tooled scotland notepad cover

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
very true Geoff. i think its mainly because i dont want to take the P*** but leatherwork is my full time job at the moment. another problem is mixing friends with business as i always end up charging them for materials and doing the work for free half the time. im now beginning to realise just how much work i do put in and that i should be charging much more for what is all custom work

For custom work, I tend to go for a more realistic price, because I don't have the economy of scale /experience that I get when I'm making stuff that I've done before, and I quote up front. At the moment (because I do leatherwork part time and can't therefore make that much stuff) I am able to sell as much as I make so, whilst custom stuff is enjoyable to do, I don't need to do it, so there's little point in discounting the price - unless it is a new concept that I can use to gain some skills /experience for future items.

However, IMHO, if you are trying to make a living, you need to charge the going rate, or at least a sustainable rate for you to live. I don't like doing it myself, but you have to put a business head on youself.

I suppose I can re-phrase my earlier statement to: would you pay that, if you had the money? For example, even if I had unlimited money, I don't think I could pay £500 for a pair of shoes.

Geoff :)

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
very true again. i think when it comes down to 'would you pay for that' your customer base is important. people on these forums will pay alot for a well made sheath as it is usually for a well made expensive knife. but your average joe will take a very different approach to the price for a sheath or a pouch i think.

you mention that with custom work you charge a bit less if its a new design. i think thats why i charge little because most custom work is the first time iv tried it and if it comes out good, i will charge the next person the correct price and atleast i have got the experience of making it out of the transaction

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Superb job Hamish looks awesome, like the style of thistle you did there
and I would say 50ish as well, especially seeing the fact you are making someone a custom job.
Yours sincerely Ruud

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Very nicely done ,really like the thistle goodjob
you are fairly churning out your leather work now ,keep up the good work

Jason

thejollyroger

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2010
england
That looks really good. Excellent work.
Its always hard to price work but don't under price your work. Each piece is individual and hand made.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE