Toaster Pockets - fireproof?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
So I guess the point of these is that the filling in the sandwich heats through because the plastic protects the bread from the radiant heat to some extent. With a grill rather than a toaster you'd just move the food further from the grill: you can't do that with a toaster. Also, I guess the bag is necessary, because the filling would fall out in a toaster—because in a toaster, the heat comes from the sides, so the sandwich must be stood up.

But with an open heat source, a fire—or rather embers—your heat source is horizontal like a grill not vertical like a toaster. The sandwich should really be parallel to the heat source. I wouldn't fancy heating food in plastic myself, even supposedly food-safe plastic, but that the pockets would orientate the food at 90° to the heat source seems a disadvantage of the pockets. Better a frame that can hold it parallel to the heat:

http://www.divertimenti.co.uk/Cookware/Griddles_and_grill_pans/Crostini-grill-25x25-cm.html

Apparently they're not plastic, they're teflon and fiberglass.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Ohhh, how interesting- I bet some careful fire moving would provide just the right heat if the ash and embers were mixed enough to give a non burning temp and keep it upright enough to not empty or swallow too much ash :) Gotta be good to save all those yards of tin foil!

£1 each as a pack of 2 off fleabay- and if I try and get success, I WILL post :) Rough Close in 8 days so we'll get our heads together over the fire then, I should think there'll be plenty of willing samplers for all but the most charred outcomes :)

Last edited:
Isn't the other name for fibreglass GRP or glass-reinforced plastic? :p

this is a plastic (PTFE) with glass fiber reinforcing in it

GRP usually assoiated with a resin usually Polyester or Epoxy (still a plastic) that sets hard

FRN as used on knife scales is and other version Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon ( a plastic )

pretty sure theres a sheet of the same stuff in the bottom of the oven to give an easy clean oven ;)

ATB

Duncan

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Ohhh, how interesting- I bet some careful fire moving would provide just the right heat if the ash and embers were mixed enough to give a non burning temp and keep it upright enough to not empty or swallow too much ash :)
why not suspend it on a stick BETWEEN 2 small fires ?
I'm sure I've seen a photo on here somewhere of a leg of lamb cooking that way.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE