Tooled Sporran. critique needed!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
lovely work Hamish, and it keeps getting better! curious, do you work on board or do you have a land workshop?

here you go steve, evidence of my cramped working conditions :lmao: i keep most of my leather in the bow you can see some rolls in thhat box and theres boxes and bags of the stuff behind the doors which you cant see. theres also tool boxes and rucksacks in there surprised it all fits
cimg2241e.jpg

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
From the Scottish Gaelic meaning black knife (or rather knife, black), c.f. sgian arain, bread knife or sgian pheann, penknife.

I knew that learning Gaelic would come in useful one day!

I know I'm teaching the Scots folk to suck eggs, but it was the only blade that you could keep (hidden) on your person when visiting. Your dirk or claymore would have to be left at the door.

Geoff :)

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Very nice work there Hamish.
Just one wee amendment here though you wear the glove not the cat.
Very similar to the MacBain motto “Touch not the Cat Bot a Targe” roughly translated is Don’t go anywhere near that crazy without a shield.

Last edited:

Dreadhead

Very nice work there Hamish.
Just one wee amendment here though you wear the glove not the cat.
Very similar to the MacBain motto “Touch not the Cat Bot a Targe” roughly translated is Don’t go anywhere near that crazy without a shield.

Aye cheers it is meant to be touch not the cat BOT a glove. but the crest the customer sent me had BUT a glove on it. i will mostly likely amend this before i post it

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
But or Bot is don’t really make any difference it’s all lost in the translation from Gaelic to English and accent,. take MacKay for instance there isn’t even a K in Gaelic it should be MacAoidh.
Spelling is the last thing to worry about Bro.
I'm lucky my clan motto's in Latin.

Last edited:

Dreadhead

yeah. Personally i would have looked at the details more closely but i carved this from an image the customer sent me; the cat had claws and it said BUT. clan crests are stressful! i still have to make a matching sheath for the sgian dubh

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE