Tools of a huntsman..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gb

Forager
Nov 4, 2003
Cornwall
i only hunt with an air rifle, so its usually just pellets, penknife (for gutting) and some plastic bags to put the rabbits/pigeons in when i get back to the car.
cheers gb

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I carry a small/med pack with the following items: a heavy duty mylar blanket, small rain tarp, 50' nylon rope, a game drag, a SS messkit with cup/utensiles/kettle, game shears, 2-diamond laps (med/coarse), folding Gerber saw, GB hunting ax, extra wool socks/gloves/tuque, 2-large garbage bags, 2-plastic bread bags, spare knife/compass/firesteel, extra ammunition, first aid kit, 2-35mm cans strike anywhere wood matches, snare wire, water purifier, SAK, whistle, 2-tinder kits, soap, disposable towels, TP, flashlight, (extra batt), candle lantern, field dressing kit,
extra tobacco,
Rations: 2-sandwiches, salty peanuts/almond and raisins, thermos of tea, soup mix, jerky,
"E" rations: 3-cans of sardine in olive oil, hard cheese, 6-chocolate bars,
6-hard tack or corn dodgers, doz. tea bags, sugar/salt/pepper packets, tobasco sauce
In/on my hunting vest/coat/pants: compass, belt knife, mini-binoculars,
fire steel, paper/wood matches in a tin, GORP, tobacco/pipe, a large garbage bag, ammunition. Rifle of course on a sling. It might seem a lot but it is still small/light and easily carried, where I go I may not see anybody for days/weeks so I can rely only on myself if I spend the night. If you are prepared, spending the night is not bad it is good lets you think :-D
just a thought

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Not quite as intensive as our Canadian friend. I stalk in Scotland - both on open mixed ground - moorland, livestock grazing & commercial forestry mix and 'on the hill' proper.

In the UK, stalking ( hunting ) trips tend to be from a fixed base - house or hotel - and you are just out for the day.

In addition, our deer species are much smaller than elsewhere - Moose/ elk etc. We feel very hard done to if we have a 15 stone stag to drag. Hence we do not butcher on the spot as they may well do in remote parts of the US/ Canada etc.

For forestry stalking, typical kit is -

Rifle, scope, bipod and sling ( Tikka 6.5x55, Schimdt Bender 6x42 )
Binoculars ( Eschenbach 7x42 )
Spare Ammo in Uncle Mike wallet ( 10 rnds plus 4 in mag )
Soft rubber wellies
Wool mix stockings
Plus 2's ( wool )
Ulfrotte Wool top or silk shirt
SASS DPM Smock or Keela Ventile
In hot weather that drops to light trousers and a green T shirt plus Real Tree net suit
Two knives - Gerber Bolt action folder, Various other fixed blade
Bahco Laplander saw.
Drag rope
Sterile hand wash - Surgical gel from SP Services
Field First Aid kit
Radio/ Mobile ( ringer off! )
Strobe
Marker panel/ Survival blanket
Bush Hat & face net/ mask
Piece ( lunch )
GPS - depends where going
Map/ Compass
Water in 1 pt pilot flask - SASS
Survival kit ( mini )
Kit and Caboodle flex bore cable.
Insect repellant

All goes in pockets.

Hill

Wool Plus 2s and silk/ Ulffrotte as above.
Wellies replaced by gaiters and Cabelas boots
May up rifle to Browning 30-06 - identical scope.
All else as above, but include goretex oversuit
Second ammo wallet ( if culling hinds )
Longer drag rope/ 2nd rope
Fleece
Goretex bivi bag
All carried in a Berghaus Munro
Stick
Deerstalker hat - and yes I do tie the flaps down! And no there arent any pictures!
Extra chocolate bars - what ever guide/ stalker likes. These are then used to distract him/ her if they are hell bent on walking the legs off you! Failing which, use spare ammo to knee-cap them :-D

Sounds a bit paltry compared to Canadian friend. Though hope provides a useful contrast. What about other UK 'hunters'?

Oakleaf

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
We try to go as often as we can in the fall. In a year's time I will be retired and will be going out at least every weekend plus a good deal of the fall season. Small game: rabbits, partridge, squirrels. Large game moose, deer and I act as back up for bear. Not much into water fowl yet but in the next year we will be starting. Hunting is not just going out and shooting something, it is being and observing nature, appreciating what the Creator has given to us. Killing for no good reason to me is a sin of wasting a bounty, I hunt and kill but I use what I collect, give thanks to the Creator for his gifts and the animal that sets his life down for me and my family. Not mystical but gratefull.
just a thought

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Oakleaf, I like to hear what others carry in their situations, to me Scotland seems exotic and intriguing. My son wants to travel to Scotland and be out and about, might even stay and work for a bit, would give me reason to go :-D The bushcrafter forum is a well of information from a different view point and I appreciate your sharings, Nyah Wen!! (thank you)
just a thought

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I recently acquired an old british african rifle in .275 ( 7 mauser) with a 26" barrel and leaf sights. It only likes the heavy 174 gr bullets. My hunting is for deer near the California Condor recovery program and countless marijuana farms, so the Barnes solid bronze bullets eliminate lead ingestion danger for the birds and are deadly on drug dealer's 4WD engine blocks. I carry; Fallkniven F1, survival kit, Pilot's survival flask,fruit cake, chocolate and jerky, map and compass, small first aid supplies. I like to travel light, which is a real neccessity in this terrain anyway. I give myself plenty of return time before nightfall, which is used up looking at pretty flowers while some motionless deer stares at me not 20' away :oops: . Hey, they don't shoot at me, I don't shoot at them. the lousy drug dealers poach more deer to protect their illegal crop anyway :-x

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Carcajou Garou said:
Hunting is not just going out and shooting something, it is being and observing nature, appreciating what the Creator has given to us. Killing for no good reason to me is a sin of wasting a bounty, I hunt and kill but I use what I collect, give thanks to the Creator for his gifts and the animal that sets his life down for me and my family. Not mystical but gratefull.
just a thought

here here

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Carcajou

Noted both your subsequent posts.

Agree whole heartedly with the first.

To me, stalking best fits my outlook on life. I am much taken with the Lakota Souix saying - Mitakuye Oyasin - All our relations.

I stalk to satisfy various needs within me - being out and very in tune with surroundings. Mental/ physical challenge of mastering the rifle. Observing the woods/ moor close up and with time to ponder. Despatching my quarry in the most practical and humane manner I can achieve. Treating the carcase with respect and making good use of it - feeding myself or froends or going to feed others who choose not to stalk. The gralloch going back to the soil and to support foxes, eagles, buzzards, insects etc.

It is not deer killing. I go out to stalk not kill. I kill to have stalked. Does that make any sense?

In areas where things work, the deer groups and land owners work together to try to maintain a stable and healthy population. In parts of the UK it is arguable if this is being achieved and there have been some disgraceful episodes of deer killing. But all the stalkers with whom I talk have the same basic interest - a fascination with deer ( and usually all wildlife and nature ) and their well being.

If I take a novice out to stalk, aside from safety I am watching for that X factor - call it respect for life, call it humility - I dont really have the vocabulary. But if it is not there, they will not be allowed to take the shot.

Onto your second post - if either you or your son do come to Scotland, you must consider me mortally offended if you do not get in touch. May even be able to arrange some stalking for you. Shooting or no, please do look me up.

I am English by birth, but Scottish by heart. You'll either understand that sentiment or not. The proper Scotland is a land of incredible beauty and bounty. Those that properly belong, that are of the place not in it, are some of the most open, friendly and kind people you could hope to meet. Strangely, we look on places like Canada with the same fascination and interest you appear to show this way!

Obviously, people who have only done Parkhead on a Saturday may not entirely agree :-D .

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Oakleaf;
It is not deer killing. I go out to stalk not kill. I kill to have stalked. Does that make any sense?

Extremly well said and understood :cool:
As far as Scotland well that is an intriguing possibility in the future.

Young Bushman, keep seeking and asking and experiencing nature, your kit will by experience, form itself to the needs of the surroundings, I would be marginaly prepared to "stalk" in the British Isle until I actualy was there and guided through at first, different area different needs.
just a thought

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Firstly - just thought that maybe I was straying off thread topic - so my apologies to Young Bushman and Mr Moderator if I have.

Must admit that the phrase regards stalking was poached ( no pun intended ) from the gist of a phrase from the works of Ortega Y Gasset. Fairly widely published philosopher. Been after a copy of his work - Meditations on Hunting for a while ( that count as kit? :-D ) but waiting for cheap paperback rather than £70 plus for hard back!

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Great thread :)

I don't shoot/hunt though I think I understand what you are both saying about the stalk. I dabble a little bit in nature photography, I think for the same reasons, although I doubt I've got the fieldcraft yet to really pull it off. or perhaps to be more exact my fieldcraft sometimes gets me in the position to take good photos but the camera is either at home or in it's pouch and any movement would spoil the moment. I guess I don't have the mastery of both together to make it all happen.

Got lots of photos of red/brown things in the distance which are foxes or deer, honest....

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Young Bushman, What do you carry in your kit and how do you carry it?
Oakleaf, How much is a "stone" in lbs?
I notice that many people mention fleece, is this the wool of sheep or the synthetic polar type of fleece?
I envy your access to extremly good woolens products, do most people use woolen clothing as their main outdoor wear? other than slickers?
just a thought

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I agree entirely, I find I don't always need to fire a shot to have a good day. It's the appreciation of nature, a paradox of what some people think you're doing. To go shooting you have to spend long periods of time outside, the more time you spend with nature, the more you appreciate it.

In terms of what kit I carry? I tend to carry the minimum. Because I can get my Landy to anywhere I shoot a deer I don't need to carry much.

Rifle (Sako 75, .308, Swasoski (sp) 2.5-10 x 50, moderator)
I'm just experimenting with a gun sock to cut the glare of the gun metal
Spare ammo
Shooting sticks
Bipod
3 knives (Alan Wood Woodlore, Stainless skninner, back up folder)
Disposable gloves (The blue kind because they're stonger, 2 pairs)
Scrim scarf as face netting
Insulation tape to cover the muzzle
Gloves (even in hot weather to stop the glare)
Various calls depending on season
Paracord
Folding saw ( both to use for dressing the carcass)
Phone
FAK

All are carried in pockets of my Army jacket made water repllent using Nikwax ( I don't stalk when it's teaming down). I tried using a Roesac, but found I have to unsling it to shoot which is noisy, time consuming, involves movement just when you don't want any and produces an unstable shooting position.
As I say, I don't need to carry the beast out because I can get a vehicle near enough without a problem.

The list changes if I'm Pheasant/ pigeon/ goose shooting but that's the deer kit

I think that's everything but probanly not...

Cheers

Mark

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Various things to respond to -

Weight - strictly 14lbs to a stone, though if its for my medical can we call it 10lb? :-D

Wool - I love wool gear; for stalking it is often the quietest ( fleece pretty good too ). Quality gear lasts and last - very tough/ hard wearing. Most importantly it stays warm when wet.

Particularly on the hill, I frequently end up crawling through burns ( streams ) or ponds. Or even just across saturated peat. Wool stays warm.
Will try to see if I can get a scan of a picture from last stalk at Sannox Estate on Arran. It shows us presenting the head stalker with a toy snorkel after a week of spectacularly soggy stalking!

Cabelas seem to do some wool kit - I was quite taken with two wool huntig jackets they listed - think one was by Columbia? Anyone had any experience with these?

Swanndri also pretty good - just I find it very itchy. In addition, their standard green is just the wrong shade to blend well.

Also really like the Ulfrotte gear. ( see Ray Mears )

By Fleece I do mean the polartec type stuff. It is quiet too and the new gear combined with a wind/ waterproof layer is very useful. However, if normal fleece gets wet it tends to feel cold and wet.

Combining the wool kit part with Buckshots excellent take on stalking not 'killing' -

Stalked on Goat Fell two years back with head stalker. We glassed ( traditional three draw telescope used on hill ) a possible cull hind and calf further up the Glen. Only approach was to crawl up a Spur. Arran is strange in that you get very waterlogged slopes - it was effectively soggy bog with streaming water. In places the water was frozen. I unclipped one end of my rifle case and used it as a drag bag.

We crawled 400-500 yds - hands and knees. Thereafter it was flat on ground and snaking for say 200 yds. This took us past the back of a young stag - say 5 yds away. Last 150 yds was flat down, pulling with finger tips and pushing with toes. Head down and face just above water.

The Stalker peeked up and uttered 'oh deary me' ( sounded like that anyway - could have been in Gaellic? :shock: ), we froze - at the time I was laying on top of his ankles ( not going to elaborate on how many pounds I am! ). The hind was walking toward us. She stopped short and started to graze. We lay frozen - in both senses. For maybe 15 minutes. She slowly turned, still feeding. She had a wee - we were close enough to both smell it and get slightly caught by the spatter.

As she moved off we risked a peek. The calf and hind were in great condition - not suitable for our cull plan.

So as not to disturb them we turned around and I help drag the stalker for a bit as his ankles were locked up. We crawled right back out past the stag to our starting point. There we finally sat up - maybe 1 1/2 or 2 hours after starting? We both had smiles that you could see from the road in the bottom of the Glen. We sat for maybe 20 minutes just giggling. It had been a fantastic stalk. No shot taken, rifle never left its cover. The intent was there - that made the difference.

Moderators - be interested how Buckshot finds his. My Browning fitted with a Boss - which tunes the barrel and reduces recoil. But the back blast is horrendous. A moderator also tames recoil and from the ones I have seen cuts down a full-bore rifle to sound like a .22 rimfire.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Well I must be doing something wrong or right.

Apart from my usual outdoor gear and air rifle the only 'hunting' items I carry are a pair of stalking boots (british army hockey pumps to be exact).

On a hygiene note if I had a bad cut or some such on my hand I might had surgical gloves but usually a plaster does the trick.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I knew i forgot something on the list...
Cut proof gloves made from woven steel to wear under the disposable ones when gralloching.

Oakleaf, The mod is great. :-D
Reduces sound to unsurpressed .22 levels - a justifyable reason on H&S grounds alone !
Reduces muzzle flash to almost nothing because all the gasses expand inside the mod rather than in full view.
Reduces felt recoil to somewhere between a .22 and a .243. (for my .308)
It moves point of impact from the unmodded barrel because of the different harmonics, but doesn't widen the group so accuracy is still good - sub inch groups at 100m

I went zeroing with a couple of stalking friends to show them the moderator. One had a .308, the other a .243. They had a go with mine, the following week both put their tickets in for a variation for a mod !

I would definatley reccomend one.
Be aware that if using as variable scope on low power with an around the barrel type mod (Reflex etc.) you can see the mod alot through the scope.
It depends if you adjust the mag on your scope as to whether this is an issue for you.
I would guess your 30.06 wouldn't be a problem as you'd be shooting at longer range on the hill and therefore use a higher mag, but for woodland stalking some people prefer the thinner type of mod that fits infront of the barrel (I have that type).
Horses for courses...

Cheers

Mark

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Buckshot

Defn on my wish list. Reflex would be preference ( both stalking rifles scoped with 6x42 S & B ). Jackson Rifles the importer do a model to fit straight onto the existing Boss threads.

Renewal next year so may sort then.

Tried electronic ear defenders - but wind noise drives you crackers.

Not too bad for a single shot, but if culling hinds etc, there is serious ear ache with the Boss.

How do you find the Woodlore knife for gralloching etc?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE