Throwing Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The missus thinks this forum has a lot to answer for :)

I have never tried knife throwing - well, other than larking about as a teenager, but that doesn't count. There have been a few posts on the forum recently about throwing knives so I thought I'd have a go.

The knife below is only 200mm long x 20mm x 4mm made from some mild steel bar I have. It seems to work, so now all I have to do is make another couple as close to it as possible and learn how to throw the bl**dy things - not as easy as it looks I confess! (all advice accepted :) ).

throwing knife 1.jpg

throwing knife 2.jpg

Reactions: 0000

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
Nice. I've been throwing for years and definitely want to chuck that! Are you finding any bending issues with the mild steel? Also did you design the balance for blade held half spins or handle held full rotations? You should check out no spin throws at distance on youtube. Really weird and I've still not mastered them.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I used to throw knives when I was younger....and still can. There is a lovely term call the 'arc of dissent' it is a mathematical term taking into consideration speed, distance and resistance.

Basically throw the knife in at close quarters from the handle, take two steps backwards and throw from the blade, if that works, take another two steps back and throw from the handle until it works, repeat, until you get to the distance you want and practice.

It time you just know which way to hold the knife, and the correct amount of spin. I got very very good at one point and used to play darts (outside I will add), but with my thin profile spikes.

Enjoy

Last edited:
Reactions: Broch

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
This is maybe where I should have studied a bit more before making; it's balanced at exactly half way - so just where the blade ends and the curves start. I assumed, probably wrongly, that that's where it would be best for a no-spin throw but I can't stop it ending up hitting the target 'flat' i.e. having spun 90 degrees.

Reactions: 0000

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I used to throw knives when I was younger....and still can. There is a lovely term call the 'arc of dissent' it is a mathematical term taking into consideration speed, distance and resistance.

Basically throw the knife in at close quarters from the handle, take two steps backwards and throw from the blade, if that works, take another two steps back and throw from the handle until it looks, repeat, until you get to the distance you want and practice.

It time you just know which way to hold the knife, and the correct amount of spin. I got very very good at one point and used to play darts (outside I will add), but with my thin profile spikes.

Enjoy

Thanks; I think I need a bigger target :)

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
This is maybe where I should have studied a bit more before making; it's balanced at exactly half way - so just where the blade ends and the curves start. I assumed, probably wrongly, that that's where it would be best for a no-spin throw but I can't stop it ending up hitting the target 'flat' i.e. having spun 90 degrees.
Yeah as I say, I'm not the best with no spin either. For rotational throws you'll hear people talking about amount of steps and stuff but that's never been a consideration for me. I feel like it's the same as instinctive archery in that you don't consciously judge trajectories or "aim" and so on. You just look and throw and the super computer in your dome and your muscle memory does the rest. Just keep practicing and practice with anything you can throw with a rotation. I'll throw any spikes, darts and knives of all shapes and sizes. Yours looks really good. Keep us updated!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Start slow and close, you can be to the side so that bounce back isn't such an issue, get a feel for the knife in your hand, when your'e close it's likely to be a handle hold, then move away from the target, just 6" at a time will do. If your'e doing no spin you can carry on back and refine your throwing when you get to that point it's not sticking in, when you get out 6' you're likely to be wanting to do half spin if you're looking at that style, this you can carry on extending until you need to start looking at a full spin and you start moving back again.

To start with though i'd aim for say 10' and work on accuracy with the odd distance session, you'll get the satisfaction of getting them in the target and being accurate while gaining a feel for what you're doing which will help when you change distances.

I'm a half spin/spin thrower but have been trying to learn no spin over 10' the last few weeks, I'm ending up with a hybrid thing :D

Be careful that you look after your joints etc, throwing knives should not hurt (muscle ache is to be expected), if it is then work on technique...

I was thinking the other day that we should have a bigger knife throwing setup at the Moots....

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
The knife below is only 200mm long x 20mm x 4mm made from some mild steel bar I have. It seems to work, so now all I have to do is make another couple as close to it as possible and learn how to throw the bl**dy things - not as easy as it looks I confess! (all advice accepted :) ).

View attachment 59479

View attachment 59480

Nice knife, I've just got hold of some 30x6mm bar to make some, you've done a great job of curving the sides, I'm struggling with that and ill probably just leave them straight because fo the hassle factor! The thought of matching a few knives puts me right off.
What tools are you using?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Be careful that you look after your joints etc, throwing knives should not hurt (muscle ache is to be expected), if it is then work on technique...

I was thinking the other day that we should have a bigger knife throwing setup at the Moots....

Ah, that could be a problem; I have a dodgy right elbow from starting petrol tools :)

Maybe a knife throwing workshop for us beginners?

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
Just a basic bench grinder and a belt sander :) - I've burnt out my angle grinder (time to buy a cordless Makita one :) )
Please do not. I have one and about 3 weeks later I bought a corded 5". Unless you already have, or can afford the batteries, I strongly suggest a 240 version.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Please do not. I have one and about 3 weeks later I bought a corded 5". Unless you already have, or can afford the batteries, I strongly suggest a 240 version.

Yes, that's the reason I'm going cordless - I have a few Makita tools and sets of batteries now and I'm often working away from mains power so they're ideal. I've switched to cordless for my chain saw for anything except the full large tree felling because I've damaged the tendons in my elbow from the constant 'pull-starting' and now I'm a complete convert - much quieter and easier to use.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Nice knife, I've just got hold of some 30x6mm bar to make some, you've done a great job of curving the sides, I'm struggling with that and ill probably just leave them straight because fo the hassle factor! The thought of matching a few knives puts me right off.
What tools are you using?

To match them, drill two holes through the handle and clamp it all together as one lump with the drill bits still in place - profile to shape as a big mass.

Reactions: Broch and 0000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE