tracking boot design.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Hi all,

I've done a bit of searching on this thread about tracking boots but wondered if anyone had done a tutorial or posted some designs of how to make them.
There is probably something on the site but I cant find it. Anyone know or got any ideas. :)

cheers Moko

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
There great looking boots scott. Well done. I saw them earlier when I did my oridginal search but thanks anyway. Ive noted down the design and will hopefully get around to giving it a go at making a pair. At the moment I am part way through so many projects I guess it wont matter if I add just one more to my list!
I wonder,have you used them for tracking yet and what are they like in the rain.

Cheers, Moko

leon-1

I would suggest that moccasins would probably make the ideal tracking boot, but the problem that you would find with them is that they cannot be used on concrete or asphalt or any of the manmade surfaces unless you coat the soles.

It is something I have been thinking about for a while, how to make a set of woodland type moccasins that you wouldn't worry about in a built up situation, the only way that I have come up with yet is to coat the soles, the other option is to use something other than hide for the soles themselves.

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
just a thought but if you had mocs for in the bush and some sort of sanddels for in the more built up areas and for walking down the road if you pop out some distance from where you left the car. you could just put the sandles on over the mocs in town and put them back in your pack when you step into the bush.

dean

leon-1

Marts said:
Leon. Do you mean because they would wear out too quickly? or something else?

Sorry Marts I have been a little busy and hadn't picked up on this, a bit remiss sorry.

Yep you are correct, the soles on Woodland moccs are soft leather and would get shredded in a reasonably short space of time, the ones I have just finished have soles nearly 20mm thick and are constructed from four layers, they would be a bit more robust.

I have a plains moccasin pattern and will be working on them, but once I have them made I will see how they stand upto wear and tear, but it could be a while.

I also have a few ideas on another design (by me) that could well be a lot more robust that would stand upto plains, woods and town. We will see, it depends on the materials I use and what I can come up with.:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Many reckon that the earliest *British* shoe is what Scots call a courran. It's basically a flat piece of leather cut into finger shapes to cover the front of the foot and laced through holes near the tips.
I wear these frequently but Leon is right, on concrete, tarmac or paving slabs they're just not good :( So we line them with felted wool and an inner soft leather sole.They are surprisingly comfortable and if you raise the collar they make excellent little boots too :D The only sewing needed is to neaten up the heel, but if you use very fine leather then they can just be folded and laced through there too.
I can't find an on-line photo but Jim Smith makes and sells a heavier version of them (no gain, just someone whose work I can wholeheartedly recommend)

http://www.caledoniancreations.co.uk/Brogues/Scottish-Brogues.htm

Cheers,
Toddy

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
What about a sealskin sock, waterproof and thin? Never tried it but I had thought of using a pair and a pair of sandals around camp.

leon-1

Moff8 said:
What about a sealskin sock, waterproof and thin? Never tried it but I had thought of using a pair and a pair of sandals around camp.

Not a bad idea and in a lot of country's you will see people wearing sandles for tracking, but sandals tend to have quite a thick sole, they are heavy and don't allow you to feel through them in the same way as a pair off moccasins would.

Vibram have a new activity shoe coming out called five fingers, it is effectively a neoprene sock with a thin sole on it designed for people doing water sports, apart from the garish colours in a lot of ways these would be ideal.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Moff8 said:
The main problem with socks is if they're not fixed in position (usually by wearing a shoe over the top) they will move around, become uncomfortable and even slip off.
I have a pair of Sealskin socks for my moccs and I find if I wear a pair of thin cotton socks with these over the top and then my moccs I have warm dry feet in any conditions I go stalking in. However, if I'm wearing them in the house, before or after I go out, I can feel the sock gripping the floor well but my foot moves inside the sock negating the benefit ! This happens regardless of if I'm wearing the cotton socks or not.

Mark

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Hope to track down a pair of Danner "Jackal" stalking boots at this Friday's Game Fair:

danner.jpg

They can also be purchased from www.red-deer.co.uk

Cheers

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
leon-1 said:
Vibram have a new activity shoe coming out called five fingers, it is effectively a neoprene sock with a thin sole on it designed for people doing water sports, apart from the garish colours in a lot of ways these would be ideal.
They look interesting, and the black ones with the yellow lining wouldn't be too bad.
Just seen how much they cost....Maybe not.

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
The boot I wear most of the time is the Magnum Amazon desert boot. I find that they are comfortable, lightweight and not as military in appearance as some boots.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE