Tilley Lamp - Recommended?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Easier to light but Coleman lack aesthetic appeal, just not as nicely made really (says he who uses Coleman these days.....and Vapalux :) )

I have to agree, the metal coleman insist on using is very thin and rust prone. I see so many nice coleman lanterns where the bottom of the fuel tank has rusted out from being stored on a shelf in a shed, very sad and not something you see on the British stuff.

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
I have to agree, the metal coleman insist on using is very thin and rust prone. I see so many nice coleman lanterns where the bottom of the fuel tank has rusted out from being stored on a shelf in a shed, very sad and not something you see on the British stuff.

This is one of the big Coleman failings, but with time and persiverence it can be fixed. I have several of the older Colemans, both petrol (Aspen 4) and paraffin. I like the older red and green fonts the colour makes me smile when I see them. I also have loads of the new silver painted ones, not as nice to look at but they still do the job. I also havea Coleman Northstar which is the brightest lamp I've ever used but can be interesting to light, there is a trick to it though.

Si

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi

I've a Vapalux and a Bialaddin in the garage, I really ought to get them in to working condition and use them down in my greenhouse one day!!
Lanterns4.jpg

The red one needs parts, I bought it from the local bootsale a few weeks ago for next to nowt!! (can't actually remember what I paid for it now :confused:)

Cheers, John :)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Sometimes there is a sticker on them with the model on it? If you want a definite answer to what they are you could always ask over on the Classic Pressure Lamp Forum, someone there will know?

It looks like you need the glass with the in-turned bottom lip? I have only seen straight sided glass for sale new at Base-Camp but you also need the spun metal plate that sits on the lamp frame indents which holds the glass? Something else to ask if you go to the other forum?

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE