Tom Brown Tracker Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
I was doing a search on the web and came accross this https://www.trackerschool.com/KnifeAboutTrack.cfm
has anyone got one or used one (I'll be surprised if Hoodoo hasn't used one), how do they feel in the hand as they seem quite large, this is the TOPS made version that was used in the film The Hunted. Any info or opinions would be interesting.

Brian

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Brian said:
I was doing a search on the web and came accross this https://www.trackerschool.com/KnifeAboutTrack.cfm
has anyone got one or used one (I'll be surprised if Hoodoo hasn't used one), how do they feel in the hand as they seem quite large, this is the TOPS made version that was used in the film The Hunted. Any info or opinions would be interesting.

Brian

I've seen and handled one although never used one - that said all I can say is Tom might be inspirational as a teacher and have many devoted followers but he cant design a bushcraft knife!

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
:eek:

TrackerKnife.jpg

:confused:

Tack

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2005
West Midlands
Brian,
I too have handled the Topps version of this knife but have never used it. It is my understanding that a knive maker called Dave Beck made the original knife for the film "The Hunted" but, being a custom maker did not want to produce the knife for re-sale. As a result Topps now officially make the knife although there are copies around.
The Topps knife is made of 1095 steel coated with an anti-corrosion material. The grips are Micarta.
The general consensus of opinion within the knife world is that the design attempts to be all things to all men, and fails in most. Furthermore the knife is very expensive given the materials used.
A better version of the design is made by Roger Linger who uses O1 steel for the blade. His knife has a great deal more attention to detail.
Incidentally Roger also makes some exceptionally good bushcraft knives. Do a search for him and you won't be disappointed.
Regards
Tack

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I've never handled it or anything, but i believe the same as Gary. He's trying to put too many tools in one knife. A simple knife is much better IMO and if one wants multiple tools, then i can recommend a Swiss army knife. ;)

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Mors Kochanski promoted a survival knife- Those red handled moras :D G.B. has the various incarnations of the Woodlore Chris Janowski of WSI in Alaska marketed The Ranger ( also made by TOPS) a fairly straightforward knife with striking anvil for splitting wood, rangefinding holes, a bowdrill divot and butt scraper for woodcarving. Tom Brown lent his name to the Tracker. Ron Hood has the ATAX and last of all the former Soviet Empire issued the spetsnatz survival machete with mutliple cutting and sawing surfaces, an arched blade for digging and even a hollow handle with a few matches and fishhooks. Then you have the classic hollow handles survival knives ranging from the rediculous Rambo bowies to the decent Spanish Aitor line and super expensive Randalls ( designed by an astronaut in the mercury programme and not a survival instructor) and the very well made Chris Reeve one piece line. Notice how the price curve apogee matches the performance paragee :p

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Coming back on track a wee bit ;)
I fully agree with Tack having handled the Topps version on a few occasions. It is really REALLY heavy and even the edge meant for carving is better at bruising wood than cutting. The movie knife, including the smaller companion blade, appeared a much better crafted tool.

Roger Linger's looks much closer to the Beck verion
R. Linger
http://riflestocks.tripod.com/pics38.html

The only thing that I am not sure about is whether this amalgamation of tools is really weight efficient. I mean, there is no doubt that it would be nice to have all your tools in one place, a carver, a chopper and a saw, but certainly the TOPS version is pushing it weight wise. I am far from convinced that a GB mini (or even a wildlife hatchet), a puukko or similar, and a pack saw would weigh more than the Tracker knife.

Due to its shape you have lost some of the soft vegetation cutting ability usually associated with larger knives.

If you are really interested, go have a look on www.Bladeforums.com, there are LOTS of threads about the different Tracker knives there.
This is one of the good ones:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246478

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
Its certainly a conversation starter... Would anyone bring one to seriously use on a bushcrafty course? I doubt it.

You could have a large bowie blade like a Cold Steel , 4" spearpoint and at the very least a quality folder for less money. I know what I would find more use out of.

The Jack of all trades... is master of none.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Thanks to you all, I wasn't sure how good it would be, they are possibly using Tom Browns name and reputation to sell it. I think I'll stick with my woodlore, GB, Buck 110 and folding saw for the moment. SWMBO is also pleased as I've taken it off my wish list, I think she wants another hand bag!

Brian

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
C_Claycomb said:
Coming back on track a wee bit ;)
I fully agree with Tack having handled the Topps version on a few occasions. It is really REALLY heavy and even the edge meant for carving is better at bruising wood than cutting. The movie knife, including the smaller companion blade, appeared a much better crafted tool.

Roger Linger's looks much closer to the Beck verion
R. Linger
http://riflestocks.tripod.com/pics38.html

The only thing that I am not sure about is whether this amalgamation of tools is really weight efficient. I mean, there is no doubt that it would be nice to have all your tools in one place, a carver, a chopper and a saw, but certainly the TOPS version is pushing it weight wise. I am far from convinced that a GB mini (or even a wildlife hatchet), a puukko or similar, and a pack saw would weigh more than the Tracker knife.

Due to its shape you have lost some of the soft vegetation cutting ability usually associated with larger knives.

If you are really interested, go have a look on www.Bladeforums.com, there are LOTS of threads about the different Tracker knives there.
This is one of the good ones:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246478

well put! i've used one very briefly. i was astounded at the lack of penetration.

Notice how the price curve apogee matches the performance paragee

:D :rolleyes:

i get what you mean, a bit harsh, perhaps the superb chris reeve one piece line is the exception that proves the rule eh? the aitor stuff is waay under rated.

i can't find paragee in any dictionary though?
cheers, and.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
The General said:
Its certainly a conversation starter... Would anyone bring one to seriously use on a bushcrafty course? I doubt it.QUOTE]

i have been on a course and a student tried to use the tracker knife. Was ok for spilting but when he tried to use it to carve he ended up with a rather nice cut to his hand as the blade acclerated from the steep curve. Needlss to say he was told it might not have been the best tool for the job. After he stopped bleeding he used a micarta woodlore.

I always thought that apogee was the most distant point in an eliptical orbit and perigee was the closest in.
I shall have to call my Mora perigee since it's always in with me. I think I'll pass on the far out (apogee) stuff at those prices. But each to their own!

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
The one time that saw and handled the 'tracker' knife I noticed the following:

The handle was so large I had trouble holding it

The bevel was so obtuse that it had almost no penetration and it was difficult to achieve even the most basic carving

It was rather good for beating in tent pegs in hard ground due to its weight

It looks rather comical

It is my conclusion that the tops tracker knife had almost no practical use, even its owner admitted to carrying a proper knife for actual work.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Oh enough already!!!

The last 5 posts don't add anything to the discussion, they don't even go off track in a useful direction.

Please keep to the subject.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE