To wear camo or not...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
watched a clip on you tube and was mentioned to steer clear from wearing it ???

Have to say that the only YouTube vids I've seen mentioning this are the doosday zombie apocalypse prepper type ones where they think that wearing camo might be a bad idea because they will be arrested/shot/kidnapped by black helicopter flying UN stormtroopers .... at least that's what I think they were saying, it was kind of hard to concentrate whilst laughing so hard!

Paul72

Nomad
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Ireland
Does Ray wear cammo? Ooh what about Bear too? I like Les Stroud, what knife does he use?

Who's the bloke on the right?
camo.jpg

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Interesting point about someone not seeing purple. Really dark colours or black act as it were as a light sink that draws the eye. Terry Pratchett makes this point in several of his books that deep black is actually quite noticeable at night whereas grey or even perhaps red is far harder to see. Readers of tales of Robin Hood will notice that he wears Lincoln Green or Russet Red either of which could have acted as camouflage in the Greenwood.

I like my Realtree jacket and trousers but feel awkward wearing both in town,oddly just the jacket feels OK (with other trousers of course).

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Interesting point about someone not seeing purple. Really dark colours or black act as it were as a light sink that draws the eye. Terry Pratchett makes this point in several of his books that deep black is actually quite noticeable at night whereas grey or even perhaps red is far harder to see. Readers of tales of Robin Hood will notice that he wears Lincoln Green or Russet Red either of which could have acted as camouflage in the Greenwood.

I like my Realtree jacket and trousers but feel awkward wearing both in town,oddly just the jacket feels OK (with other trousers of course).

"Lincoln Green" was originaly not green at all bt Lincoln "Graine" a costly Scarlet dye ....

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Well i'm going commando right now!
da C.

I like going nuddy round the house (when alone of course, or if the wife's there) very liberating it is too. Without sounding like we are in a chat room, I've just had a nice bath and am only wearing my Y fronts as I type this, best get changed though, need to go out for some bacon.

Totally off topic too, Patrick Macnee who is a favourite actor of mine (I love the Avengers...Emma Peel...leather suits etc) is still an avid nudist and was playing nude tennis well into his 70s.

Last edited:

Paul72

Nomad
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Ireland
I like going nuddy round the house (when alone of course, or if the wife's there) very liberating it is too. Without sounding like we are in a chat room, I've just had a nice bath and am only wearing my Y fronts as I type this, best get changed though, need to go out for some bacon.

Totally off topic too, Patrick Macnee who is a favourite actor of mine (I love the Avengers...Emma Peel...leather suits etc) is still an avid nudist and was playing nude tennis well into his 70s.

I've got horrible images in my head now.....!!!:(

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
"Lincoln Green" was originaly not green at all bt Lincoln "Graine" a costly Scarlet dye ....
Green cloth was made in Lincoln and was called Lincoln Green in the 15th century. Graine may mean scarlet but also can describe a quality of the cloth rather than the colour.

If all in scarlet, a very expensive cloth, why then would the ballads distinguish the times when Robin was wearing Scarlet as opposed to the Libcoln green of his men?

Green was the accepted colour for Foresters and would obviously have been the appropriate colour for their outlaw opponents.

Chaucer describes a Forester in his Prologue, please note the colour of the coat and hood.

101: A yeman hadde he and servantz namo
102: At that tyme, for hym liste ride so,
103: And he was clad in cote and hood of grene.
104: A sheef of pecok arwes, bright and kene,
105: Under his belt he bar ful thriftily,
106: (wel koude he dresse his takel yemanly:
107: His arwes drouped noght with fetheres lowe)
108: And in his hand he baar a myghty bowe.
109: A not heed hadde he, with a broun visage.
110: Of wodecraft wel koude he al the usage.
111: Upon his arm he baar a gay bracer,
112: And by his syde a swerd and a bokeler,
113: And on that oother syde a gay daggere
114: Harneised wel and sharp as point of spere;
115: A cristopher on his brest of silver sheene.
116: An horn he bar, the bawdryk was of grene;
117: A forster was he, soothly, as I gesse.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
As peacock fletched arrows are mentioned in the Chaucer extract it might be interesting to go off topic to point out that the feathers referred to are not the showy mating feathers of the peacock but the red ones beneath them which are good for arrow fletching. I shoot an arrow with these and it flies well. Could do with some more if anybody has a supply please.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
My ex step son was a metalhead and he called his cut off combats 'jams', as in jamming pants which he wore when annoying the hell out of me and my ex with his ideas of starting a band.

Not that I am against heavy metal, I'm not as I am a fan of MDB, Opeth and Haggard, but I am against music, any music being murdered by pillocks over and over again in a two bedroomed second floor flat.

Ha ha, when I first read that I thought it said 'my ex step son was a methhead'.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Green cloth was made in Lincoln and was called Lincoln Green in the 15th century. Graine may mean scarlet but also can describe a quality of the cloth rather than the colour.

If all in scarlet, a very expensive cloth, why then would the ballads distinguish the times when Robin was wearing Scarlet as opposed to the Libcoln green of his men?

Green was the accepted colour for Foresters and would obviously have been the appropriate colour for their outlaw opponents.

Chaucer describes a Forester in his Prologue, please note the colour of the coat and hood.

101: A yeman hadde he and servantz namo
102: At that tyme, for hym liste ride so,
103: And he was clad in cote and hood of grene.
104: A sheef of pecok arwes, bright and kene,
105: Under his belt he bar ful thriftily,
106: (wel koude he dresse his takel yemanly:
107: His arwes drouped noght with fetheres lowe)
108: And in his hand he baar a myghty bowe.
109: A not heed hadde he, with a broun visage.
110: Of wodecraft wel koude he al the usage.
111: Upon his arm he baar a gay bracer,
112: And by his syde a swerd and a bokeler,
113: And on that oother syde a gay daggere
114: Harneised wel and sharp as point of spere;
115: A cristopher on his brest of silver sheene.
116: An horn he bar, the bawdryk was of grene;
117: A forster was he, soothly, as I gesse.

One theory of the origins of the Robin Hood Ballads is that it was the Dyers, Weavers etc guilds "talking up" how good they were compared to the Nobility... and nothing to do with actual historical outlaws or foresters etc
The Super Hero stories of the day :)
True - a Green fabric was made in Lincoln (woad blue overdyed with yellow to produce and Olive shade) but even this was expensive compared to the grey (also good camo) also produced in the town ... why not have your hero wearing the best that the town could provide while the dumb Norman aristos were getting their botties kicked by said dashing hero?
The etymology I read of "Lincoln Green" (while I studied Fashion Design - many years ago) clearly linked the colour with Scarlet but I cannot recall the source material.
Still - it wernt no DPM! :)
Chaucers Forester is obviously putting on a bit of "flash" with all his gear too :)

Surv:vor

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 14, 2012
England
Yep, up here cammo is just what a lot of folk wear day in, day out for years,be they ex military or not.
it's just the walkabout gear of the common man.

That pretty much sums up my feelings on this. Some of the things I wear and use are camo and some are not. I choose what suits my needs and my pocket, at the time.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I like going nuddy round the house (when alone of course, or if the wife's there) very liberating it is too. Without sounding like we are in a chat room, I've just had a nice bath and am only wearing my Y fronts as I type this, best get changed though, need to go out for some bacon....

If you're brave, go get the bacon dressed that way.

But if you're REALLY brave, fry the bacon dressed that way!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE