Time to loose a bit of weight.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Anyone here love their food and always got an apetite, perhaps the grilled saussage and bacon on the fire is too much to pass ?
Yes I am a food lover and need to shed about 3 stone, have lost 1 already but have cut back severely on my intake and finding it hard some days, esp the weekends.
So are you one like me and how are you going about it ?

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I have the same problem mate ,,,,

Im going for it at present so im in a better shape for a trip in Jan ,

For me the main thing is portion control and no between meal snacks also have a weeks meals planned and in the house that stops the need for the Friday kabab :)

I weigh in every two weeks and expect to lose two pound a week that works as its a long drag ,

If I do lose it and have something like said kabab get over it and get back to the diat there no quick fix .

Twodogs

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Nowt wrong with a weekly indulgence, you need some fat or your body will store its own supply. My trouble is real ale and late evening meals. I could do with down sizing my keg :p
Good luck with your efforts :thumbup:
Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I struggle too. I find having a goal to work towards always works for me. As twodogs says, planning an exped can be a great focus and give you the incentive you need.

Ive stopped having cooked breakfasts at home and only have them as a treat now and then. I usually find that if i control carbs, cut down the alcohol intake and move myself more it soon starts to come off.

Ive lost a stone over the summer which im pretty happy with. Slow and steady wins the race. Dont be put off by bad weeks. Like Cliff, i also find that planning meals is key to success. If you forget to take something out of the freezer for tea its all too easy to pick up the phone and order a lard fest.

Right im off to buy some new boots to put this theory into practice. :D

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
the basic maxim of eat less, move more still applies, however the latest thinking is that the modern (western) junk food diet is largely responsible for our obesity epidemic (apparently activity levels are broadly similar to how they've been in the past, which gobsmacked me cos I'm far lazier now than I was 20 yrs ago). Try to avoid refined sugar, this is increasingly being linked to obesity and weight gain. Eat as high a quality diet as you can, avoid processed foods. lots of veges and good quality meat. Lastly, and this really pains me cos I love it, try to limit the intake of beer. Personally I've cut down to only drinking during the hours I'm awake, but I think I may need to revise this further.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Exercise Gentlemen as well ! It does not need to be Olympic, but consistency is good !A good way is to kick start the metabolism twice a day as ours will be slowing down a fair bit early morning is good ,and around teatime .You can do a brisk walk , exercise bike ,swim ,treadmill anything at all to get the heart and lungs going for about 20 mins each time .

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Try and cut down on bread as well. I know a few people who have cut right down on bread and lost a stone or more. Try some of the pre-made soups in the chiller aisle in supermarkets (or even better, make your own). For example these skinny soups - less than 100 kcals per 1/2 pot and it fills you up and cuts back that food craving.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
For me, its a case of recording everything you eat per day.

i.e.
fruit & fibre
cup of tea, milk x2 sugars
tuna salad
baked potato with cheese & butter
chicken breast
cheese salad
small portion of ice cream

then calculate the calories that day has consumed.

If you've over consumed you know you need to re-juggle your meals, if under your good. It also lets you see where the "big" calories are spent.

Beer and Bread are the worst for me......

I just had one of those fitness/health assessments at work and not great, even though I don't look overweight my upper Body fat of 33% puts me as obese! :eek: As for the cholestoral well thats not great either, one too many fry ups I think.

However as pointed out by someone else exercise is the key but I have trouble staying motivated. I may do a few weeks of a programme and then kind of fall off track and that will be me. So when I come to do it next time I feel that since I didn't keep up with the last one I won't be able to with this one and then don't do it.

Anyone else have that trouble with motivation?

I would go to the gym but it is out of my way as I live in the middle of nowhere and I am not keen on running or cycling.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
I just had one of those fitness/health assessments at work and not great, even though I don't look overweight my upper Body fat of 33% puts me as obese! :eek: As for the cholestoral well thats not great either, one too many fry ups I think.

However as pointed out by someone else exercise is the key but I have trouble staying motivated. I may do a few weeks of a programme and then kind of fall off track and that will be me. So when I come to do it next time I feel that since I didn't keep up with the last one I won't be able to with this one and then don't do it.

Anyone else have that trouble with motivation?

I would go to the gym but it is out of my way as I live in the middle of nowhere and I am not keen on running or cycling.

Yes....

For me unless i actually enjoy the excersize it becomes a real chore.... Im pretty lucky though as i get a free gym pass with work, (the gym is 5 min walk away) and my work is very busy/stressful so im glad to get out from the office and spend my lunch hour at the gym, although i dont particularly enjoy it.

The other good thing i did was not to re-insure my car, this meant i had no other choice but to cycle to work everyday, 10 mile round trip. For a bit more posative thinking i calculated the fuel/tax/running/insurance costs, broke them down into daily figures and then told myself im being paid XX amount to cycle to work :)

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Try retirement. When I was working I had a sedentary job that left no time for exercise. And I've never been one for exercise without purpose like gyms and swimming pools. A lot of work time was in the car travelling the country, hotels and fast food, sitting in meeting or in front of a computer- you get the picture. The stress levels also led to too much booze and comfort eating, easy cook food as we were both tired after working all day.

Now I spend time snorkelling as I search for rare shells, walking in the hills or countryside foraging for wild food, tending my vegetable garden, baking my own bread and taking care and time over choice of food and cooking it, making and doing. And I have time for fun- four hours disco dancing last night with my wife of 50 years.

I'm leaner, lighter and fitter at 70 than I was at 50 when I had one of those work health checks.

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Don't cut down, just change.

A whopping plate of veg bulks you out - roast, steam, curry it...whatever just make it tastey. Plenty of fruit. Some lean meat, fish, chicken is fine - but dont use oil to cook it. Stay off white bread and dairy unless it is low fat, eat rice, pasta etc in moderation. Combine this with exercise every day and your weight will peel off, buddy.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Ive been on a eating frenzy of late,i just seem to have reached a crave point,used to have loads of will power but really finding it hard to stop eating(everything) chocolate,the kids left overs,bread before dinner,snacks at night, i exercise thank god 5 days a week about 2hrs a day,but even so ive put on a extra 11Lbs and i was already a stone over what i want to be,would love to find that will power again.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have been on a bit of a health kick recently. I have been doing 3/5 miles every other day on the bike first thing on a morning and twice a week going for a two mile walk with pack. Trying to loose weight and build stamina at the same time.

I have knocked off alcohol altogether and the kebabs are gone. Once again its down to portion control and regular eating times and nothing after 6pm other than liquids.

Damn its hard work but needs to be done.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If I can suggest something? Take notice of how you feel after a meal ( 30 mins-1/2hours ) , I tend to find If I eat Carb based food stuffs it sates my appetite or a moment then returns making me hungry again.
With protein based food stuffs ( clean ) I find I can eat less , feel far more sated for longer and don't crave the Carbs.

So Boiled Eggs and Mini baby belles have become a main stay for me. Maybe try it and see how you feel? Make a conscious effort to see which foods stave off appetite longest?

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
I cut wheat from my diet, and somehow lost weight without trying. I cut it or other reasons - I'm fairly certain I'm intolerant to it. I have much more energy, and less bloating/wind and other symptoms of my intolerance. Subsequently found ths website:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

I've not bought any of the books or anything, but his ideas ring a bell wih me. In a weird way, they fit in with bushcrafting too. Eat like a hunter gatherer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE