Tinder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Hello I have found two ways you can get good tinder.
1.Try the labels from your cloths some of them like nylon fabric fire with my firesteel burning after like petroleum, first is good to scrape the label with your knife to get light fibers.
I notice you that some fabrics are treated to avoid burning so you must try to know.
2.With the back (if sharp) of your knife you can obtain light shaves from wood that catch fire very easy with your firesteel.

Enjoy

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
you shave your jeans or any cotton clothes to get a tiny pile of very fine fluff that'll work from tiny tiny sparks.

cheers, and.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I found some cramp ball fungi this week and broke one off to see if it would easily take the spark. The results were exellent. the crampball started to glow with the first spark, I then put it down while i went to find some birch bark, on returning after 20 minutes or so it was still glowing nicely. I then walked it about half a mile to my fire site the resultng ember was now glowing over an area of about 3/4 of a square inch. this is truly good tinder and grows prolifically on most ashes(fraxinus exelsior) in hampshire if not the whole country!it works well,its common and its free!

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Nice one Bob, I think that frozen chappy Ouetzi, was carrying a Birchbark tube, loosely stuffed with moss, used for transporting that glowing ember Long distances. I've picked up a couple tubes. but busted em before getting it together.
As for tumble drier fluff. It doesn't work and it stinks!!! Our fluff contains alot of nylon fibres (from me Y fronts) an dog hair (not from my Y fronts), so it wouldn't light and stank of smoldering hair! Yuk. So i guess you have to harvest it after a cotton wash. :wink:
Rich

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
mate of mine has just got back from scotland and given me a carrier bag of fomes fomentarius :-D

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
A great homemade fire lighter can be made by packing some wood shavings (we all got loads of 'em I'm sure!) into the compartments of a cardboard egg carton then pouring melted candle wax over and allowing to set. About a 1/3 or a 1/4 of one compartment is plenty to get a fire going. Burns for ages and great in the rain. I usually light one off a cotton ball thats taken a spark. I also use cotton balls rubbed in vaseline from the small lip treatment tin. These take a spark on their own.

Further info on www.outdoors-magazine.com

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i have heard it said that every batch of dryer lint has to be tested for tinder effectiveness.

according to those in the know, belly button fluff is the preferred tinder of chairborne commandos :lol:

cheers, and.

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
I normally use whatever I have stuffed my pockets with throughout the day, and since I got my windproof lighter I can burn just about everyhting! :twisted:

At home the logs we get come from a variety of trees, and every evening, as I'm sitting by the fire chopping away, any birch ones I come across, I peel the whole thing in big strips, dry the bark, and stuff it away.
It will go easily with a touch of flame, and burns evenly for ages, and if dryed slowly tends to not curl too badly.
I light all the fires in the house, the BBQ, the bonfire, The kettle, and everything else with it!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Roving Rich said:
Nice one Bob, I think that frozen chappy Ouetzi, was carrying a Birchbark tube, loosely stuffed with moss, used for transporting that glowing ember Long distances. I've picked up a couple tubes. but busted em before getting it together.
As for tumble drier fluff. It doesn't work and it stinks!!! Our fluff contains alot of nylon fibres (from me Y fronts) an dog hair (not from my Y fronts), so it wouldn't light and stank of smoldering hair! Yuk. So i guess you have to harvest it after a cotton wash. :wink:
Rich

Yup cottons only (forgot to mention that) Nylon & dog hair........Now that's nasty hahah :lol:

P

Pathos

anyone tried the padding that you get in Jiffy bags? I had a bag in the post today which looked very fibrous and easily lit. I'll give it a try soon

Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE