Toaster Pockets - fireproof?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
So those toaster pockets:
1032.jpg

They must be heat resistant to work in a toaster - but are they fireproof?

thinking a very small packing lightweight cooking container....

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I dunno, but they could be just the ticket for baking potatoes, in the fire ashes. Heck, I bet you could do a toasted sandwich that way.

Good thinking there, young man.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I was thinking, given it says turn em inside out to clean them, and they must be sealed to stop grease escaping into your toaster _ you could do beans, rice, bacon...practically anything. The convenient hole on top is how you hang em.

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
great shout! I have a pair and I'm definitely taking them out with me next time now, let us know if you test them out before I do, would love to know if they work ok, I'm sure they will.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nigel is king of camp toasties. Make up sandwich and 'toast' in a dry frying pan, works like a charm, no need for bags.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Aye, but the point is I don't want to carry a frying pan...

You can use an army billy can, any billy can you can fit the bread in, not tried a hot stone but see no reason why it would not work if hot enough. I'm taking a generator on the next trip, think I'll take my toastie machine with me :)

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
wonder if you could do the same thing if you heated a big flat stone. looks more bushy carrying in a big flat stone.

I want to suspend the toastie pocket off a tent peg down the middle of my volcano stove - this means I can extend it's use to cooking bacon, sausage, eggs etc. without having to pack a billy for when I'm on a bimble.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Wow - how's this for customer service. I emailed the manufacturer of the bags informing them of my idea and asking if they were fireproof. The response was they're not flameproof but she sent me 2 packs to play with (but not experiment with flames!)- one pack of the 300 use (2 pockets) and one pack of the 100 use (2 pockets). Brilliant!

Many thanks to Caroline at planit products
http://www.planitproducts.co.uk/?uid=E96F5943FC7BD9DCEDF7BE5B7D9B821D

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Thats fantastic, proof that there are still some companies out there who are interested in the customers and not just their money

Gagnrad

Forager
Jul 2, 2010
South East
So I guess the point of these is that the filling in the sandwich heats through because the plastic protects the bread from the radiant heat to some extent. With a grill rather than a toaster you'd just move the food further from the grill: you can't do that with a toaster. Also, I guess the bag is necessary, because the filling would fall out in a toaster—because in a toaster, the heat comes from the sides, so the sandwich must be stood up.

But with an open heat source, a fire—or rather embers—your heat source is horizontal like a grill not vertical like a toaster. The sandwich should really be parallel to the heat source. I wouldn't fancy heating food in plastic myself, even supposedly food-safe plastic, but that the pockets would orientate the food at 90° to the heat source seems a disadvantage of the pockets. Better a frame that can hold it parallel to the heat:

http://www.divertimenti.co.uk/Cookware/Griddles_and_grill_pans/Crostini-grill-25x25-cm.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE