Tilley Lamp - Recommended?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TrickyT

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2009
UK
I am thinking of getting a Tilley lamp for use in the back garden when I have my fire going. Mainly to throw out some 'old fashioned light and heat' and to give soem background ambiance.

Are these recommended, or a PITA to put up with?

Or does anyone have a good alternative. I am looking for the old fashioned look rather that a modern rechargeable LED!

Regards

Trevor

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
They're magnificent.

Mrs L, on entering my garage during a tidy u spied my 2 tilleys hanging on the wall, and asked 'Why have you got 2 tilley lamps'

My reply of 'Because I haven't seen a third one I like yet' didn't go down well.

Spares readily available, the most comforting hiss, warmth, and light you can have. It's only really the priming that is the tricky bit.

EDIT and even that's not hard, you just need to be a bit patient.

The soldered joints need to be tight, everything else can be fixed easily.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
What nickliv said, except that you can fix the soldered joints too. :)

It's not like switching on a light. You do need to learn about them.

The heat they produce is quite substantial. You do of course have a pressurized container of fuel not far from a white hot mantle, so caution is required at all times.

There are various similar designs, some have a better reputation than others, it's probably worth talking to people here about them as well as the Tilley, quite a few have them. They don't all run on paraffin.

I have a Tilley and a slightly more modern Chinese 'Anchor' brand one which I like very much as well, I think a bit more than the Tilley.

They're cheap enough to try a few different ones. :)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Great kit. Old world, the aroma of paraffin, a wonderful mellow light and a comforting hiss. Nothing like it. But, rather than Tilley, look for Vapalux. They are widely regarded as superior in build quality, though can be expensive as they are very sought after by collectors. Fortunately, they are fairly plentiful as they were used by the British army until recently and many can be found as surplus.

I have 3, 2 of em are army surplus, one is the identical civillian model, justr painted in a different colour and they are all superb.

My 2 military lamps....

vapaluxm320_006.jpg

vapaluxm320_005.jpg

The civvi version....

bialaddin001.jpg

Really beautiful things and a pure joy to use.

BTW, dont discount hurricane lamps. The best are a German brand - Fuerhand. Great things, much cheaper than pressure lanterns and easier to use. They are not as bright, but are very good still and offer the same old world characteristics.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I prefer Vapalux/Bialaddin (same thing) but the Tilley go much cheaper on eBay and will do the job. Spares from base-camp.co.uk Even a rough looker will work and the tank is brass so will clean up well.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Yes go for Vapalux if you can. Tilleys can be variable and some disappointing. As has been said above, a quality hurricane lamp is also good and much cosier.

A quick coat of plastikote on a £1 hurricane lamp will give it years of life.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Great kit. Old world, the aroma of paraffin, a wonderful mellow light and a comforting hiss. Nothing like it. But, rather than Tilley, look for Vapalux. They are widely regarded as superior in build quality, though can be expensive as they are very sought after by collectors. Fortunately, they are fairly plentiful as they were used by the British army until recently and many can be found
I have 3, 2 of em are army surplus, one is the identical civillian model, justr painted in a different colour and they are all superb.

My 2 military lamps....

vapaluxm320_006.jpg

vapaluxm320_005.jpg

The civvi version....

bialaddin001.jpg

Really beautiful things and a pure joy to use.

BTW, dont discount hurricane lamps. The best are a German brand - Fuerhand. Great things, much cheaper than pressure lanterns and easier to use. They are not as bright, but are very good still and offer the same old world characteristics.

i have a Tilley that i,ve not used yet (needs a mantle ) but i can vouch for the German brand Fuerhand as well they are great value and easy to operate.

TrickyT

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2009
UK
Definitely sold on a lamp now. Either Tilley or Vapalux. Will have to see which one comes up first for a reasonable price.

Regards

Trevor

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Definitely sold on a lamp now. Either Tilley or Vapalux. Will have to see which one comes up first for a reasonable price.RegardsTrevor
I'd avoid a Tilley at all costs TBH. A Vapalux or Bialaddin (different brands from the same manufacturer) is a far better bet.If you're going to go for a Tilley then look for an older x246 'Guardsman' rather that the more current X246B
DSCF0076.jpg
CheersJohn

rancid badger

I am thinking of getting a Tilley lamp for use in the back garden when I have my fire going. Mainly to throw out some 'old fashioned light and heat' and to give soem background ambiance.

Are these recommended, or a PITA to put up with?

Or does anyone have a good alternative. I am looking for the old fashioned look rather that a modern rechargeable LED!

Regards

Trevor

AVOID Tilleys, they are frankly rubbish. How they have got away with producing such poor quality junk for so long ( and continue to do so) amazes me, they really are the "British Leyland" of the pressure lamp world. They are pig ugly too and the performance of Tilley's is typically poor/variable at best,as is the quality of the components.

The really amazing thing is; that as far as I'm aware, Tilley are still running!!! while Vapalux has died and has been sold off to the South Koreans!:confused:
The "Tilley lamp" is just another classic example of Jeremy Clarkson's "that'll do" British manufacturing, sad but true.:dunno:

The trouble is, that the "general public" are prone to calling any pressure lantern "a tilley lamp" for some inexplicable reason,which leads to folk continuing to buy the junk they turn out.

Buy a Vapalux M320 or if you want something a bit more nostalgic, a Bialaddin ( the Bialaddin would not be my first choice but is way ahead of any Tilley). You'll get a much better quality piece of kit at a reasonable price, which will chuck out loads of light ( apx 60 watts)_ and plenty of heat ( apx 1400 watts)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
About Bialaddin. This is a Bialaddin 320....

bialaddin001.jpg

The parts are all interchangeable with the Vapalux M320. It's the same lamp with some minor cosmetic differences, mainly the colour, the priming cup and the glass ...and it says Bialaddin not Vapalux on the pricker control knob.

A nice mod for the Vapalux M320 is to swap the priming cup with one from a Bialaddin 320 if you can find one. There is a hinged lifting arm which raises and lowers the cup, making filling the cup and lighting it much easier.

m320_002-1.jpg

m320_003-1.jpg

Last edited:

bayleaf

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2008
gloucestershire
Definitely sold on a lamp now. Either Tilley or Vapalux. Will have to see which one comes up first for a reasonable price.

Regards

Trevor

I found one for a song,in a junk shop.I then paid about £40 for a tilley service kit,and a few spares.Bingo! perfectly serviceable lamp.There are also a few websites detailing the history of the tilley lamp,and listing the serial numbers.Mine turned out to be from 1973.
Good hunting.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE