3 Viking Sword Scabbards

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I love anything to do with norse culture, or swords. Sword scabbards have to be one of the most fun things to make for me. A few weeks ago a member here asked me to make him another two to go with the one i made for him a few months ago. so whilst working on those, i decided to clothe my own sword at the same time. And as the two scabbards were just picked up i can now show off the pictures of all three :)

The scabbard commissions were to be the same design with belt loops rivetted and stitched so that they hung vertically. one was to have a wolf print and runes, the other a sparrowhawk, talon, and runes.

For my own scabbard i wanted something with spirals as usual so i went with a pictish dotwork spiral design, with two celtic D rings forged by Everything Mac of this parish. very chuffed indeed :)

All three were made in one week by hand, all hand saddle-stitched with artifical sinew. Fingers are like talons i tell ye

8wz4.jpg

rxqu.jpg

f7y2.jpg

00rd.jpg

y0yb.jpg

0sl7.jpg

fv6t.jpg

I also just finished these little necker sheaths for mine and swmbos viking neck knives

6i89.jpg

jpi6.jpg

tug5.jpg

Thats all i can show for now ;) have plenty of other juicy things but there shall be no pictures until they reach their new owners

Thanks for looking

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Lovely work as usual. I really like the design of those viking neck hives and sheaths, are they the sheepskin you used for the pouch you made for yourself the other day ?

Dreadhead

Nice work as usual. Can you use the neckknives as a steel striker for flint too?

I haven't tried but i'm not sure if the steel will give any good sparks however i do have several steel strikers anyway ;)

Lovely work as usual. I really like the design of those viking neck hives and sheaths, are they the sheepskin you used for the pouch you made for yourself the other day ?

thanks and yes it is the same sheepskin. it is so stretchy that i didn't have to wet form it. just stretched it round and glued then stitched very nice stuff

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Lovely stuff as always. Bet there is some hide in those scabbards, must have fingers like bone by now.

Jun 27, 2011
Canada
Those scabbards are top notch! Any Viking worth his mead would be covetous of them. I suppose you're going to tease us, and not show the blades of those swords,eh. :swordfigh
Cheers
Alex

Dreadhead

thanks folks

Those scabbards are top notch! Any Viking worth his mead would be covetous of them. I suppose you're going to tease us, and not show the blades of those swords,eh. :swordfigh
Cheers
Alex

you know i didn't take any! the two commission swords were blunt reenactment swords. Mine however is hand forged and battle ready with a viciously sharp edge i do have an old photo of it before i re-wrapped the handle in twine and made the new scabbard

y9qm.jpg

Dreadhead

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE