Tomahawk!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have fancied getting a tomahawk for a while, but can't afford the handmade ones, unfortunately. I have read a few good things recently about the relatively inexpensive Cold Steel Trail Tomahawk and decided to buy one, to see what can be done with one of those.

The only thing is, I don't like the black paint, or the stuff on the handle, or the screw hole on the side of the head! So I decided to mod it a bit.
118646.jpg

The first thing to go was the black paint, I used sand paper first then paint stripper to finish it off completely.

Next I welded the hole on the side of the head, then filed it smooth, and finally took a file to all the sharp edges, particularly around the eye as this was damaging the handle and preventing it from coming off smoothy.

P1030081.jpg

P1030083.jpg

Better looking already, I think.

It's as far as I got for now, it's going to be a work in progress...

The other mods are going to be: etching the blade to age it, a bit of wood work on the handle, I might even make another handle altogether as I don't like the way the grain is running on this one, and finally, some cast pewter decorations on the handle.

I'll keep you posted!

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
That looks like a different axe, well done. What was the hole in the side ?, was it a manufacture defect ?, also where did you get it from, i've fancied one for a while.

Thanks, Rob

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Can i ask where you get em from? i love what you've done with it, i take it they go on similar to a pic axe?

Boston973

Feb 3, 2009
Mass
I have been using a trail hawk for the last five years. Its not my main carry but its definetly my beeter. I have used it to chop out roots and such when I am gathering sapplings for canes. Then hit it with a file and bring the edge back. Great little hawk.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I use a riflemans and a throwing hawk...great fun and a reasonable price too. I've done nothing to mine but I'm tempted now :)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've got a riflemans hawk.
I did a "chop off" against a SFA once.
It won easily.
It just isn't as nice as my SFA.
Aesthetics counts for a lot too.

TaTanka

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 28, 2010
Texas
My main carry axe right now is a Tomahawk. It's a replica of a Comanchee thrower, once they had spare axes from the settlers, they adapted them to their own use. It was a great balance and the edge holds up really well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE