Slow sales?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
It seems to me that in the last few months sales on the forum for all sorts of stuff have been slower than usual. There seem to be more than usual threads where folk are bumping and lowering prices and still getting no interest. I used to reckon that a new-ish item in very good condition could be 75% of original price, and things sold at that. Lately I have seen stuff sitting for quite some time and not selling till the price goes down to 50%, and sometimes doesn't sell even then. Wondering if others have noticed it too and what thoughts are about cause and duration?

Is there less disposable cash, concerns about higher costs to come dampening spending, or just fewer people frequenting the forum? Or have we all reached peak-gear-capacity and don't have room at home for any more stuff?!?

Chris

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It’s the time of year for scrimping, saving, and hibernating. Also, though we’re never going to be at peak gear capacity ;) or tempted by an impulse buy, we’re all feeling we don’t need to have more ‘stuff’. It’s just my opinion, but I think 2020 with it’s four horsemen theme has made people think before buying.

Personally I have enough ‘things’. That’s stoves, tents, knives, bags, torches, clothing etc. Already I couldn’t use them all until they‘re worn out in my own lifetime.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Two years ago I thought about if it's sensible to get a German army ground sheet. As robust as heavy, but surely good to protect a double wall tent on the sharp stones on French camping grounds.

Well, than we got the first lockdown.
I decided to look through all my equipment, to clean and maintain it.
I discovered that most of the civil stuff was fallen in pieces by aging in the storage.

I surely will not buy any civil equipment used unless it's made by Hilleberg, Ortlieb or a similar high quality brand or a pure metal product. But even these I surely will not buy because I simply really have all I need and more than I can carry in one rush.

In the end I opened an old rubber bag and discovered that I already owned the German army ground sheet. I obviously had bought it a decade ago together with a surplus sleeping bag, thought it was useless and forgot it.

I think most of us did rummage around in the outdoor equipment because we were locked into the houses and simply realised that we already own more than we are able to use up.

And the longer we discuss here equipment the better informed we become of course. The most convincing equipment isn't offered so often second hand.
Things like Mora Garberg or Pathfinder Bush Pot sold here immediately, in less than an hour perhaps. I just wondered why the plain green British army bivvy bag in perfect condition didn't sell faster.
But I guess you all have it already. Me too of course, but unfortunately it needs some repairs...

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Consistently supprises me that sellers expect more than 50% of the original price for a 2nd hand item

Lol somone after bargins

Of course it depends what it is if its used I would agree but bought and stored lnib 75% seems a fair price if its something you want

Reactions: GreyDog

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Lol somone after bargins

Of course it depends what it is if its used I would agree but bought and stored lnib 75% seems a fair price if its something you want

To be honest, I don't get out of bed for less than 20% off for brand new in the sales so I'm with BA, it would have to be very special for me to pay over 50% for anything second hand. :)

Reactions: BJJJ and Herman30

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Bushcrafters must be thrifty bunch lol

if that was ebays going rate the place would shut within a year

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Not really. Collectors' stuff goes at collectors' values but just second hand stuff goes for a lot less than 50% off new a lot of the time (depending how old it is of course).

All too often people want to recover from a buying mistake or a change of mind and hope someone else will make the same mistake albeit at a slight discount.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Indeed. Most stuff that's offered here I wouldn't take for free. There is no reason to store bad constructed equipment that's nearly unusable anyway.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Indeed. Most stuff that's offered here I wouldn't take for free. There is no reason to store bad constructed equipment that's nearly unusable anyway.
I don't know, some of it is pretty good for "bushcraft walting". :D

I must say that there is also quite useful stuff for sale here just not that often something that I am using.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Possibly the collateral and long-term impacts of Covid, Brexit, Cop26 etc. make people feel less sure about money. Inflation is at 3%, expected to be above 4.5% soon, and this is being signalled in different ways. (Mind, I am sure I remember inflation at +20% in the 70s). On the other hand, average pay is said to have gone up by 5% this year. Of course, this impacts differently on different sections of society, and quite which section(s) is represented by BCUK is unclear. If Ray Mears made another good series, sales would be brisker.

Reactions: dwardo

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
The pandemic and lockdowns have done it for me. Loss of earnings, unable to get outdoors due to said lockdowns and then having the time to realise how much stuff I actually have already. Plus I feel some of the secondhand goods are too expensive.

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
Totally agree with Riven,money is a bit tight here too,and i've had time to root out stuff i'd forgotten i had.Trouble is, there is always a new pointy,shiny this that or the other that i have to buy.It's on here too,as in What did you buy today.

Last edited:
Reactions: dwardo

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
For me, the hassles involved with shipping to from the UK have made me stop looking at the classifieds or offering equipment (usually knives) here. I also noted that the forum in term of classifieds has become exceedingly UK centric for the same reason. Totally understandable but it makes the 'market' smaller.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Not really. Collectors' stuff goes at collectors' values but just second hand stuff goes for a lot less than 50% off new a lot of the time (depending how old it is of course).
The collectors' markets seem to have gone a bit crazy recently. Anything limited edition or 'rare' is snapped up by scalpers and put back up for sale at 3 or 4 times the price. That Heinz Christmas soup that was a limited run of 500 cans is now being sold on Ebay for up to £175 a can. People seem to buy the stuff too which makes me wonder just how much spare money and lack of sense some people have...

The thing with new stuff though is that the shop is paying VAT and expenses which keeps the price higher, and very often you get free delivery and a warrantee, but as soon as you try to sell it second hand there should be no justification to keep the price the same as shop prices. Shops also almost always have a sale of 10-20% at some point or people use membership discounts etc. As they say though, something is worth what someone will pay for it and a lot of people don't seem to think about what they're paying for these days.

• Haha
Reactions: Erbswurst

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
Personally, if the second hand cost is above 50% I would probably buy new because of the ability to return an item that might prove faulty. Buying some items second hand carries a risk that there may be faults unknown to the seller.
Then again I have bought some really good kit that the original buyer no longer wanted or needed.
I do think it depends very much on the item.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I prefer the safety and customer support from reliable businesses. I've had good and bad experiences buying 2nd hand in the past and just can't be bothered with the hassle, should any arise.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think it very much depends on just what it is you're buying.

I do like that the sellers are often really open here about just why they're selling. Why it didn't suit them, what they liked and what they didn't, or simply the reason that it has ended up not being used by them.

It can be a very good way to save money on something you've had your eye on.

A down jacket for Himself comes to mind. Perfect condition, just a shade too small for the original owner when actually used, not just tried on in the shop. 50% off and it fits Himself perfectly.

Little fuel bottles for the Swedish stove thing; those were a bulk bargain price as well.

Lots of stuff like that over the years.

In all the years I've been a Mod too, very few sales go amiss. That's a credit to the membership :)

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
There are a loooot of knife sales and as much as I like the looks of them, I personally can't afford or justify £100+ for a knife, no matter how warranted the price tag is....saying that £40+ is more than I can part with at the moment..

I'm still using some cheap "building store" folding multi thing...

And most of the gear is priced out of my bracket. But good to view.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE