Tinned butter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Brum wins :)

Eds, my misses is a Mental Health Nurse, and I'm afraid she says you "have gone to Egypt" or as it better known, you are in de-nile :lmao:

I'll settle for Bradford coming a close second, its the Manchester lads who still insist that their city is the best, poor fools that the are, that concern me:(

When I first moved to the Valleys back in 89, the curry served up was slops, I remember ordering naan and the guy gave me a deep fried pitta bread, the process of improvement has been painstakingly slow, and its still very hit and miss in Aberdare and yet some of the locals rave about it, I guess it depends on what your used to :)

Cardiff, thats a different matter, there are some good curry houses there

Mar 13, 2008
Forest of Bowland
Having toured the country and eaten a curry in pretty much every major city of the UK I'd have to say Bradford wins for curry in the UK.

Followed by Leicester, then Manchester and then Birmingham.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Having toured the country and eaten a curry in pretty much every major city of the UK I'd have to say Bradford wins for curry in the UK.

Followed by Leicester, then Manchester and then Birmingham.

I'd have to say your completely wrong but it matters not in the scheme of things.

Back to butter, I've email the Ballentyne company to ask if there are any UK sellers :)

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Rik, your love of MRMRBP (mechanically recovered meat related by products) and trans fatty acids is admirable. what is your view of ranchers microwavable burgers, fray bentos pies and heinz tinned puddings?

It would appear that there is no one in the UK importing or producing tinned butter.. The Red Feather brand from New Zealand looks good and is selling like hotcakes in the USA, surely someone's missing a trick here... If it is possible to get a shipment for a reasonable price who would be interested in a group purchase.

We're talking butter folks, not Curry.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
As I write this I'm eating an out of date can of Kraft Processed Cheddar Cheese. A bit rubbery and salty, not bad though.
www.internet-grocer.net/krftches.gif

In ancient times in Ireland butter was preserved by burying it in peat bogs. People still find the stuff every now and then. The oxygen-less and acidic conditions stop it from going rancid. A few brave souls have sampled it and said it tasted foul but they lived to tell the tale.
I guess you could make your own preserved butter by filling one of those resealable glass jars that are used for jams and pickles. Heat it up, but not enough to burn the milk solids and then seal the jar. The salty butter should have a pretty good shelf life. Isn't butter used as a preservative and air-tight seal for pates and potted shrimp?

Happy trails...torc.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You have to be very careful canning butter - America for example does not reccomend it (and they can far more than we do). It can be done (indeed I have a pictorial of me doing it and have eaten the butter more than 12 months after canning with no refrigeration) but getting it wrong can lead to botulism. Thats a mistake you get to make only once!

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Anyone know of a supplier for tinned butter in the UK?

Rik,

Not exactly in the UK but they deliver TO the UK from inside the EU. Any size order for less than 10 euros delivery

http://shop.conserva.de/epages/es116266.sf/en_GB/?

Also tinned cheese, cake and bread (of all things)

Hope that helps people interested in such things (the butter also comes with a clip on lid for re-use. No refrigeration needed - handy for car camping or canoe camping methinks)

Red

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Cheers Red

need to build up some cash in my paypal slush fund, once done an order will go in:)

In the meantime, I'm setting off for an overnight camping trip to reproof a couple of cotton tents IF it stops raining that is (still camping though)

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Stop posting please, my credit card is getting twitchy, here is a whole new world of legitimate research, or money wasting, depending if you are me or my wife.........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE