Tipi and not Teepee

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Started with the tripod. North, south and Door pole (door traditionally to the East)

DSCF4616copy.jpg

Then filled in with the remaining poles

DSCF4620copy.jpg

Tomorrow the canvas will be stitched and fitted, but today we played a little :D

DSCF4627copy.jpg

Ernest Thompson Seton eat yout heart out :D

DSCF4628copy.jpg

Wellsy also managed fire by bowdrill for the first time....

DSCF4625copy.jpg

To be continued...

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
...Wellsy produced something more servicable than my oaken needle
DSCF4639copy.jpg

Guess which one we used :D
DSCF4640copy.jpg

Then the day got off to a good start ;)
DSCF4642copy.jpg

Anyway we started stitching the canvas, and after a while I lost interest and produced an arrow. Hazel, fire hardened with pigeon fletch
DSCF4647copy.jpg

DSCF4649copy.jpg

So...having stitched together a few canvas tents, we threw it over the frame, and this is where we are...
DSCF4653copy.jpg

Then we played a little more :D
DSCF4650copy.jpg

We have a few more feet to add, but we are pretty much there.
DSCF4660copy.jpg

Some woodcraft folks moved in before we'd finished ;)
DSCF4657copy.jpg

Some more stitching to do on wednesday, but on the way home how's this for a sunset
DSCF4665copy.jpg

and shooting the moon
DSCF4673copy.jpg

to be continued.....

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Awesome pictures mate. Looks like a blummin good job to me, iv'e always admired your bows as well.
That is one lucky bunch of kids ( even the big ones :D )
:You_Rock_

Bhold

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2005
Lancaster
Cheers, Stovie, great project!
I sure miss my scouting days as a leader in Brazil.
Just some usefull information on the white horse: it may be relate to the constellation of Sagittarius.
Take a look at http://www.hows.org.uk/personal/hillfigs/
under Star Connections.
It can be nice to let the kids know that they are sleeping under constellations!

Luciano

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Spent four productive, if somewhat repetetive hours, last night, stitching the remaining sections of canvas and producing the smoke flaps. Also managed to make a start on the pegs to hold the front edges of canvas together...

DSCF4675copy.jpg

Hopefully this weekend will see it finished and in place.....

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Just looking back at your earlier photos there stovie, and I think you've got another few hours of repetitive work ahead of you - your poles could really use being smoothed down from what I can see. They need to be really quite smooth for two reasons: (1) to avoid snagging your canvas; (2) to prevent any drips coming off them.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Fair comment Dunc, and you are right. What I've planned to do is get the whole thing servicable for the weekend of 25th Nov, when the scouts are bushcrafting for the weekend, and then over the following months I will attack things like the poles, and create a dew curtain and consider the outside decoration.

When I started this I only ever imagined throwing a few old canvases over the poles to give a bit of shelter if the weather should be horrendous, but as with everything I do, it's kinda become all consuming, and now I want to get it right....but that is going to take a little more time :D

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
If you've got a few helpers with decently sharp tools it's not a huge amount of work, and it's well worth doing as soon as you can. It would be a real pain to ruin all that stiching, and having water dripping inside the tipi really spoils the effect...

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
stovie said:
You should adjust your flaps, then, young man :D

Yes, old canvas tents...and odd colours, so the whole will have to be painted at some stage....thought I'd use the Uffington Horse as a design motif...

tipi6.jpg

How about adding an archer (something cave painting like?)
I think it would suite you sir ;) seriously nice project
chris

PS can I join you scout group ???i'm a bit old but look good in silly hats :rolleyes:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
swyn said:
Big smile on my face here. Thanks for the pics Stovie.
ATB from Swyn.

Glad you approve, Swyn. I must admit, it's great fun.
Not able to get much done this weekend, other business to attend to (household chores etc) and Remembrance service tomorrow....

But might just be able to set the canvas on the poles tomorrow afternoon to see how it fits after adding the final length on wednesday.

I've gone for the seperate smoke flap design....

No matter what, come the 25th Nov. it'll be in use.....

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
chrisanson said:
How about adding an archer (something cave painting like?)
I think it would suite you sir ;) seriously nice project
chris

It's a distinct possibility. Have one or two ideas in mind...not least being, waiting 'till spring when it's a bit drier and warmer :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE