Traditional crafts and canapes at the house of Lords

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Last Wednesday saw the launch of the "Craft Blueprint" at the house of Lords.

Well they said the house of Lords actually we were in the marquee bottom left in this picture.

P1010058.jpg

This document sets out policy for developing skills in the crafts sector, including many of the sorts of crafts that we do. Along with other members of the Heritage Crafts Association I have had an input into the document in particular trying to ensure that traditional skills were valued, represented and that the issues and problems specific to traditional crafts were addressed. It's still all talk and no money but I am hopeful that this document will help eventually towards skills such as Sheffield's blade industry being more valued and passed on to future generations.

More info, a video shown at the launch and a link to download the document here.

http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/2009/06/london-town-on-foot.html

My MP Tom Levitt is also applying for an adjournment debate in the commons on the future of traditional crafts.

http://www.tomlevitt.org.uk/mp-to-take-up-case-of-disappearing-sieve-maker-30-may-2009

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Is this for the whole UK or just England?

Both the Heritage Crafts Association and CCSkills that were responsible for the Craft Blueprint have a UK wide remit. Scotland is already well ahead of England in recognising traditional skills as being of value with a good project by Napier University funded bu AHRB here. http://ichscotland.org/the-project/

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Robin,

I could email privately but I think it is needed to be said in a public forum.

Congratulations to you and the rest of the Committee for what you have achieved in such a short space of time.

Paul

Cheers Paul,

Much appreciated,

It has been said I am a bit like a terrier, when I pick something up I won't leave it off until we achieve what we set out to do. Since Christmas I have been on this probably 2 days a week unpaid but realistically for the sake of 40-50 days of my time and similar by the other committee members we have come a long way. We just heard there will be an adjournment debate in the House of Commons next Thursday about 6pm (latest though could start earlier) with my MP Tom Levitt proposing action to support heritage crafts and the culture minister Barbara Follett replying.

Apparently you can watch it live on the parliament channel - if you have
Sky or Freesat!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE