Tom Brown Tracker (1st version)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sten

Jan 13, 2007
the dreaded 'burbs
Does anyone out there have any experience of the tom brown tracker knife?
My interest in this design is primarily because its the only one I’ve seen where the maker has tried to demonstrate a fit-to-purpose for a number of different jobs, and from this point of view the knife looks well thought out. I’ve not seen any other designs that attempt to serve so many purposes all in one blade.
Can anyone recommend any alternatives?

I want the knife as an all purpose bushcraft and hunting knife.
I realise that the ‘all purpose’ bit will inevitably mean some compromises.
Its main jobs will be;
Building hides/shelters – hence my looking for something robust
Butchering critters from squirrel to deer size
Scraping hides
I’d also like to have a go at tillering a bow in the field.

Thanks for your help
:You_Rock_

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy!

Let me first say that I've never even handled, let alone used, a Tom Brown Tracker.

That being said, judging by the images I just found on google, I wouldn't want to... so now, assuming that the image I found was indeed the tracker, here I go...

The first issue I had was the grind. Definitely has a secondary bevel, probably a hollow grind.

Secondly, the serrations on the back look completely useless to me. I've had at least half a dozen knives with serrations, and I've found no use for them; though they do hurt in some circumstances.

According to the site I saw it on, the blade is 1/4" thick? :eek: FAR too thick, in my humble opinion - especially considering that the blade is only 4 1/2" long. Seems to me that the thickness would make the "draw knife" section completely useless.

I don't know much about preparing game, but I'd also guess that it's far too big to butcher a squirrel in any really skillful way.

I'm relatively confident, however, that it would be great for splitting wood. And possibly cutting down a small tree...

I can't help but squirm, thinking of what that knife would do to a bowstave.

The only feature that I like on it is the handle, which looks to be an OK shape, though its shape coupled with the serrations would make it again, almost useless as a drawknife.

I know I'm not a knife expert, so someone with more knowledge please correct me if I'm wrong, but I really think you should go for something else.

Have you considered a combination? Like, a thin-bladed knife like a Mora or a Nessmuk skinner coupled with a hand-axe? I think a combination such as that would probably suit all of your needs far better than the Tracker.

Peace out!!

leon-1

sten said:
Does anyone out there have any experience of the tom brown tracker knife?
My interest in this design is primarily because its the only one I’ve seen where the maker has tried to demonstrate a fit-to-purpose for a number of different jobs, and from this point of view the knife looks well thought out. I’ve not seen any other designs that attempt to serve so many purposes all in one blade.
Can anyone recommend any alternatives?

Its main jobs will be;
Scraping hides

Thanks for your help
:You_Rock_

Hi, I have handled one, it is a big knife. It has terrible balance for a tool that you may be using all day, it is not as bad as I thought it would be, but it still isn't good. It is heavy at 1 and 3/4 pounds due to it's thickness.

The bevels are the same as a scandi grind, so they are flat, but it has got quite a nasty secondary bevel, that is one thing, another is due to the thickness of the blade (and it most definitely is 1/4" thick) the bevels are quite steep, meaning that a larger surface area is going to be trying to penetrate wood in a shallower depth. A longer thinner blade would be better at chopping into wood or any other matter come to that.

The saw is not really effective, this is partially due to its length and partially due to the teeth pattern and thickness.

Effectively the idea and thought had been put into making this knife, as it had with the wilkinson sword dartmoor, but in the end both suffered with the same problem, someone had tried to make them a jack of all trades, the problem that you then get is that they are not very good at anything that they were designed to do.

In all honesty you could go out and buy yourself a good folding or arborists saw, a knife that you could rely upon, a small axe like the GB or wetterlings mini or even a vaughan hatchet. They would weigh the same or less, perform the tasks that you ask of them far better, far quicker and probably cost you less.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
The TOPS made Tom Brown Tracker resembles a prybar with a few shapes ground into it. IMHO, you're better off with a decent sheath knife and a Leatherman. The one's I've handled had a grind so steep that looked more like the edge of a chisel than a knife.

The knife they used in the movie 'The Hunted' wasn't a TOPS made Tom Brown Tracker, but it was one of the older Trackers made by Beck. The Beck knives used a flatter grind, a better shaped handle, better steel, and a different saw.

One American knifesmith I converse with occasionally commented that he has had numerous TOPS made Tom Brown Trackers sent to him for a serious reprofiling job.

woodchips

Aug 30, 2006
Bristol, UK
Looks a bit nasty looking, like some kind of klingon fantasy fighting knife. People have a hard enough time accepting sharp tools being used outside of the home or workplace as it is, I think carrying something like that is just going to get you into a lot of trouble at some point, or at the very least scare some "natives" witless.

Knives of the woodlore, falkniven f1 and mora school of thought are definately a lot more friendly looking in my book and all far more practical at carving wood. (except I found the f1 couldn't carve wood until I reprofiled it).

As mentioned above, saw, small knife and mini hatchet will cost a less (if you get the frosts mora) and probably weigh about the same and if you loose one bit on a trip you can make do with the other two.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I came across an article about the tracker on a Hungarian site, many pictures for anyone interested in this item, including some of it being used for delicate work, which I wouldn't have thought possible :)

article here

(for the record, I think its an ugly and impractical thing)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
A shame there isn't an English version. That looks like a pretty thorough review. Note though that the one that was being used for all the work had been heavily reground. One of the main complaints with this knife is the way that the design has been executed by TOPS.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Its main jobs will be;
Scraping hides

I second everything that has been said about the Tracker....I certainly would not consider buying one for any of the jobs you mention. A shame as I like Tom Browns books.

Having said that do not despair, the knife you desire has not only been designed but honed and refined through hundreds of years in the toughest environments. It called a Leku, search on that here or British Blades or even google, you will find lots of them and not to expensive, better looking than a tracker too IMHO .
:)

lupus

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
at home
i have a tom brown tracker and it's not as bad as it looks. i have carved spoons, roughed out kuksas made pot hangers and used it for many other jobs as well.
but i did have to reshape the grinds quite a lot to get it cutting right.
i would not recommend it to someone with little experience of hand cutting tools as it takes a bit of getting use to .
jack of all trades master of non comes to mined.

for the cost of it you could get a good Axe, knife and saw which will work much better.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I'd second Robins recommendation of a Leuku if you really only want to carry one tool. But I'd suggest an axe and a 3-4" thin bladed knife such as a scandinavian style or nessmuk.

Forked_Stick

Feb 27, 2008
Earth / USA / New York
I agree, its not what I would want to carry. I actually prefer the Scout Companion knife...

According to Tom, no one knife is perfect for every situation, but the Tracker Knife is designed to be the one that covers all the tasks of a survival situation.

Ive seen Tom put down a Tracker Knife and take out a pocket knife...for the right situation.

That said, I always thought it was way over priced...Im looking for a new axe.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
A shame there isn't an English version. That looks like a pretty thorough review. Note though that the one that was being used for all the work had been heavily reground. One of the main complaints with this knife is the way that the design has been executed by TOPS.

oh yeah i have used a stock version and it was pretty poor.

looks like alot of work has gone into this baby
image081.jpg

cheers, and.

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
I am going against the grain here, but I like the Tracker.:p

I dont have one, but if I had the cash spare I would buy one, purely for the sake of owning one.
I suppose it is like the people who buy the Woodlore at a high price, given the choice I would have the Tracker. Although my user knives are a woodlore style copy and a Helle Eggan.

I would love to have a try with one as I do a lot of wood carving with various tools, Axes, knives, crook knives, draw knives etc etc and I would just like to have a go doing various jobs with one.

Someone earlier (sorry fogot who) said they had one and it was more practical than you would think. A great tool in the hands of a fool is still a great tool but a poor tool in the hands of a skilled man can pruduce wonderful work.

I need one more post now to hit 100, Hmm, lets see.;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE