Tooled Sporran. critique needed!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hey all i finally finished a sporran today i have been working on for a while and need some opinions!

First off this is one part of a large commission. SWMBO is making a sgian dubh for him and i am making the sporran and matching sheath. He wanted the sporran to have fully laced edges, a large thistle for the flap, and his clan crest carved under the flap. this is what i came up with.

i used fiebings light brown dye but it all ended up mahogany! so i ordered some wine coloured leather to bridge them together and hope that he will like the mahogany. the oil dye also messed up the purple on the thistle turning it dark brown. but i think its a happy accident as the thislte is not so bright and garish now its more subtle. as i dont have a small makers mark sorted yet i stamped HG in runes in the back chain flap.

cimg2228t.jpg

cimg2229c.jpg

cimg2235.jpg

cimg2232z.jpg

cimg2233x.jpg

cimg2234v.jpg

cimg2236e.jpg

This was a challenge from the start as i have only made a modern styled sporran once before. from making the pattern to the final finish this has been a pain. i had to learn to double loop lace back to front so the sides matched up even not sure if it is visible in the photos but the lacing flows down both edges to meet in the middle at the bottom. i also had a panick when the dye turned mahogany but i just rolled with the punch and kept going. all in all the mahogany colour looks nice and sets it apart with the carving.

thanks for looking and any constructive critisism would be welcome :)

EDIT: sheath photos added (albeit taken in bad light)

cimg2303g.jpg

cimg2305r.jpg

cimg2308i.jpg

cimg2309yr.jpg

cimg2311h.jpg

you can see by the view from the bow/workshop why i am having trouble getting decent pictures!

cimg2307k.jpg

Last edited:

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Critical comment: I wish I'd made something as beautiful as that!

I can't see any way that it could be improved. I bet that took a LOT of hours. And I bet that if you calculate the hourly rate you're probably way below minimum wage. It's only when you make things like this that you realise that crafts that may seem to have a high price tag are, in reality, a bargain.

Keep 'em coming.

Geoff :)

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I've not been a fan of some of your work (some ;) ) but that is OUTSTANDING :thumbup: the best leather work I've ever seen. Washail

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Not a critisism but my own personal preference would have been the inside dyed too.
Other than that i think it looks brilliant.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Up-to your usual standards mate.
If it were mine I would just like it look look a little more aged but that comes with use ;)

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Fantastic work. Very well done - I'd be tempted to texture the area behind the lion on the crest - but I'd want to practice it elsewhere first. It doesn't need it mind. And like Dwardo maybe a tertiary wipe with a dark polish on a cloth to age the edges.. but again I'd practice on a scrap piece first to make sure it worked.

Dreadhead

thanks alot for the comments folks, your helping to settle the frustration iv had over it! almost ran out of lace too hopefully got enough for the matching sheath i will make when the sgian dubh is finished.

Johny i would have dyed the inside too but iv ran out of the oil dye i normally use. i have some eco-flo water based dye but im scared it will leach. i left the inside rough so that you can still feel the natural leather, still a little rugged!

Dreadhead

Fantastic work. Very well done - I'd be tempted to texture the area behind the lion on the crest - but I'd want to practice it elsewhere first. It doesn't need it mind.

i did think about doing that, wish i had too. but im always a little hesitant on texturing commissions when they have not stated anything like that in the brief. iv started texturing pretty much everything else i make

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I've dyed the inside of things before then wished I hadn't. I like the contrast and patina it takes on over time though, personal preferances and all that...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE