Toenail knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Nope, not clippers :D

I stumbled upon the Elephants Toenail knife on the Heinnie website, this one being made by Rough Rider.

http://heinnie.com/2ofXds224663/Knives/Rough-Rider/Rough-Rider-Elephants-Toenail/p-92-602-4190/

4190.jpg

I've bought a couple for me and my dad, should be here tuesday :D

Has anyone any experience with Toenail knives, though? They seem to date from the early 20th or very late 19th century from what I've seen, and seem to have been advertised as a rope cutting knife or just generally heavy duty folder; apparantly, they tend to have very strong springs and, again from what I've read, could withstand battoning. How much of that is advertising, though, I don't know.

I'd also heard of them being used by sailors, which seems to make sense. They strike me as being like a short, folding Green River knife (which was originally a deck knife too, was it not?) intended for the same no-nonsense hard use.

They're pretty big for EDC, at 6.6" overall with main blade open, and a 2.7" blade. That's a big handle for a pocket knife :eek: I'll try it out though - they seem to have been used in vest pockets rather than trousers.

Any info and opinions on them would be great :D
Pete

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Nice looking EDC especially at that price..

Definitely :D Their whole range looks pretty good, and the folks on BB seem to consider them good value working knives. I'm glad I found them, I'd been on the lookout for that style knife after I decided the tidioute my girlfriend gave me is too close to the 3" mark to risk EDCing it...

Pete

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Those Rough Rider knives are pretty darn good. Amazingly good for the price. And they seem to hold an edge well. There's a woman on youtube that does a lot of woodcarving with Rough Rider knives.

I have a pretty good collection of them and I'm rarely disappointed, especially given their price. This is the last one I bought for $11.

rr_marlin_spike2b.jpg

rr_marlin_spike3b.jpg

rr_marlin_spike4b.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Lucky sunnuva... :p

Have you noticed any quality control issues, or are they pretty good?

Pete

Walk and talk are almost always very good. Once in a great while you get a weak blade. I've yet to find one that has side to side wobble. Can't predict the grind on the blades. Sometimes hollow ground, sometimes flat. On the bone handles, sometimes real minor chipping.

A few more...

rough_riders1b.jpg

roughrider_scout1b.jpg

Here's another shot of one of the barlows. I think I paid around $10 for it.

rough_rider_barlow1c.jpg

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Very nice, that barlow with the sawcut bone is stunning.

I take it the hollow ground ones have a pretty big radius? What are he springs like?

I hope Heinnie get more of these in stock, I can see a collection forming :D

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Very nice, that barlow with the sawcut bone is stunning.

I take it the hollow ground ones have a pretty big radius? What are he springs like?

I hope Heinnie get more of these in stock, I can see a collection forming :D

I just grabbed a couple trappers and checked them out. If I close my eyes and work the blades, I can't tell the difference between the RRs and my Case trappers.

Pryderi

Aug 6, 2005
Dorset and Wales
Previous to the ebay ban I used to buy Rough Rider knives from an ebay trader in the States (TTT knives if remember correctly) who had a good selection and good prices. Does anyone know of a trader in the UK who is stocking the full range? Failing that can someone recommend a US trader. I have emailed two asking for shipping prices including smokey mountain knives but neither answered.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I have to say, for cheap and cheerful knives you cant go wrong.

Well made, sharp as a razor and if you lose it out walking it shouldnt worry you too much.

Used to sell them on evil-Bay before the ban. Proved quite popular.

Also got a couple of CRKT, Gerber and Smith & Wesson.

Cheers

The Badger

Fancy posting pics of 'em? :D

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE