Thread "Hijacking"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I don't know if i'm allowed to write this but i'll take the chance.

A kind reminder.

A lot of threads seems to have been 'hijacked' lately. The Sunrise thread is done long ago. I noticed it has been moved to Other Chatter cause it gone off topic. Gary doesn't seem to worry so I think it's OK to talk about other stuff. But we also have a chatroom..... :wink: :roll:

If you haven't noticed there's also this 'smiley': :offtopic:

We have already been given one reprimand from Tony. :shock:

I'm not saying specific names, cause I think most of us have done it sometime in bcuk's history and I have too. :roll: :wink:

I'm always willing for a chat ontopic or offtopic chat, either on MSN or here. :biggthump

Just a thought.
Cheers :uu:

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Sometmes threads develop and become more interesting, I think this is something good. The best thing is a unmoderated forum where you can report posts that are wrong and were peope have behaved badly.

Let threads develop, sometimes they will develop in another way then it was started.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Yeah, I'm with Viking. So long as we don't go completely of the plot, a wee bit of meandering does no real harm. After all 'tis just a forum, doesn't do to take ourselves too seriously.
Hard to strike a balance I guess - like so much in life!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Viking said:
Sometmes threads develop and become more interesting, I think this is something good. The best thing is a unmoderated forum where you can report posts that are wrong and were peope have behaved badly.

Let threads develop, sometimes they will develop in another way then it was started.
Yes but it can easily turn too much. I think it's great that we can joke with eachother, but we also need to keep on track a bit. In the second last post in the fox hunting thread there's a list of topics discussed in over 300 posts... :shock: (think it was the number). It went so far as child abuse. :shock:

Cheers, :biggthump

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
No problem and I totally agree, they can be interesting. lately they've been turning into a place to just chat though and that's not good. There are other forums for that.

i don't understand your comments about an un-modderated forum?

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Tony said:
lately they've been turning into a place to just chat though and that's not good. There are other forums for that.

Oh, I'm surprised at that. I appreciate the thing at the top says "talk bushcraft here" but I felt that this was a good place to chew the fat with folks with a common interest.
I can understand the on-topic threads needing to be just that, but I didn't realise that the forum was supposed to be so regulated and on topic. :?:
Ho hum.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
i'm still getting confused by the vikings... I keep thinking theviking is the viking or viking and.... oh no, i've gone cross eyed!

I think unmoderated forums are dodgy, I don't think of moderators as big brother but more of henchmen, to serve my every whim, so I can post in the wrong area and they just move it, to keep it clean and above board and to provide a good level of service and always remember that I am their lord!!!!!

errr... more medication please!

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Lurch said:
I can understand the on-topic threads needing to be just that, but I didn't realise that the forum was supposed to be so regulated and on topic. :?:
Ho hum.

There's off topic, and then there's off topic! I have to say that I've found this forum very inviting and relaxed, and it's nice to know someone's out there keeping an overview. Keep up the good work Tony and the Mod's...mmm, sound's like a band that...

God...do you see how easy it is to go off topic, I'm talking about bands now :yikes:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Squidders said:
i'm still getting confused by the vikings... I keep thinking theviking is the viking or viking and.... oh no, i've gone cross eyed!
TheViking (me) is the youngest. Do like Gary, he calls me 'little viking' and viking..... viking. :biggthump

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
On topic off topic, no one is being forced to carry on viewing, I guess we all do out of curiosity. If you let them run I just think they would eventually run out of steam and folk would just stop viewing..

Remember one thing, all that are interested in Bushcraft will not always share the same point of view,

Frogo

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
And I'd like to think that those truly interested in Bushcraft will keep on coming back to this sight no matter how off topic people get.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
yeah I'm with ya Kim (and others)

"inviting and relaxed" is a pretty cool way to approach the whole thing

I too enjoy sharing a laugh and a bit of fun but i appreciate threads go off topic too, isnt that the nature of any discussion?

One suggestion tho, maybe a gentle PM from a mod would be a lot friendlier than flaming someone in public for going off topic, and/or moving or even deleting threads

Not even thinking of something that i have seen on this board, but on another one

Trying to find compromise and common ground is sometimes a very difficult thing

Tant

ps thanks to all the mods for making this board as great as it already is :)

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Kim said:
And I'd like to think that those truly interested in Bushcraft will keep on coming back to this sight no matter how off topic people get.
I'm definately one of them. And I also hope it will be here in 20 years and 30 and I could write this until that time came. :wink:

But Lurch, the overall topic of the site is: Bushcraft. If people want to talk off topic they can get MSN or similar or simply create an off topic thread. That's what it's there for, but remember that Bushcraft is still the general and primary thing. :)
Tony has created this forum as a place to be as he mentioned in another post, and if he wanted a forum to talk about cars or body painting in the stone age or whatever, then I don't think he would have named it: bcuk. :biggthump Just a thought.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Lurch said:
Oh, I'm surprised at that. I appreciate the thing at the top says "talk bushcraft here" but I felt that this was a good place to chew the fat with folks with a common interest.
Ho hum.
I may not have been clear....I mean that the threads discussing a subject or a question have been turned into general chats about any old thing that comes to mind. Not that you can't have a chat on here, just start a thread for a chat, don't use one that's been started for a purpose.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Tony said:
i don't understand your comments about an un-modderated forum?

I hang often on a swedish outdoor forum where they don´t use moderators and thread often get off topic, but they often develop to bcome really good threads. It´s a very free forum where they only close/move/change threads if they becomin illegal or in any other wauy really wrong. I like this way to run a forum, I think sometimes moderators moderate a bit too much. But I know many think moderators are really good.
Don´t take this wrong I really like this site, mostly because of the really good people that hang here.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Tantalus said:
One suggestion tho, maybe a gentle PM from a mod would be a lot friendlier than flaming someone in public for going off topic, and/or moving or even deleting threads

Good point and often this is done, we send hundreds of Pm's and most people do indeed adjust their comments etc It works well for the most part. Point taken though and we'll try and be more subtle. You guys need to play ball as well though, the less moderation needed the easier for everyone. Don't use us to keep the forum standards, do it yourselves and you'll never come awry
:biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE