Torch help!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 27, 2008
Bedfordshire
Hey,

I’m in the market for a new torch and would like your advice.

I currently have an Inova X5 and an Ultrafire 9P (eBay copy of surfire). Both are good torches but I’m not keen on the 3v batteries, they are a tad pricey and the 9P eats them!

I would like something that takes AA batteries and my budget is around £25 ish.

What would you suggest?

Mike.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
It is powered by 2 x D batteries which are included.

Annodized aluminum body. 3w CREE LED. Operated by 2 x C batteries, Tesco alkaline batteries included. Push on / off switch

They can't seem to make their mind up. Either way, it would be a bit chunky IMO. Good price for a 3W cree though.

leon-1

Fenix, Inova bolt AA or Inova X1. They are all good manufacturers that produce decent AA LED torches at reasonable price.

If you know where to look you can find an Inova Bolt 2AA for under £20 delivered. Which for a 3.8watt torch ain't bad.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Depends if you want a light tio find something in your kit or something to sear eyeballs from a thousand paces! I found the old CMG Infinity more than enough for use around the camp. I have a head torch, but am loathe to use it in case I forget it is on and flash someone in the face with it, the height of rudeness outdoors!

petzel Tikka ideal for most tasks fits in a pocket and easy to hold and its a head torch as well :D not going to light the world tho but thats not what you need most of the time
3 brightness settings and Flash AAA batteries the extra clip in red filters are fairly rubbish but do take the edge of the light

the Petzel e Lite is a nice bit of kit to the head strap isnt so bulky and it clips on etc but the Odd battery is a bit of a off put

I also take my Heiser Diving back up torch but never really use it its far to bright and it a bit Bulky and heavy using 3x C cells tho being waterproof to over 100m is handy in this rainy season :lmao: wouldnt get one unless your a diver at £120 they aint cheap

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Spamel the fenix P£D has tfour different light intensities starting at 12 lumens ,which isn't as bright as an AA maglite and goes upto 215 lumens which will sear your eyeballs.The main thing for me on the P3D is that you can set it to flash SOS in morse at 215 lumens at the flick of a switch and if I need SOS then 215 lumens suits me just fine. When I bought mine it came with a free diffuser that fits over the end and this is brilliant around camp as you can just hang it up (with the supplied lanyard ) and carry on with both hands free.I do have 2 concerns with this torch:-

1 it gets to hot to handle if you use it at full power for more than 15 minutes

2there isn't much difference between 120 lumens and 215 lumens that I could see,maybe its because I'm so close to the source and the brightness is too much for my pupils to cope with and theyv'e reached maximum contraction.
Even with these concerns I would still buy another if this one was lost.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hey,

I’m in the market for a new torch and would like your advice.

I currently have an Inova X5 and an Ultrafire 9P (eBay copy of surfire). Both are good torches but I’m not keen on the 3v batteries, they are a tad pricey and the 9P eats them!

I would like something that takes AA batteries and my budget is around £25 ish.

What would you suggest?

Mike.

3xAAA, 2 for £3 delivered for TWO including shipping
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1255

10 of these for the same price, ideal to clip on kit
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1253

There you go, 12 torches for about £6, your £19 in pocket :)

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
They can't seem to make their mind up. Either way, it would be a bit chunky IMO. Good price for a 3W cree though.

I wandered into Tesco the other day and found they do three sizes with the Cree.

AA 3w £10
D cell 3w £12
C cell 4w £18

Couldn't resist! As I have a small Surefire G2 and an AA Maglite and a C cell Maglite, I went for the £12 D cell one. Amazing value for money. Well built and quite an impressive beam too.

For a small torch, can't see anyone going wrong with the AA model.

Gareth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE