Ticks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
the little green hook removal tools from the vets do the job very easily. Avoid the tools that are a bit of plastic with wire at the end as these are a bit rubbish imho.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Permethrin on trouser cuffs, socks and anything else that you wear that brushes the bush, DEET on you. You could go for the trousers tucked into socks, or gaiters, but I have generally managed without. Check yourself when you get home. Change out of the clothes you were wearing. Light colours make ticks easier to spot marching around.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
i have never had the misfortune of having a tick on myself but know others who have and my dog has had several -

The tick combs are great and make it very easy to get rid of the little sh**s

Alternatively a bit of olive oil on the tick and tweezers or a very good pinch with ur nails.

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Permethrin on trouser cuffs, socks and anything else that you wear that brushes the bush,
Do you really feel this helps?
Most of the ticks I catch are on the thighs and arms from brushing against bushes and such.
Also permethrin is SO harmful to anything that lives in water that I wouldn´t use it even if it is legal.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I get these things all the time when i'm out and about, even had my leg went septic one time with them, nearly wound up in hospital, week off work was great though. Don't cover them with vaseline or burn them off this is apprently when you are at risk of being spat into from the tick, its the saliva in its mouth that has the lymes diease, Get one of those little tools, twist the tick out and check yourself after being out and about

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
This is a serious subject. I don't want to scare monger, but it's worth thinking about this as awareness is the best antidote.

You get ticks anywhere but especially in damp places and long grass/bracken. There's no real way of avoiding them unless you stay away from these areas. It does help if you cover up arms and use gaiters. Pesticides also seem work.

You must check yourself every evening (they like to fix themselves to warm places so look there as well). The longer they stay fixed to the body the more chance of transmitting a disease, the worst being lyme disease, which is very dibilitating. Lyme disease is not that common but it does occur.

Remove them by pulling them straight out with pointed tweezers or a tick removal tool. Do not use any other method or you might cause the tick to regurgiate the stomach contents and possibly any diseases in the stomach casued by feeding off other animals incl rats.

If you feel any flu like symtoms or see a bull's eye rash on your skin, go to the GP. A early course of anti-biotics will stop years of possible misery.

Hope this helps,

Pablo.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You must check yourself every evening (they like to fix themselves to warm places so look there as well). The longer they stay fixed to the body the more chance of transmitting a disease, the worst being lyme disease, which is very dibilitating. Lyme disease is not that common but it does occur.
If you feel any flu like symtoms or see a bull's eye rash on your skin, go to the GP. A early course of anti-biotics will stop years of possible misery.

I would disagree about lyme being the worst, I'd say TBE is worse, but not as widespread.
But full agreement on the early treatment, in particular lyme can be insidious (eternal flu that never gets better, very diffuse symptoms, make sure they test for it).

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I would disagree about lyme being the worst, I'd say TBE is worse, but not as widespread.
But full agreement on the early treatment, in particular lyme can be insidious (eternal flu that never gets better, very diffuse symptoms, make sure they test for it).

You make a good point about ensuring GP's test for tick born diseases.

TBE is not common in UK and you can get vaccinated against it if you're travelling abroad to central Europe.

http://www.tickalert.org/map.html

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
One of the guys from my shoot showed me a method of tick removal which I wish I'd known about in my forester days. Works equally well on animals and humans.

Don't think it'll work on the nymph stage as they are a little small. Firstly part any hair / fur from around the tick and with your forefinger or a small stick if you cant reach GENTLY rotate your finger abound its opisthosoma (abdomen) in an anti-clockwise direction. Think one rotaion per half a second. Usually takes about twelve twirls and the wee beastie just falls out whole :cool: no sicking up into you and mouthparts intact. I would then recomend terminating the little blighter with extreme prejudice :AR15firin
As I say take it slow and gentle with them as once they are startled they grip on like superglue.
Happy tick hunting.
Goatboy.

Green Deane

May 17, 2009
Florida
www.eattheweeds.com
Look into sublimed sulfur as a preventative. The state of Florida has been recommending it for many decades. It is a powder you can apply by putting in an old sock or the like and tamping it around cuffs and the like. Not to be used if you're allergic to sulfur. Apparently the ticks hop on you but don't like the sulfur and hop off, or so the theory goes.

Mar 8, 2009
Duluth, MN, USA
Hello all,

We get them by the dozen up here, especially our shaggy, low slung Collie. While most methods of removal seem to be effective, our favorite part is collecting them in a jar, and sending them to the tick afterlife on Friday night.

Tonight we made a small barge from a split of Cedar, and sent them off like Norsemen.

When I arrived in MN 12 years ago, I was deathly afraid of them. Now I understand that they are neither the fastest, nor the most intelligent of insects. We treat them with proper respect, and take our angst out on the ones we find.

Cheers,

Kevin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE