Tinder Fungus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Hi everyone, can anyone help with this. I've been scouring woodland around the Northwest for ages looking for Hoof Fungus or King Alfred Cakes but to no avail. Does it only grow in certain parts of the uk or at certain times of the year or where can I find it.
Thanks

Last edited:

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I live in the northwest, there is plenty king alfreds cakes (crampballs) Normally on dead ash trees i think. Once you find a tree with them you often find loads so its just a matter of finding the right tree, you can then keep coming back to it.
Cant help with the hoof fungus ive never found one myself, they might just be in scotland

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You need to find Beech or Birch really for the Hoof fungus and like firecrest said dead ash are best for crampballs.

They`re out now and will be for a while yet so don`t give up looking.

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
hi gray you will normally find cramp balls in an old wood thats been there for hundereds of years as long as there are ash trees thare look for fallen down trees and you will find them under the tree on the trunk..regards rob

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I know of a horses hoof bearing tree on Wharnecliffe Crags. The Ratbag saw it earlier this year, they are still there and it was confirmed as being HH fungus by Addo who has come across them in his work. We got one down on our last trip up there, alas it has minimal trama layer and so I think it's probably not worth the effort of processing it any more.

firestarter31

Jan 19, 2008
bromyard
I have found iterally thousands of cramp balls in and around hereford , unfoutunatly i have never found a Horse hoof fungus , i have searched all over targeting older birch tress ,always birch polymor never the HH. Is HH restricetd to certain areas?

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
cramp balls only grow on dead ash wood
tap them, the hollow sounding ones are the ones you can use as they are dead and dry and will take a spark.
hope this helps

pete

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Try looking on dead ash trees for crampballs,they grow all year round over most of the UK.I find them better than horses hoof,especially with a traditional flint striker

R Doull

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2006
Scotland
if you want a HH let me know.. I have a few sitting around just waiting for me to process (not likely to be for a while yet.. ) I'll gladly send one down to you just give me a PM and we'll sort it out..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE