

Get the adapter...
trangnova1.jpg

Strip the nova...
trangnova2.jpg

trangnova3.jpg

Attach the adapter...
trangnova4.jpg

Install the adapted nova into the trangia windshield...
trangnova8.jpg

trangnova9.jpg

Away you go...
trangnova02.jpg

It packs down nice...
trangnova06.jpg

trangnova07.jpg

...and it's all reversable.

If you want to read reviews, start with reading reviews of the Optimus Nova, buecause it's the same stove.

The adapter is about £10. If you try and find a secondhand Optimus Nova and add a new adapter, you may save a lot of money, plus retain the versatility bof the original stove.

In terms of power and controlability, the Nova is in a totally different league to the trangia. It's simply ferrociuos by comparison, but will adjust down to a gentle simmer too. For the most part, the regular alcohol stove works fine, but for long trips or expeditions, or cooking for more than one, the petrol variant takes the trangia setup to a whole new level.

There are downsides, it's more fiddly than the regular alcohol stove, you are using petrol instead of alcohol and that has additional considerations. The nova also needs priming and pumping, like all petrol stoves. But these things are relatively minor considerations and once you get used to using the stove, become much less of an issue.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Now don't laugh to loud hard. i mite hear you. Got this burner just to try things out did all kinds of pot stands why cant i make the trangia set up like you buy. The bottom is a alum. fry pan the top is a sauce pan alum the rest you can see. It works for me

tanto

May 29, 2005
Sweden
Martyn said:
Ahhh, the Trangia Nova, ...it's actually a cut down Optimus Nova, a blimmin brilliant stove in it's own right, in fact one of the best ultralight petrol stoves on the market. If you get the Optimus Nova instead, you can get an adapter to turn it into one of these...

Thank you for the excellent post. The kit just got more interesting. :)

Just found Martyn's Trangia Nova review on BB. For those that are interested follow this link.

oops56 said:
Now don't laugh to loud hard. i mite hear you. Got this burner just to try things out did all kinds of pot stands why cant i make the trangia set up like you buy. The bottom is a alum. fry pan the top is a sauce pan alum the rest you can see. It works for me.

Isnt using knowledge and materials available what defines bushcraft? I like your work!

Best Regards

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
I personaly prefer the swedish army type, yes a little weighty but very reliable..
dont like gas much as it is not much good to me 'coz I travel on aircraft alot and cant take gas with me, gel, well its good to preheat multifuel types but thats about it, Hexi' well I'll just pick my self up off the floor while I reach for my resporator.... , Hobo stove, not bad but alittle messy for me, dribble stove (oil and water) very hot but again too fiddly and messy.

Karl

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Jon said:
You can buy a Trangia with a gas conversion kit. Runs off standard gas cylinders.

Best of both worlds :eek:):

Biggest mistake I ever made was not buying the gas covertor when it first came out.

Trangia is the business.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
anthonyyy said:
Does the gas conversion kit for trangias fit the fit the army version?

No, they dont.

I also converted a stove to fit the trangia. I used mine old primus mulfti-fuel stove (MFS) and made a bracket from an old piece of metal (old metal cover from a old PC) Work fine, the only problem seams it won't get enough O2 when i have the frying pan on. Interesting woush, when i lift one side of the frying pan off... The normal pans works like they should.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It seems to me if you are in a hurry then gas is popular.

I prefer to put the stove on while I'm setting up the camp, then it's ready when I'm finished.

I stopped using gas a long while ago because I got fed up of finding other peoples used gas canisters everywhere I went.

I've used all sorts of stove and I use a Frankinstein combination now.

My set up is a 10cm Zebra billy which has the bail removed and replaced with braided wire and it now carries a stainless steel hobo stove wrapped around it.

Inside is a titanium Triad solid fuel/meths combination with the windshield from a clikstand, a light chain for fire use and a cut down Trangia pot gripper.

The top bowl of the billy is drilled around the edge for use as a steamer, I tend to eat direct from the pot.

It's also got a folding cup, a pot scraper, some foil wrapped Esbit tablets and a film canister of matches in it. The skewers that form the pot rest for the hobo stove fit inside too.

All this fits into a small reindeer leather bag to keep it from fouling the rest of the gear in my bag.

I'm getting pretty close to my perfect cooking combination for backpacking with this set up but I'm always experimenting.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I don't like gas much, don't work in the cold very well, I prefer a Trangia and or the Trangia/Nova

DSCF1915Small.jpg

For that matter, I prefer any liquid fueled stoves to gas to be honest

Silly hobby for a grown man, but it keeps me off the streets at night :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
ady05 said:
i take it you like stoves then :D why not everyone needs a hobby
;)

Not as much as I used to, I've really cut back now, but there is another member here, from over the pond, who has a shed FULL, and I'm not talking a small shed :)

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
It's the trangia for me. I have both Army and civilian versions. If you're worried about the weight, try this:

DSCN0223.jpg

DSCN0216.jpg

DSCN0207.jpg

I tried it out this morning and it works a treat. The burner is a civilian one but the army just fits underneath the hexy stand (although it's slightly taller).

Pablo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE