Toboggan Build

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Hi Dewi, thanks mate. Its only about 30cm diameter...... I thought that was pretty small considering its length.
I broke my ribs last sunday, and Ive been laid up since, but as soon as Im able, I'll start packing everything, to see how much room and bags it takes.
The airlines baggage allowance sucks. I need compression straps around the outside of my bags to make them the right size.

I hope the inflight movies are the revenant, followed by the new starwars. :p

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
More likely to be the remake of Point Break as an inflight film... that film just looks aweful.

I misread (or should that read, I didn't read, I just looked at the tape measure) and presumed that was inches :rolleyes: So used to my own tape measure that displays the inches larger than centimetres.... so 30cm isn't bad at all... and it makes a lot more sense than the 30" I thought you'd be hauling onto a plane! :eek:

How did you manage to break ribs?

Broke one of mine karting... I was 'ribbed' (couldn't resist the pun) that I'd made the karting thing up... and the real explanation was that I'd misjudged the jump from the wardrobe to the bed whilst dressed as Batman! Well, the joke was on them... I was dressed as Superman! :p

So... which superhero were you dressed up as at the time of the incident? :cool:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Dave don't you still get special baggage allowance for sporting equipment? I know skiers and the likes used to. (Not that my ice-climbing and general climbing kit used too, but if it fitted into ski bags it might? :rolleyes: ).

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Dave don't you still get special baggage allowance for sporting equipment? I know skiers and the likes used to. (Not that my ice-climbing and general climbing kit used too, but if it fitted into ski bags it might? :rolleyes: ).

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Im not sure how that works Colin. If its more or less expensive. I guess its worth asking the question though. Cheers.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Final thoughts.......

My Toboggan might look good, but it didnt work properly when I put a load on it.. :banghead:

So dont copy this design.

It was a relativly easy fix. But the main problem is cinching the straps from the running line. It warps the 3mm pe1000. Puts waves in it. So its not flat.

Had a think about a solution.

Ive now removed the brass loops from the purple paracord, and instead fitted the straps which go across the luggage, onto the purple paracord loops, under the thwarts.

If I were to start again, Id stagger the thwarts, so they were not evenly spaced apart.

So that I could get two straps across each bag. So Id measure them against the bags I would be using.

The running line should be fine, as are the clove hitches, and then attach the brass loops via prussiks to the running line, then just using bungees zigzagging across and back, will not offer any structural strength to holding the load down, but will offer some stablity from it slipping sideways.

The structural strength has to come from cinching down hard, directly over the thwarts.

If you pull too hard on the running line you end up with the front lifted up, or uneven kinks along the bottom of the pe1000.

THE END!

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Not THE END, rather a new beginning, lol, I will start my own thread on my build BUT, can you post a picture of your finished / altered toboggan please mate, I'm going to shamelessly steal your design Muhahahamuhahahaha, thanks.

PS, good meeting you and Dewi over the weekend :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Not THE END, rather a new beginning, lol, I will start my own thread on my build BUT, can you post a picture of your finished / altered toboggan please mate, I'm going to shamelessly steal your design Muhahahamuhahahaha, thanks.

PS, good meeting you and Dewi over the weekend :)

Hi Al. Yes, that was some weekend. :camping::beerchug: [I think]

Mine doesnt look any different to the photos Ive taken. I am going to have to do something with it. But not sure what yet. I will post it when I do, and will follow yours closely. :)

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Hi Al. Yes, that was some weekend. :camping::beerchug: [I think]

Mine doesnt look any different to the photos Ive taken. I am going to have to do something with it. But not sure what yet. I will post it when I do, and will follow yours closely. :)

Ok mate, I'll scrutinize yours and others and formulate a cunning 'boggan :D

And yes, cracking weekend ;)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I reckon it was an awesome weekend :D A nice mix of regular and urban bushcraft :rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing your build Al... if you need any bits or bats to help you along, you know who to nudge :D

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have had the dubious pleasure of pulling loaded tobbogans/ sleds, and I wonder if it is negative for it to be this flexible?
Surely it must be more hard work to bull it?

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I have had the dubious pleasure of pulling loaded tobbogans/ sleds, and I wonder if it is negative for it to be this flexible?
Surely it must be more hard work to bull it?

There are quiet a few people on here that have built this type of roll-able toboggan and they've proven to work and work well :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE