Toughest boots bar none?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'd encourage you to take a look at the Scarpa SL Active boot.
Read some reviews online and if you like the sound of them, try some on - if you've got a local Cotswolds they stock them.
They're heavy and expensive but very tough.
If you can find the older model, the SL M3, they were even tougher I think...

I've got a pair. Quite impressed with them

Orric

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
I have some Dickies work boots to take the dog in theyve lasted about a year up to now, and only cost me £15 off the interweb

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The very toughest boots are Sicilian. No-one has ever needed a second pair

concrete-boots.jpg

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Most dog walkers put more miles in a year than hikers ever do.

When Skadi was fitter I used to put in two miles per walk, twice a day on the fells.

Add it up, that's nearly 1500 miles a year.

yes and a good many dog walkers only pay attention to their footwear if they think about taking up 'hiking'

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
>>> I appear to be extremely hard on footwear, >>><<< start coming apart after 18 months.

A couple of potentially daft questions ... What do you actually mean by coming apart? The stitching, soles, eyelets, the leather cracking, or a combination? And what do you do to keep them in good condition?

If you're very active and living in them 18 months could be seen as good service ;) . In the past I've had boots fall apart after 6 months of hard use. Not because they were cheap / low quality or because I didn't try to look after them ~ they just got used so often and for so long, that they couldn't dry properly and the leather gave out :( . I learned to have more than one pair of good* (and comfortable!) boots and to rotate them :eek: .

* Where 'good' equals a good fit rather than a good name or higher price ;)

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
A couple of potentially daft questions ... What do you actually mean by coming apart? The stitching, soles, eyelets, the leather cracking, or a combination? And what do you do to keep them in good condition?

If you're very active and living in them 18 months could be seen as good service ;) . In the past I've had boots fall apart after 6 months of hard use. Not because they were cheap / low quality or because I didn't try to look after them ~ they just got used so often and for so long, that they couldn't dry properly and the leather gave out :( . I learned to have more than one pair of good* (and comfortable!) boots and to rotate them :eek: .

* Where 'good' equals a good fit rather than a good name or higher price ;)

The boots in question (Caterpillars) get regularly cleaned and waxed with granger g-wax. I have been alternating them with wellies, which I was in most of this winter because of the constant rain we had. They are starting to crack on the upper part of the soles. The leather remains in good nick though.

I walk in total about 1.5 to 2 hours per day over rough terrain with the dogs. So as someone suggested, a pair of trainers wont cut it.

The only reason for me starting this thread was to see what people would recommend and whether there was a definative pair of boots that could outlast the rest.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'll add another recommendation for Scarpa SL's. I have the older style, in the wide fit bought 10 years ago. Still going strong and more waterproof than when I first bought them. I must have done over 2000 miles in them in mountain terrain. The sole is 3/4 worn down but can be replaced.

If I was buying again, for a bomber pair of boots that are good to walk long distances in, it would be the Scarpa SL's or Altbergs.

I regularly rinse the boots inside and out with clean water to fetch the salt and chemicals out of the leather. Every 2 or 3 rinses, they get treated with leather conditioner.

The new SL's have won best in tests in the mags for performance in 3/4 season boots. I'm told though, that the new sole unit can't be replaced.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The "new" SL can be resoled, we use Lancashire Sports Repairs at work.

Sent from my &#63743; iPad Mini RD

That's great news. Your resoling the new Actives?
I was told by a retailer a couple of weeks ago they had changed the upper sole to PU, so the glue wouldn't stick for long.

VanDeRooster

Jan 14, 2014
Norwich, UK.
I'll ring Scarpa tomorrow and double check. I was chatting to them a few moths ago and it wasn't mentioned. To make a boot that can't be resoled would be very odd.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'll ring Scarpa tomorrow and double check. I was chatting to them a few moths ago and it wasn't mentioned. To make a boot that can't be resoled would be very odd.

Good stuff. :) Could you let us know what they say please?

That info has stopped me buying a new pair of Actives.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE