Time to eat my words....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Ok i have a confession to make, i have long been a fan for GB axes and have a small collection that i am hoping to expand on as time goes by.

For as long as i can remember i have been making derogatory comments about the GB mini hatchet as being too small to be of any real use, stating it is a pointless but of kit compared to the SFA, wildlife hatchet and the many and varied carving axes.

For reasons best know to my subconscious mind i had a bit of free cash recently and decided to buy one, i still dont know what prompted this, as a small and lightweight axe for short afternoon trips to the woods where i carry only a small ruscksack with minimal kit on the off chance i decide to do some carving.

Well.... i took it out this weekend and to say i was astonished is the understatment of the year. I knew it would be as sharp as my others but didnt hold out much hope for it doing any "proper" work so thought i would put it through some paces.
First of all i made a couple of feather sticks which it did brilliantly and was about all i though it would be good for.
Next i made a couple of wooden wedges and with them and the axe split a 6" round that was to be my latest Kuksa project with surprising ease.
Where this axe really came into its own was when i started rough shaping the blank i had made and i was again surprised at how much control it allowed and how versatile it was when it came to cutting curves and rounding edges etc...
I really did not expect this kind of performance from what i always considered a "diddy" axe and will likely be taking it with me on all my day trips in the future unless i very specifically need something for bigger work.

All in all i would highly recommend this axe to anyone looking for something lightweight to be used for carving, battening and lots of other general bushcrafty jobs to take the place of a larger axe and, in a lot of cases, a knife as well.

Please consider all previous words from me on this axe well and truly eaten.

Cheers, Hamster

Last edited:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
TBH, I'm always surprised when people talk about how useless the mini is when I have always found it so useful. It's a good little tool and I have used it to shape quite a few woodcraft projects and it makes a good wedge to baton for splitting and will cut saplings with ease. Best of all, it carries easily in a shoulder bag.

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
I love my GBmini to bits I have done a lot of hedge laying with it this winter. I like it so much I stoped taking my billhook. It really is a great tool light to carry and you can also use it as a knife. The only thing I didnt like was the price.

Mark

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I've had a GB mini for a few years now and I love it.... always thought of it as an 'instead of a knife' axe. Great tool for many jobs.

Ed

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I cant get on with the normal hatchet never mind the mini, but good on you for turning tail and telling us all about it.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'm a fan of the Mini, had one for years and often carry it instead of a knife, as has been said it's great for battening and iv'e gone through some quite hefty stuff with it before now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE