Tiny Water filter Initial impression/review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Ok, I wanted a small easily portable water filter system for my Belt order that would hopefully fit in the mess pouch of a Maxpedition water bottle. Well this is what I got....

It filters to 1 micron according to the data sheet by means of a ceramic filter filled with NMC's. I had to look up NMC as had no idea and this exert should explain:-

Nano-metal clusters media (Nano-KDF) is a novel water purification media which made from millions of nano-metal clusters on porous inorganic material, and its specific surface and prosity is more 100 times than KDF media's. Nano-KDF formed in innumerous micro primary cells has a very strong redox (reduction-oxidation) ability to reduce the heavy metal ions of Pb2+, Cd2+, Cr6+, As3+, residual chlorine into insoluble metal and Cl-, and to oxidize organics in water into harmless components. The growth and breeding of bacteria and virus are inhibited and eliminated because of shifting of oxidation/reduction potential. Nano-KDF is a very high efficient water purification media over activated carbon and KDF.

Characteristics:
· Highly efficently removes residual chlorine and disinfection by-product.
· Efficiently removes soluble heavy metal ions in water such as Pb2+, Cd2+, Cr6+, As3+, etc.
· Decreasing the concentration of organic pollutants and F-, Hg+, NH3, NO2- in water.
· Micro-organisms growth and reproduction can be inhibited and eliminated.

Ok, so far so good. sounds like it should work! Anyhow as to function. Its a simple pump action much like a bicycle track pump, only much smaller. Works Ok but due to the very small size it takes a fair amount of effort, about 3-4 minute per litre to be honest. So definately a one person unit. Tested on water from my water butt otside and came out very clear after the initial flush as recommended in instructions. Not having access to a lab I cannot test further to see about how well it removed bacteria...

Overall I like it. Easy to use and field stripable as shown in photo above with one still in box. Best of all it fits in Maxpedition water bottle side pocket along with Milbank bag!!! Well happy with that fact. Will still get a larger MSR filter for family use though due to slowness of doing litre plus amounts.

Pros.
Very compact.
Easy to clean
1 micron filtration

Cons
Very small size means alot of pumping and cleaning needed
Not a known make

Will test more during the year as now in my kit for good.

Cost $50rrp (US) and no-one stocks in the UK, only US and Australia seem to have any. I Imported three as P&P was more reasonable that way so have a couple up for grabs if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• IMG_1810.jpg
    IMG_1810.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1813.jpg
    IMG_1813.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 23

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE