Too Much Technology?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rod

On a new journey
If you're anything like me you are a bit of a kit hoarder and love nothing better that to drool over my toys. Having said that, bushcraft (to me) is about learning, understanding and practicing skills - the craft of being outdoors in any environment, in any weather and being comfortable.

It seems to me that some of us bushcrafty types either totally immerse ourselves in the more ancient skills (e.g. bow drills & flint knapping), whilst others have a mix of up to date gadgets (e.g. mobile phones and GPS).

I confess that when i'm out in my local woods I'm liable to have my mobile phone as I may be meeting up with some of the other Chilterns' 'locals'. However, when I'm away (e.g. In the hills) I don't often take a mobile. Reception is poor/non existant, and I tend to use a phonebox if I need to make a call. As a kid I had to learn to plan, but remain adaptable, and to navigate - so a GPS isn't something I own either. (Aside. Personally I suspect any object that can tell me my location - the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if it isn't telling some nerd at a computer somewhere else where I am! ;) )

So, in a roundabout way I'm wondering how much technology we need as bushcrafters? Some is good as it makes for and easier time out. E.g. I use a strike force firelighter as its more efficient that a bow drill, and works in any conditions - yet I understand and know how to make and use a dow drill, and I value this knowledge and skill.

Over last weekend I met up with Chris Claycombe, James Lenton and Longstrider: one of our rambling discussions involved "could you make do with just 15 items of kit?"

This would mean:-
boots & laces
socks
trousers
shirt
hat
warm layer
outer layer
underwear
(9) items

Each of these would count as one item of your 15 (some feel that boots and laces are 2 items, I feel boots without laces won't get you far and making cordage laces will take a good bit of your time :rolleyes: )

A knife and sheath are 2 items (according to some) - I would count as one (for safety)

Add what else to feel you need, but what else would you carry - but no more that 15 in total.

I guess the gist of my thread is to make us look at what we carry and what we need to carry. So encouraging us to keep our skills sharper and live closer to nature.

Just a few thoughts

andy_scouser

Nov 29, 2005
Ormskirk
Are you asking whats the minimum you can get away with? I know the abbo course at Woodsmoke is something daft like clothes and a knife!

I would have thought you would need the following 5 items if you didn't know the area/water quality.

millbanks bag
head torch
stainless billy can
map
compass

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Hi Rod............I would love to rough it proper, with minimal kit, but I don't get out for overnighters that much (must do more), and tend to go out to enjoy the time spent, with little luxuarys, such as kit, oh and beer. Thing is though if I had to make containers, string, shelter etc etc, I would not have time to get bored (not that I do outdoors) or time for myself to just enjoy my surroundings, because I would be busy doing the essentials....................Jon Anyone up for a minimalistic weekend ?

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Minimalistic is why i got into bushcraft in the first place. But, like alot of folks, it is so easy to get carried away with toys, (not necessarilly modern gadgets, but there is alot of kit out there). i like just getting out with the minimal amount of kit that i, personaly feel comfortable with. Some would say what i take is far too much, others, not enough. I know what i need to survive and be comfortable and, as i learn new skills, some things become redundent or modern kit is replaced by stuff i make myself. You shou only do what you enjoy, not what others enjoy.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think that a major part of the "kit junkie" side of things is simply that we are an affluent society. We are wealthy enough to be able to afford not only to purchase good equipment but to be able to buy a selection of good equipment.
The temptation is to buy more, and it takes great willpower to say, "Enough!"
I find it incredibly heartening that so many folks on the forum would place a higher value on a tool or clothing they'd made themselves than an overpriced/overhyped *Must have*
In the hungry 30's many unemployed men wandered Scotland's hills simply as something to do that eased their minds and lifted their spirits. Their kit was very minimalistic. Woollen jackets, trousers, socks, pullovers, hats and gloves. Linen shirts. Ordinary leather boots and a small army pack sufficed for their kit. Most simply had a small folding pocket knife, and if they were very fortunate an ex army pup tent.
They managed fine without all of the paraphanelia that we consider so necessary.

I'd add a small rucksac, a lightweight tarp, a fire kit, a waterbottle and a sleeping bag to the list...if I were staying out.

Cheers,
Toddy

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I really don't think it's such a bad thing to be a kit junkie, I've got a huge amount of kit and I really don't mind purchasing more. I know in my case, I don't really get a chance to get out into the bush that often, I've only been out a handful of times in the past year due to work and school expectations. And I also don't think it would be too prudent of me to assume that more than a few of the posters in this community also fall into that category, "Get out when you have the time."

That said, I honestly wonder about those fifteen items from time to time. Some days I think I could definately do it, and others I think I'd probably fail at living in the bush with so little kit. I think the real question is, would we really want to?

Adam

andy_scouser

Nov 29, 2005
Ormskirk
After my 1st outing at woodsmoke last week, I had everything in my 30+5 vango rucksack that I needed...no cooking equipment of course but everything i needed for the week. Then you start thinking, ill bring spares of this and that, and it would be nice to take this etc... before i knew it, I had my 30+5 and a 25 AND a carry bag full to the brim. Needless to say, i brought most of it home unused.

The abo course, you will walk out, equipped with only a knife, pot, and snare wire, for three days and nights.

Thats more like it, but you would need access to shelter building trees/leaves etc. We had a very comfortable 4 man shelter built within 3 hours, 4 people working/searching for material. Absoluted fantastic way to sleep, and especially wake up in the morning.

I wouldn't put myself in this situation right now, but, thats what i'd like to get to, after using and mastering the knowledge ive got already.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE