Total noob

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

connieboy

Jun 19, 2016
Cambs
Hi all
So I've become interested in wild camping in the last month or so after coming across a few you tube vids , reading up on google and finally ending up on this very informative Forum, I am a complete noob and have no equipment at all.
I want to experiment in the garden before I do anything so was wondering what I should buy first?
I have an old concrete pole and a big tree about 5m apart so was thinking about a Tarp but not too sure if I should go for a hammock or just try a Bivi bag first?
Don't really know anybody that wild camps so I don't want to spend loads of money only to lose my nerve about going out solo.
any advice would be great.
Thanks

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
Personally, I thing tarp and bivi is a great experience, I'm just getting started with a hammock setup but have to say so far the ground setup has a nice sense of freedom. My move to a hammock opens up more options for places to set up. Tarp and bivi will be a cheaper place to start too.

connieboy

Jun 19, 2016
Cambs
Thanks Willcurrie
I was thinking it would be the cheaper/easier way to have a go at wild camping, and if I get really into it, the hammock would be the next step

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
If you are just experimenting in the back garden then maybe just a cheap builders tarp which wont go to waste at a later date if you decide to carry on and up-grade and in the same vain maybe a Czech Army Bedroll.....And don't worry about being out alone in the dark, they'll wait till you're asleep so you wont even know anything about it.

D.B.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
You can get a cheap hammock for about 12 quid on Amazon that'll do fine :) get out there and try it out! Get yourself to some meets or do a couple of solo overnighter when you feel confident enough. A good cooking pot is also a must. Won't be long and you'll be out as often as possible!

connieboy

Jun 19, 2016
Cambs
If you are just experimenting in the back garden then maybe just a cheap builders tarp which wont go to waste at a later date if you decide to carry on and up-grade and in the same vain maybe a Czech Army Bedroll.....And don't worry about being out alone in the dark, they'll wait till you're asleep so you wont even know anything about it.

D.B.

thanks for that :lmao:

connieboy

Jun 19, 2016
Cambs
You can get a cheap hammock for about 12 quid on Amazon that'll do fine :) get out there and try it out! Get yourself to some meets or do a couple of solo overnighter when you feel confident enough. A good cooking pot is also a must. Won't be long and you'll be out as often as possible!
I'm going to maybe post to see if there is anyone local to me into wildcamping

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
thanks for that :lmao:

That was pretty funny :D

I'd go hammock. A friend went off his bivi bag after waking in the night with slugs on his face and beetles in his bag. I've got an Alpkit Hunka XL that I haven't even used yet as the hammock is favourite. Providing there are trees of course.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I'm not a great lover of hammocks. They are a season cooler than sleeping on the ground. In the right location they are great but not for me.

Your sleep system will make or break many adventures so don't skimp on gear buy the very best you can afford and treat it with respect and it will last you many years. The minimum you will need is something to keep you dry. A tarp, tent or bivvy. Something to sleep on. Hammock plus thermarest. The ground plus thermarest or a closed cell mat. You could go down the camp cot route. The swag bag. You may decide to go retro and only use materials available in the 1800s.

Sleeping bags are hugely important. I strongly believe the only choice is down but there are many happy users of synthetic bags on here

remember 80% you read on the net is questionable and the other 20% is just opinion. Do what works for you with the funds available and get out and enjoy sleeping outdoors.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
I would perhaps start out by spending some time in the wild. Partly to get to know the terrain and partly to get to know yourself (if still interested after a day out in foul weather, this could be something you enjoy in the long run)

Start out focusing on function. Disregard brand names. If you need an axe - it doesn't have to be a Gransfors - it is a great axe, but most axes will do the job.

Much on the Internet revolves about kit. It might be easy get the impression that the kit list must be long and containing all high end gear. But luckily, that is not the case.

Get out. Try doing stuff. Learn. Enjoy.

Greger

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
I've had a many a comfortable night's sleep in a bivvi bag with or without a basha/tarp over me. The best value option is to get an ex army bivvi bag, and if you haven't got a sleeping bag get the issue one. You can get both used for around £50 online. It's big and bulky but very warm and extremely well made. I've never had problems with insects getting into the bag although I do also have the old Survival Aids goretex bivvi bag that you could fully close to seal out everything. If you get claustrophobic this may not be for you though. Get a self inflating sleep mat off ebay to provided a level of comfort and insulation, if you cant afford one of these just got with a simple closed cell foam roll up mat.

I've also spent a few nights in a hammock. This was the issue hammock and took some getting used to. I'm looking to get one of the enclosed hammocks and a large tarp (3x3m) just as soon as funds allow.

connieboy

Jun 19, 2016
Cambs
Thanks guys
I can't afford to spend a lot so I will keep it simple to start with, the British army gortex Bivi bags seem to get the thumbs up, I wouldn't mind one with an insect net to cover my face, but I'm guessing I need to look at a different brand of bivi bag for that? and that option maybe too expensive
I have an old sleeping bag I could use for now and I was looking at a self inflating mat...

Last edited:
maybe one of those pyramid-shaped mozzie nets over a bivi bag if you cannot find a bivi bag with in-built net?!

be careful with cheap self-inflating mattresses: i once made the mistake of buying one (== low on cash and lack of options): shortly after purchase it started to loose air overnight.... my search for the leak was unsuccessful until i submerged it into a cattle trough--- reason for the leak:" made in china"" .read: the air leaked out all the way around along the seam of upper and lower layer of fabric....

Last edited:

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
You'll have to decide for yourself what to get and what you prefer. Some people swear by hammocks for example, and look down on all our filthy grounddwellers (or the other way around). Other people can't stand to hang while sleeping. Some people love a tarp and bivy, others find it's cramped and doesn't provide enough protection.

You say you don't want to spend a lot of money, but that also depends on what you find a lot of money. Just too personal to give good advice imo.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Dont get a hammock if you havent got a spine like a banana

I dont like bugs in with me. people invented tents to keep the Outside outside, -where it belongs.

An idea should be a beach shelter with a door

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIDL-ANGLING-CARP-FISHING-TENT-BEACH-SHELTER-BIVVY-245cmx107cmx120cm-GREEN-/182186011647?hash=item2a6b21ebff:g:TpYAAOSwzJ5XcQ0g

I have slept in one, no good in high winds and as only one layer, gets condensation in it. otherwise very handy.

I gave mine a coat of fabsil (essential if you look after your tents) guys and pegs.

they are very lightweight

I have little gucci kit; besides what I traded for and found at car boots. To tell the truth I need very little of it.

connieboy

Jun 19, 2016
Cambs
You'll have to decide for yourself what to get and what you prefer. Some people swear by hammocks for example, and look down on all our filthy grounddwellers (or the other way around). Other people can't stand to hang while sleeping. Some people love a tarp and bivy, others find it's cramped and doesn't provide enough protection.

You say you don't want to spend a lot of money, but that also depends on what you find a lot of money. Just too personal to give good advice imo.

I dont really want to spend more than £50/60 just to get me outside in the garden to test the water , so to speak.....not worried about stoves other equipment etc yet , just getting out under canvas to try it

Aug 27, 2016
North Wales, UK
I'm new to this stuff myself, I picked up a polish army surplus Lavvu to start out with. It's not light but if your camping in the garden to start with that won't be an issue and at £20 -£25 I think they're a bargain when starting out, and they seem reasonably water resistant out the box. Though if its been issued this may not be the case.

Regards

Actaeon

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
I'd second what Actaeon says. The old Polish army tent goes up in 5 minutes (if you keep the two component ponchos buttoned together, takes a while longer otherwise), and is, as far as I'm concerned, worth the 3.7kg pack weight. It's strong, very serviceable and just about everything-proof. Also inconspicuous if you're stealth camping.

In similar vein, the old diamond-shaped Norwegian Army 'Knappetelt' can be worn as a poncho when walking, then pitched with two sides staked down and the other end tied to a tree or stick or pole. Not as cosy or roomy as the Polish job in winter but room enough for you and your rucksack to stay out of the weather in, and I've spent a comfortable night under one in temperatures as low as -5c. Alternatively, you can button up this ingenious article another way so it becomes a bivvy bag. Comes in a choice of 2 attractive camouflage patters, and plain khaki.

But then, I'm a fan of Cold War army surplus kit.

All the best,

Nick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE