Today I went to the Crannog Centre and .....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
it was fully booked :(

We only had the morning spare before making tracks back to Yorkshire so I made a point of getting across there nice and early. I was gutted to hear they had a university party coming in about five minutes and so the next slot wasn`t until after lunch. I cheered myself up by spending some brass in the shop and got some nice leather bags and a few other bits aswell.

Nevermind, it`s a good excuse to get up there again soon.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
That's a shame. We had to wait for a slot when we went, but we had a nice campervan at the time to lounge around in.

Well worth a visit if you're that way out, not sure I'd make the journey from our neck of the woods for the centre on it's own.

Scoops

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Well worth a visit if you're that way out, not sure I'd make the journey from our neck of the woods for the centre on it's own.

Scoops

Fortunately Scoops the wife has fallen in love with the whole area from Strathyre up to Killin and Kenmore so she`s up for going back soon. We`ve even had a sneaky look at a few properties for sale up there so fingers crossed.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yeah the colours were amazing and we even got a bit of snow thrown in for good measure.

I took a few piccies so I`ll put them up Sunday when I get back from Middlewood.

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
Pity about the the crannog centre being fully booked Rich,,,guess it shows how good it is!
It would indeed be a lovely area to live. Good luck on the house hunting with the missus.
I've done many of the hills around there and paddled my sea kayak around loch tay (loads of great camping opportunities and very quiet too!).
Scoops, I'm hoping to try out open canoeing at some point and the trip down to Grandtully is one I am thinking about. Would you say it was suitable for a begginer to try out?

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Scoops, I'm hoping to try out open canoeing at some point and the trip down to Grandtully is one I am thinking about. Would you say it was suitable for a begginer to try out?

I'm a novice open boater, but I've a lot of whitewater kayak experience. If you're going with people who know what they're doing and can pick a line through the rapids which you can follow I'm sure you'll be fine.

If it's your first time on moving water and you don't have some people around to fish you and your kit out I'd suggest saving the trip for another day.

Open boats are pretty cool though :D

Scoops

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
Only moving water I've been on is the sea in my kayak which is a completely different kettle of fish! I don't know any open boaters yet so think I might do a course first to be on the safe side.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
East Coaster, I'm sure you should be able to find some open boaters in your neck of the woods, alternatively there's bound to be some of us southeners heading up to Scotland. I've joined a local outdoors club which does a bit of open boating. IMHO a club would be the best way to go as it solves the finding people to learn from and paddling companions problems in one go. Plus, it's a lot cheaper to join a club than attend a course and you get a whole year's fun :D

Scoops

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Only moving water I've been on is the sea in my kayak which is a completely different kettle of fish! I don't know any open boaters yet so think I might do a course first to be on the safe side.

The folks on Song of the Paddle are very friendly and helpful. If you really want to do this then maybe a post there would find someone in your neck of the woods who'd be happy to go with you for a try out. I know of a fair number in Scotland and they get out and about a lot.

cheers,
Toddy

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
The folks on Song of the Paddle are very friendly and helpful.... I know of a fair number in Scotland and they get out and about a lot.

That's another excellent idea. I'm sure a course would be great, but until you know you know what you're doing, it's nice to have someone on the river with you. On white water it's an essential!

Might need to take this elsewhere as we've hijacked Shewie's Crannog thread! :eek:

Scoops

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
Is this the Crannog that was just on the Time Team Special this evening. It really does look like an interesting visitors experience.

Although the experimental Archaeologist that had most to show was an English chef, where was our Toddy I screamed at the TV.:dunno:

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE