Tool Carrying!

Does anybody have any good hints and tips on carrying a selection of green woodworking tools to the wood?

I know some of you bushcrafters will ask why so many tools but it is actually to demonstrate traditional skills through my work. I have recently been able to acquire some more kit and would like an organised tool bag as it were!

Tends to be spoon carving kit, sloyd, two sppon knives, two or three axes, a pruning saw, secatuers, brace and bits, froe, tenon auger and on occasion some drawknives too... and maybe a few other niknaks! sounds a lot but it's handy to have it all to hand!

Any advice appreciated.

many thanks

Leo

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
I don't know what size you need. I have found the canvas elections
bag good to carry gear. I keep one in my plane with my survival kit
You may want to look at these.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
A bucket shaped canvas joiner's bass is traditional and useful, strong and hardwearing and the big ones will take a lot of kit. I reckon I could get everything you listed into my small one. You can pad lock it shut with the eyelet ring's on the edge. You just need to dry it out well if it gets rained on as the canvas holds the moistrue. I would wrap knives (in there sheath's) seperately in chamois leather or custom make a tool roll from leather for the stuff that damage's easily. And a hollowed out box for the sharpening stone, dont forget a file or 2 as well! And a drop of oil!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I use a canvas roll for my carving kit. They are simple to make to your own specs. I'd make a couple of different sized ones for your kit, one for smaller stuff and one for the axes and larger items

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hillbill, I'm not a leathersmith, have you seen any plans for these rolls, I imagine they are bespoke for the tools you have but I could get someone to make some I suppose.

Leo

Sorry mate i dont. I just got some thick canvas laid my tools on it with a little room for movement in between for a measurement. Cut it. Folded and sewed the edges over then just cut various size patches out to make the individual pouches from and sewed them on. The good thing about it is you make it all customised for each of your tools so there is a set place for everything.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Why not get a decent hessian sack, tie the neck with rope and use it like a giant shoulder bag or with a stick like an olld tramp? They used hessian sack's for everything, before plastic and polypropalene came in

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Does anybody have any good hints and tips on carrying a selection of green woodworking tools to the wood?

I know some of you bushcrafters will ask why so many tools but it is actually to demonstrate traditional skills through my work. I have recently been able to acquire some more kit and would like an organised tool bag as it were!

Tends to be spoon carving kit, sloyd, two sppon knives, two or three axes, a pruning saw, secatuers, brace and bits, froe, tenon auger and on occasion some drawknives too... and maybe a few other niknaks! sounds a lot but it's handy to have it all to hand!

Any advice appreciated.

many thanks

Leo
I'd say something like this 35l rucksack

Ha! yes you're right Dave it is a landrover to the woods and then a rather overflowing tool bag to site! As I say it's principally for demonstration and I suppose ease of transportation. It's nice to be able to lay your hands on a tool when you need it.

I think the problem with the ruck sack, and the tool bag I use at the moment, is that you have to rummage about or empty out things to get to what you want

The tote looks like it could work... and the tool roll idea (coupled with carpenters bag) is nice too as they both offer a nice organised way of looking after things. Some good ideas, thanks guys.

I know a National Trust warden who has some nice wooden boxes for storage but are still a little impractical for moving about.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Ha! yes you're right Dave it is a landrover to the woods and then a rather overflowing tool bag to site! As I say it's principally for demonstration and I suppose ease of transportation. It's nice to be able to lay your hands on a tool when you need it.

I think the problem with the ruck sack, and the tool bag I use at the moment, is that you have to rummage about or empty out things to get to what you want

The tote looks like it could work... and the tool roll idea (coupled with carpenters bag) is nice too as they both offer a nice organised way of looking after things. Some good ideas, thanks guys.

I know a National Trust warden who has some nice wooden boxes for storage but are still a little impractical for moving about.
The rucksack is cheap and easy enough to modify, take the sack off and make a tool roll, a flat canvas covered board for holding the axes and froe head maybe with straps to hold it to the frame, with fold out canvas wings for the rest of the cutting tools. Roll each side to the middle and fasten with a buckle. Then a top flap to keep the whole thing neat.
On the other hand, everything neatly strapped inside a plywood box, you can just use the bare rucksack frame as a carry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE