Thoughts on using surplus?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
I love a bit of surplus I like woods clothes to be expendable but good and surplus fits the bill. I do find now thought that I have trouble finding the larger sizes in some items.

Mark

Million

Oct 26, 2011
Swansea
I personally have:

OD shemagh
DPM lightweight trouser
DPM waterproof trouser
DPM gaiters
Pair meindl desert fox
NATO field backpack

All either from surplus or acquired from my military step-father.

All nice hardwearing kit and the items I paid for were dirt cheap.. The gaiters were £1.99 for example, in 'used once' condition. (gotta love endicotts).

As has been previously mentioned, I'd never wear a full suit, especially as Brecon is where it'll be used and I don't want to be mistaken for a squaddie on basic lol.

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
Don't confuse outdoor gear with fashion. Today there's a lot of cash to be raked by the manufacurers
of "out door" kit. Some of which is absolute rubbish; streetwear, kids clothes and fashion. All crap.

Surplus is the great oppertunity you get to beat the price/quality equation. Military gear absolutely
owns civilian gear, no matter what brand or sort you compare.

Life is too short to bother with what other people think. Get the gear you want and can afford!

Not everyone can afford 500 £ jackets. Wear what you want. Out in the woods no one can see
what gear you use anyway...

It's the out door experience that matters. You can have it at zero cost, regardless of what the gear
catalouges tell you!

character0175.gif

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
Until the begining of the year I was walking regularly with a bloke that insisted on the lastst gear from Mountain Hardware/Rab/Rohan et al who was very pushy about using "propper stuff" while I went out with him.

(Because he spent so much on gear, he had to work all the over time he could to pay for it, so didnt get out.)

Anyway, my point was that while he treats his cloths with kid gloves, and is worried about getting them dirty, he's not getting the outdoor experience.

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
It's just stuff that (usually) does the job well at a good price. Usually you aren't paying extra for the brand or marketing of the high street. It's often heavier than civvy equivalent and more low tech. You trade weight for reliability and simplicity. To summarise some previous arguments:

You already helped pay for the stuff via your taxes;
if your army couldn't sell it they would have less money so would be weaker;

It tends to survive the throwing over a cliff test and doesn't really look any worse when tatty & on its last legs - which is more in the spirit of bushcraft than precious designer stuff.

You can demilitarise it by dying, paint stripping or even painting pink circles on things.

I don't see it as the same thing as going around wearing someone else's medals. A cooker is a cooker, a tent is a tent.

SI-Den

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2011
Norfolk
I have no problem with using surplus, my kit is a good mix of civvie & military stuff and the military stuff is a bloody good mix of British, german, US, French, Austrian & Australian kit!

I'm an ex reg and current ACF instructor so have a 'reason' to go all army, but I do prefer to wear green or brown (this coyote colour thats everywhere at the moment) clothing when out but I have no problem with folks wearing camo kit - it's just clothes at the end of the day!

Den

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I have no problem with using surplus, my kit is a good mix of civvie & military stuff and the military stuff is a bloody good mix of British, german, US, French, Austrian & Australian kit!

I'm an ex reg and current ACF instructor so have a 'reason' to go all army, but I do prefer to wear green or brown (this coyote colour thats everywhere at the moment) clothing when out but I have no problem with folks wearing camo kit - it's just clothes at the end of the day!

Den

That about sums it all up, well said that man :)

rmbriar

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2011
Bangor
For me, Surplus is brilliant. Very reasonably priced, widely available and durable. My favorite heavy jacket for going out on cold days is my Soldier 95 ripstop smock. Got a few bits and pieces like a US WWII canteen, Belgium military shirt, Soldier 95 trousers and shirt and a Swedish bush coat which is a favorite. Surplus does the job for a fraction of the price for new-fangled pieces of clothing ( although the occasional treat is like like some new Crags or a Paramo ). Would be my first port of call when I'm looking for some new gear.

Shingsowa

Forager
Sep 27, 2007
Ruthin, North Wales
I try not to use DPM for my bushcraft kit as it may be perceived in the 'wrong' way by clients. That said, I do use a lot of surplus kit for my group work and for just around the farm. A Swedish snow smock dyed green is my favourite jacket for taking the gun for a walk about the fields, and I use other bits and bobs like jerry cans etc .

At the end of the day it's all about how suitable it is for the environment you want to use it in - and that includes the visual 'message' that you will be sending out.

Today i popped into Denbigh Army Surplus and took advantage of their £5 shipping container offer. You can't argue with goretex over trousers or a Swedish parka for a £5 each!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.055008,-3.404731

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
Just got back from taking the dog away from these pain in the bum fireworks, nice and toasty in my Falklands parka. And I've just seen the masive pouchers pocketI'm going to try putting a length of roll mat foam in it so I dont get a cold/wet bum sitting on the ground next time I'm out with the dog.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE