Toughest boots bar none?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
They are starting to crack on the upper part of the soles. The leather remains in good nick though.

I've not worn Caterpillars, any chance they can be resoled? It would be a pain to break in a new pair if the upper and bed of a pair of old dependables are still up to the job :D ~ and a shame too ;) . And if the last of the new boots isn't suitable for your feet you'll never really be comfortable in them :yikes: .

I walk in total about 1.5 to 2 hours per day over rough terrain with the dogs.

I reckon that could be considered good service ~ must fit like a slipper now though. If you can't get them a new sole is there no option for a direct replacement?

I'm currently using a second hand pair of Alt-Berg Peacekeepers ~ they'll get new soles as and when. I'm impressed enough that I've even got a change jar going to buy a second (new) pair :D (Alt-Bergs, not necessarily Peacekeepers).

stonepark

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
I use cat grousers and similarly get 18 months before i wear out the sole or the uppers crack, could only get then in the now liquidated barretts but have an extra pair sitting ready but, no idea what will do afterwards and will similary have to go boot hunting in future.

sent from my android

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
The name has slipped my mind but there Australian leather boots and are the slip on type with the elastic sides if anyone knows the ones I mean!

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Blundstone .

I've worn blundstones since 2002, when I only could get them in farmers supply stores. I bought my current pair in 2011, and they are starting to look really worn. I have not worn these everyday, but I too am a dog owner so they see quite a bit of use. My first pair held up a lot better. Quality has gone down and price up. I've actually worn blunnies in the norweigan mountains for a four day hike. They worked unexpectedly well for that trip.

VanDeRooster

Jan 14, 2014
Norwich, UK.
Good stuff. :) Could you let us know what they say please?

That info has stopped me buying a new pair of Actives.

Just spoken to the UK distributor of Scarpa and they confirmed you've been given incorrect advice ...

We recommend LSR and Feet First For walking boot repairs.

Sent from my  iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Just spoken to the UK distributor of Scarpa and they confirmed you've been given incorrect advice ...

We recommend LSR and Feet First For walking boot repairs.

Sent from my  iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Many thanks for that mate. :)

In my crystal ball, I see a new pair of Actives showing up.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I've had my Danners since 1999 and worn them almost every weekend (to the woods ) since, my mate has a pair of Matterhorns that he bought second hand around the same time and they are also going strong.
My wife got me a new pair of Danners for christmas (Raptor GTX in Brown leather and cordura) and they are stunning, cant bring myself to wear them up the woods!

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I walk my dogs in wellies, but I can't walk more than 1/4 mile in cheap ones. I am happy to do 4 miles or so in Grubb Stalkers. Hills I use Meindl and woods I use Lundhags now.

I gave up on cheap footwear years ago, I've had far too many issues with cheap shoes.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I was sitting cleaning and waxing these badboys this morning and tried to remember how old they were ,I am quite sure they were bought 93! the soles and leather uppers are still great ,To be fair I have had loads of other boots as well to alternate them but by the look of them they still have another twenty odd years left in them, This is my second pair of these the others I must have bought mid eighties and literally never had them off ,The sole worn down to nothing but the leathers were great I gave them to a mate who worked in a cobblers and never saw them again?

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Original scarpa manta! My pair dyed black are still going strong; soles are showing wear but still enough! You'll get a few more years yet, yours look in great nick!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

wilekayote

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2005
sydney
Used to think Meindls but no longer. One sole peeled off while I was on top of mountain and I had to poke holes in the boot and sew it back together with cord.

Contacted Meindl in Australia where I live and they flicked me to New Zealand. New Zealand said it wasn't their problem as I bought them in Scotland. Tisos in Scotland flicked me back to Australia. Contacted Meindl directly via their website and no response what so ever.

Very disappointing given how much they cost. To me is seems like a fault as the other boot shows no sign of the problem.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
As a dog handler(now retired)I've put in a lot of miles while walking & deploying dogs in a variety of conditions & terrain, & I've tried a number of different boots. German para boots, good tough, polish up well, the laces last for ever, but they are heavy. Matterhorns, light comfy waterproof, polish up very well but difficult to get re-soled. Altbergs field & fell with standard sole, hard wearing comfy supportive & easy to get repaired.
A sole on the altbergs would last me 12 months, my original pair were re-soled 3 times before the uppers went, then they repaired those as well.

New kid on the block is YDS. They withdrew our footwear allowance, & started to issue us with this make of boot(the thor model) at first I didn't like them, but credit where its due, I've been off dogs now 13 months & have worn the yds boots just for dog walking, I've not polished them(difficult not to after all this time)or treated them in anyway & they have still kept going, not leaked, & still on the original laces, though the soles are now getting a bit slippy. Do I now like them ?, well no I don't, probably as I find the toe box slightly narrow, but they are worth a look.

Rob

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Just an off the wall comment. I visited the section today, the first time in 13 months, it was the area passive drug dog trials, & I now find they are being issued with altberg field & fells.

Rob

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I bought some of these on a whim a while back...

http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=2003

They're ugly with a capital "OMF GOD THEY'RE" prefix and they take an age to break in as they're likely 30 to 40 years old and such niceties as Goretex et al weren't considered in those days. With thick socks and some work, perhaps a little neatsfoot oil and some dubbin, they're comfortable enough, the sole is still very stiff on mine though so not to everyones' taste. Doubt I'll be wearing mine out any time soon and the best bit is they're only a tenner.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I bought some of these on a whim a while back...

http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=2003

They're ugly with a capital "OMF GOD THEY'RE" prefix and they take an age to break in as they're likely 30 to 40 years old and such niceties as Goretex et al weren't considered in those days. With thick socks and some work, perhaps a little neatsfoot oil and some dubbin, they're comfortable enough, the sole is still very stiff on mine though so not to everyones' taste. Doubt I'll be wearing mine out any time soon and the best bit is they're only a tenner.

Yep, they sure are ugly !, think I'd sooner polish my feet & lace up my toes. Joking aside, a tenner ? can't realy go wrong, just be careful of the fashion/bushcraft police...

Rob

H2497

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2008
London / Herefordshire
I think the zamberlan tofane are some of the toughest I have seen. I don't rate danners. I have a set of brown danner stalkers and they are pretty sloppy, no rigidity to the sole.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE