Tinned butter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
I never new proper butter was available in canned form! Must look that up. Meanwhile;
I've hade success using dried milk to make it into passable butter for my morning crackers.
I bring Ghee for frying in when on longer trips. The "pure butter" kind, not the fouls stuff that smells a bit off.
I usually also bring single dried milk (nestlé full fat) in small "single serving" freezer bags, for making a pint of milk every morning.
Just leave maybe a spoonful of milk powder in the bag, a few drops of water in, then a gob of ghee. Close bag and massage with fingers, and out comes butter. I've never tried adding salt, buth that would probably improve the taste further.

hardy

Sep 15, 2015
cheshire
I have been trying to find butter in the UK for quite some time now and cant wait until I get to order some. I've tried the canned cheese and I got to say its awesome on crackers when hiking and good on pasta too.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Would it be possible to make butter from yoghurt? Local health food shop has a system where a powder added to water then added to water and placed in a special insulated flask with a hot water jacket that overnight turns it into yoghurt. Can be plain or fruit flavoured. I've tasted it and great eaten as is or instead of milk on cereal and the likes. Just wonder if you could process it into butter?
Fats are pretty important when you're hungry and you can end up craving them. I know that pate and cheese were sought after heavily when away on longer trips as the body craved fat. Not to everyones taste but some mayonase can be used instead of butter for spreading on sarnies. It's also an egg substitute in a lot of dishes where fresh eggs are hard to obtain. One tablespoon takes the place of one egg in cakes and breads for instance.
Personally for trips I used to put butter or ghee in to those refillable squeeze tubes. Not so handy for hoarding larger amounts at home though which is what I assume the OP wants?

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

hardy

Sep 15, 2015
cheshire
It would be nice if they had a phone number, it would have saved me sending an email - on another note I've bought 3 items and haven't had any problems yet. Expect they are a small set-up . 1 upgrade from flea bay ? lol

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Depends on how big an operation they are. A one man band can't always be tied to a phone and email makes it easier to keep track of things. A number with an answer machine would be a good idea though. Phone orders do tie up a lot of time though speaking from personal experience though, but good customer service does shine through with personal contact.

hardy

Sep 15, 2015
cheshire
Depends on how big an operation they are. A one man band can't always be tied to a phone and email makes it easier to keep track of things. A number with an answer machine would be a good idea though. Phone orders do tie up a lot of time though speaking from personal experience though, but good customer service does shine through with personal contact.

Totally agree with you, They look small but I wish them well as long as the Butter comes available :lmao:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

It's not a discretionary matter Colin, its a legal requirement. This from World Pays website as it nicely succinct. I can link to the relevant legislation if it helps anyone

03:00 PM | Updated 21/03/2013 03:00 PM
What contact details do I need to display on my website?

These details should include:
1. Your company's registration name
2. Your company's place of registration, for example registered in England
3. Your company's registered office address
4. Your company's registered number
5. A contact telephone number
6. An email address

For Sole Trader or Partnership Companies, these details should include:

1. Your postal address
2. Your contact telephone number
3. An email address.
Please Note: You must clearly display your contact details to your shoppers. This is a legal requirement as well as a requirement of WorldPay. A new regulation by the Department of Trade and Industry requires that ecommerce businesses also display their main country of domicile.

hardy

Sep 15, 2015
cheshire
Christ not going to recommend anything again ! p.s DTI doesn't exist any more its now Department for Innovations and the email is a contact detail. Also wordplay don't make laws. Please don't bother linking any legislation as its not my shop so I couldn't care less I just wanted to tell people they sell canned butter.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Grateful that you did. Its also wise that people are cautious with untraceable website owners. I provided the information so that people can make their own minds up - plenty on here have been let down by dodgy traders.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Would it be possible to make butter from yoghurt? Local health food shop has a system where a powder added to water then added to water and placed in a special insulated flask with a hot water jacket that overnight turns it into yoghurt. Can be plain or fruit flavoured. I've tasted it and great eaten as is or instead of milk on cereal and the likes. Just wonder if you could process it into butter?
Fats are pretty important when you're hungry and you can end up craving them. I know that pate and cheese were sought after heavily when away on longer trips as the body craved fat. Not to everyones taste but some mayonase can be used instead of butter for spreading on sarnies. It's also an egg substitute in a lot of dishes where fresh eggs are hard to obtain. One tablespoon takes the place of one egg in cakes and breads for instance.
Personally for trips I used to put butter or ghee in to those refillable squeeze tubes. Not so handy for hoarding larger amounts at home though which is what I assume the OP wants?

These are pretty good for cooking and on baked spuds etc
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Butter-Bu...Gluten-Free-/121649851193?hash=item1c52e56b39

You can get powdered cheese and peanut butter from the States but its pricey. I've tried them in the past and they are OK.

hardy

Sep 15, 2015
cheshire
Rik ref postage

when I bought the cheese I paid £2.95 shipping and that was for 1 kilo parcel (bought 5 cans). if you just bought 1 can it would be very dear per can.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Interested in cheese and butter.... would like to know if they are ok. Saying that, 2kg can of ghee in morrisons is around £6.50 (iirc, might be £8, on offer), so much cheaper than on there per kg.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE