Top 100 Bushcraft Acronyms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
6.AFAIK - as far as I know
7. IIRC - if I remember correctly
8. PITA - pain in the a$$
9. TEOTWAWKI - the end of the world as we know it
10. HWMBLT - he who must be listened to

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
1.SAK - Swiss Army Knife
2.EDC - Every Day Carry
3.BOB - Bug out bag
4.FAK - First aid kit
5.SWMBO -She who must be obeyed
6.AFAIK - as far as I know
7. IIRC - if I remember correctly
8. PITA - pain in the a$$
9. TEOTWAWKI - the end of the world as we know it
10. HWMBLT - he who must be listened to
11. imho - IN MY HUMBLE(HONEST) OPINION
12. Atb - All The Best
13. IMO - in my opinion
14. *** - that didnt work/go as planned
15. OP - original poster
16. PM - Private message

E

ex member coconino

The "what's new" button completely out-flanks the topic listings, so perhaps users don't see the various stickies of basic info and FAQs. There's a lot of duplication on this board, much more so than I'm used to on some other boards, which maybe indicates there's something people aren't seeing which they should be more aware of.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The "what's new" button completely out-flanks the topic listings, so perhaps users don't see the various stickies of basic info and FAQs. There's a lot of duplication on this board, much more so than I'm used to on some other boards, which maybe indicates there's something people aren't seeing which they should be more aware of.

I'd agree with that - some things can be hard to find.

E

ex member coconino

As evidence, I offer the "does anyone have the DD tarp?" question in this thread! :lmao:

There may not be a sticky about DD tarps but IIRC there's one about searching the forum before posting a question which has likely been asked a gazillion times already.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

ex member coconino

I searched for Acronyms - the correct term for a T.L.A.'s? How on earth am I 'sposed to know some dingbat called them abbreviations?

Because they're mostly abbreviations, not acronyms. An acronym is an abbreviation which is pronounced as a single word, such as laser, Nato, Nasa, etc. What you listed in your OP are abbreviations. :)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Because they're mostly abbreviations, not acronyms. An acronym is an abbreviation which is pronounced as a single word, such as laser, Nato, Nasa, etc. What you listed in your OP are abbreviations. :)

Hmmm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbreviation

abbreviation (from Latin brevis, meaning short) is a shortened form of a word or phrase. Usually, but not always, it consists of a letter or group of letters taken from the word or phrase. For example, the word abbreviation can itself be represented by the abbreviation abbr., abbrv. or abbrev.

In strict analysis, abbreviations should not be confused with contractions or acronyms (including initialisms), with which they share some semantic and phonetic functions, though all three are connoted by the term "abbreviation" in loose parlance.[1]:p167An abbreviation is a shortening by any method; a contraction is a reduction of size by the drawing together of the parts. A contraction of a word is made by omitting certain letters or syllables and bringing together the first and last letters or elements; an abbreviation may be made either by omitting certain portions from the interior or by cutting off a part; a contraction is an abbreviation, but an abbreviation is not necessarily a contraction. However, normally acronyms are regarded as a subgroup of abbreviations (e.g. by the Council of Science Editors).

Clear as mud?

E

ex member coconino

Hmmm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbreviation

abbreviation (from Latin brevis, meaning short) is a shortened form of a word or phrase. Usually, but not always, it consists of a letter or group of letters taken from the word or phrase. For example, the word abbreviation can itself be represented by the abbreviation abbr., abbrv. or abbrev.

In strict analysis, abbreviations should not be confused with contractions or acronyms (including initialisms), with which they share some semantic and phonetic functions, though all three are connoted by the term "abbreviation" in loose parlance.[1]:p167An abbreviation is a shortening by any method; a contraction is a reduction of size by the drawing together of the parts. A contraction of a word is made by omitting certain letters or syllables and bringing together the first and last letters or elements; an abbreviation may be made either by omitting certain portions from the interior or by cutting off a part; a contraction is an abbreviation, but an abbreviation is not necessarily a contraction. However, normally acronyms are regarded as a subgroup of abbreviations (e.g. by the Council of Science Editors).

Clear as mud?

Perfectly clear, and certainly reinforces why your search term "acronyms" shouldn't find "abbreviations". :p Having been a typesetter for many years, I have several editions of Hart's Rules to back me up! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE