Ticks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
I have been out in the woods a lot in the last few weeks and thankfully have not picked up any ticks, i had a lot in the summer and early autumn (a few in a rather horrid place) i was wondering, do they lie dormant over the frosty winter period or have i justy been lucky?

Joezilla

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 26, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Ticks will forage at about 60F, during the winter time the larval stage overwinters in leaf litter.
Tick larvae actually only have 6 legs, even though they are an arachnid. When they molt into their adult stage the extra pair come out.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Are these things on the increase? in 20yrs of being out and about id never had any on me,then 2yrs ago in the lakes i got two in a couple of hours,bloody murder to get them off,
also had one on me whilst in the Orkneys, it had found its way up to my eye lid before i noticed it,lucky managed to get it off before it started to feed,have to admit since then they are always in the back of my mind when im out, unless of course ive had to much Rum then i tend to forget about them!

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Ticks will forage at about 60F, during the winter time the larval stage overwinters in leaf litter.
Tick larvae actually only have 6 legs, even though they are an arachnid. When they molt into their adult stage the extra pair come out.

I think your ticks are bit soft over there Joezilla ;) we're lucky if it get's to 60F (15C) in the average Scottish summer :lmao:

Not had a problem with them in recent years though am very conscious of them being about and maybe that's why. People I've been out with have had them, usually from brushing undergrowth on narrow paths or during comfort breaks etc.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
The risk of ticks is hugely exaggerated.

For more info, try this website:
http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/ticks.htm

Or you can download leaflet from here:-
http://www.newforest.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=5561&articleaction=dispmedia&mediaid=1958

Or you can listen to a podcast from Backpacking Light which covers general hygiene and topic such as ticks:
http://backpackinglight.audioblog.co...e1808c989d.mp3

I may have been lucky in my out door time, but to the best of my knowledge, I have never had a tick on me.

Simon

Joezilla

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 26, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Its not that bad when you get it. My close friend has got both lymes disease and rocky mountain spotted fever. Took antibiotics and is good to go.

Normally at my job I remove 3 to 4 embedded ticks a day during the bad seasons. About that time I put permanone on the clothes.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
The recent years milder weather has boosted tick numbers, hopefully some cold weather this winter will cull them a bit. You shouldn't get much bother from them in the winter anyhoo.
The O'Tom tick twister Wayland mentions is the best way of getting them off, I was amazed the first time I used one - they come out amazingly easily. In theory a skilled practicioner can get them off just as easily by hand - but I'm no skilled practiconer!

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
Problem is they vomit all the nasty stuff into you before they go.

maybe, but i've always done that, and its worked fine.

white spirit / alcohol can be useful too, or in a pinch use your knife. i dont know if its the modern correct method, but ive not had issues with it so i stick to it for now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE