Thoughts on Removing Wood from Woodland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
In a past life (i.e. when I was young) I used to get permission to go onto the MOD land and clear up the mess that was left behind when they had cut down trees. It was mainly pine species and it was difficult work because it was all heaped like a pile of 6" pick-up-sticks (you know, that game where you have to pick up the sticks without the others moving). The problem now is that I would need three copies of a risk assessment, public liability insurance and full chain-saw tickets. People like the Forestry just can't get away with letting people go and use 'tools' on their land; they'd be liable.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
In a past life (i.e. when I was young) I used to get permission to go onto the MOD land and clear up the mess that was left behind when they had cut down trees. It was mainly pine species and it was difficult work because it was all heaped like a pile of 6" pick-up-sticks (you know, that game where you have to pick up the sticks without the others moving). The problem now is that I would need three copies of a risk assessment, public liability insurance and full chain-saw tickets. People like the Forestry just can't get away with letting people go and use 'tools' on their land; they'd be liable.
I did have one person on our allotments telling me that I should not be working on the Coucil's land for free because of health and safety, insurance liabilities and all that, but there are some worry warts out there, he is the same guy who says we shouldn't be taking water from the river because we risk Weils disease.

Nativewood

Forager
Feb 9, 2015
Caledonia
Oh, oh, I think I might be a dirty rotten wood poacher! Back in 2009 at Loch Ken in SW Scotland, my old dog presented me with a stick and I made a spoon from it. Keep an eye on the court announcements, chaps...

Reactions: Onelifeoverland

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I would suggest keeping an ear out for chainsaws and/or a suggestion of future building works. I'm due to have a large build start and just lining up the felling of a dozen trees - more than I can use and it would likely be the same for anyone else!

Reactions: Onelifeoverland

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE