trangia argument

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

what type of stove?

• gas

Votes: 105 21.9%
  • trangia

Votes: 375 78.1%

• Total voters

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Hmmm... seems that posters from Scotland/NI/Ireland particularly favour the Trangia - perhaps a reflection of the weather and mountains in these parts.

Not for nothing is the Trangia called a 'sturmkocher' - 'storm cooker'!

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I have used the Trangia in blizzard conditions, I could'nt see it, so I did'nt realise the rubber ring from the lid had stuck to the burner, but while I "dug-in" the "trang" did its job boiling water for a "life-saving" brew. They a simple and truly dependable.
Neil

MalIrl

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
West of Ireland
rapidboy said:
Is the kettle and pan duossal as well as the pots on the duossal versions ??
How do they compare in weight to the alu versions.

RB, the pan is duossal, but the kettle is the standard aluminium.

Slán,
Mal

W

Walkabout

Im a big fan of hexamine. It wont explode and if you spill it you can just pick it up! It does leave a horrible mess on pots, but you can pull up a clump of grass and scour it off with the roots. Its very light, the cooker is tiny and if you knock it over then just put the block back on with some sticks. It is tough to light but if you hold it and light one corner with a lighter then you are away. The best bit of all is that it throws out a lot of light and a little bit of heat so it makes up for a fire. :chill:

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Walkabout said:
Im a big fan of hexamine.

It was great to see you use it at Ashdown, very lightweight setup indeed :biggthump Ive got a few esbit cookers and tabs kicking around but they dont really get used that often.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
I like the trangia meths burner, because you can use it in both summer and winter. The burner is idiot proof so you can´t fail using one and the only thing that can get broken is a small rubber ring. People has been using these for many many years and all the people that has been in the army has been handling these in even the worst of conditions.
If you don´t want methe everywhere get a real fuel bottle and always let all the meths burn out or carry it in a small plastic bag.

People always say it takes too long time too cook with the meths burner, but hey who is in a rush?

Nightfall

Forager
Sep 2, 2004
Nothren Califorina
I like my trangia. I have the civilian module. The only complaint that I would have is the wind screen. I just picked up the army canteen cup holder that can be used with heat tabs. The trangia fits perfectly under it. Should work better.

neo_wales2000

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2004
wales uk
Without doubt, the Trangia is the most reliable stove made, can't fault it. Those who say say are slow to boil in an emergency, I would say left it too long to find shelter in the first place.

I Still use kero burning Primus stoves like the 96 and 210 some are over 80 years old and still work 100%, I wonder how many MSR's will still be working in 80 years?

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
it's quite a generous size for one person, i reckon it'd be more than adequate for two, if you can live with a menu out of only two pots.

cheers, and.

Feb 13, 2005
central scotland
Used a trangia in lots of places on boats in gales by the side of lochs
never had any problems water in fuel helps but not to much. hexamine blocks should be made illegal and an optimus blow up on me once when the solder melted and have trouble getting the right sizes of bottles for gas and dont like the waste "canisters".

Trangia make a realy good fuel bottle that dosn't drip and is easy to use. dont know about a lack of heat for frying things bacon and sausage rolls from trangias are how i got to this size .

:chill:

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
I once used my trangia on a scottish beach,with a stiff breeze coming of the sea and onto the vent thingy on the side of the stove . next to me was a guy using some type of petrol stove and bragging about how quickly it would boil.my trangy boiled first plus i still had my eyebrows and fringe.I am very attached to the pot gripper and use it over wood fires to well,grip pots.I should point out that re the trangy v petrol stove/bomb ,some strong drink had been taken.

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
when i was a kid and in scouts we used to use trangias all the time.

just recently bought a swedish army one for 8 quid, cant complain, its a good bit of kit - solid and reliable.

i have a single ring gas stove - but i dont really use it, its handy tho... prefer the trangia.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE