Thoughts on the 58 pat sleeping bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
sounds like it's a good bag, i'll test it out this winter as I managed to get hold of a millets tepee for £25 last week ;) I've got an argos self inflating mat and an army bivi bag so it looks like i'll be warm enough. I'll tell you guys how i get on later in the year. :)

Nikwax TX10 is great on 58 bags

I love my long i found in a surplus shop 15yrs ago and unlike silvermans Grade 1 etc :rolleyes: it was full of feathers

Warm bullet proof well bramble and stick proof and with the TX10 wash less prone to cold when damp

shame they are so bulky and heavy
(except the one i got from silvermans that would stuff into half a side pouch :eek: )

ATB

Duncan

Ferrion

Aug 17, 2004
Hull, Yorkshire
like has already been said, good when not wet, keep care of it and it'll keep care of you.

I found it to be most comfy even in cold weather, i was even lucky enough to get a Long version :) only reason i got rid of mine cause i went to the newer 90 patt bag (also long as is HUUUUUUUGE!) only real difference i find now is i don't wake up looking like a half plucked goose

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
like has already been said, good when not wet, keep care of it and it'll keep care of you.

I found it to be most comfy even in cold weather, i was even lucky enough to get a Long version :) only reason i got rid of mine cause i went to the newer 90 patt bag (also long as is HUUUUUUUGE!) only real difference i find now is i don't wake up looking like a half plucked goose

Is the newer issue bag synthetic? and does it pack smaller? also is it as warm?

Ferrion

Aug 17, 2004
Hull, Yorkshire
The newer bag is synthetic yes, it is warmer however it is a fair bit larger than the old 58 patt when packed, if i happen to be carrying that (winter stuff only, to warm for Summer IMO) the i'm using a 120 British Bergan to carry it in

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I don't think it is any bigger when packed, the 58 bag was longer whn packed as I recall. I reckon it is just because the compression sack squashes it into that shape that takes up space in the bergen as you cannot fit anyhing down the sides or whatever. It may be slightly bigger, but I doubt there is much in it. It is definitely a big dos bag though, and very warm. It also comes in handy for fancy dress as a teenage mutant ninja turtle!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I used a 58 for some time, a good bag, but heavy and very bulky. I switched to a four season sythetic, lighter but even bulkier:eek:

This winter I'll be using a 2 season bag combined with a duvet jacket, not saving much space or weight, but its more versatile

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE